What's new

Your thoughts on Kino-Lorber Blu-rays (3 Viewers)

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
In case KL reads these posts which Im sure he does....
Could you guys possibly splurge for a Blu-ray of Day of the Triffids. I know Michael Hyatt wants a lot of money for it. Could you see if he might change his price for it or negotiate with him? It's a "Crime of the Century" that this movie hasn't gotten a Blu-ray or even a decent DVD release :)

PMBen

Agent
Real Name
Pablo Manzano
I recently bought and watched Kino's blu ray edition of Three Women, directed by Ernst Lubitsch. I really enjoyed the film! Because of some negative comments I had heard, I was expecting a minor or even boring Lubitsch, and I must say I was pleasantly surprised. I was entertained all the way though by the how the story was told, full of subtleties. The blu-ray looked great, not flawless, but a very natural and film-like look, and the commentary track was very informative. All in all, I strongly recommend the product, and I hope Forbidden Paradise comes next.

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
I L :emoji_hearts: ve KL Bluray's !! :D I got these Great Movies from them so far this year. With Many more to come. Thank You KL for making my movie collection special. ;)
DSC00485.JPG

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
Could you guys possibly splurge for a Blu-ray of Day of the Triffids. I know Michael Hyatt wants a lot of money for it. Could you see if he might change his price for it or negotiate with him? It's a "Crime of the Century" that this movie hasn't gotten a Blu-ray or even a decent DVD release :)
All I know about Mr. Hyatt is what I've read on "another" board -- namely that he's spent many years restoring (and/or sitting on) Triffids. If he is indeed holding out for an unrealistic upfront payment he should learn from the example of the good folks at 3D Film Archive, who approach jobs with a realistic assessment of the marketplace for titles that appeal primarily to an aging (to put it mildly) fan base, and an understanding of the over-riding objective and potential for a rising tide of getting these titles released

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
All I know about Mr. Hyatt is what I've read on "another" board -- namely that he's spent many years restoring (and/or sitting on) Triffids. If he is indeed holding out for an unrealistic upfront payment he should learn from the example of the good folks at 3D Film Archive, who approach jobs with a realistic assessment of the marketplace for titles that appeal primarily to an aging (to put it mildly) fan base, and an understanding of the over-riding objective and potential for a rising tide of getting these titles released
I've heard that the "restoration" is not a good one, I personally haven't seen it, but that's what I've heard from a couple of industry insiders. It's not just the very high asking price the potential licensee would be dealing with, but also the likeliness of a needed new transfer going back to the original scan... if it's still available and were done properly, otherwise they would need to start completely from scratch.

Again, I have seen the transfer, but have experienced this before with other rights holders who promised a restoration and delivered an HD master full of DVNR, maybe acceptable in the late 90s or early 2000s, but not today.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
I L :emoji_hearts: ve KL Bluray's !! :D I got these Great Movies from them so far this year. With Many more to come. Thank You KL for making my movie collection special. ;) View attachment 128060
Just ordered two Bob Hope films! Where There's Life and Monsieur Beaucaire never saw them! Sorry KINO had to use Amazon because I got 150.00 gift card from them for getting the Amazon card!

Mark Mayes

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Mayes
KL surely has access to one of the most popular UFA films ever released, "Congress Dances". All three versions exist: English, French and German. A new blu-ray of the German version was released by the Murnau Stiftung at least two years ago. How great it would be to get it with subtitles and the English version too, at least.

Der Kongress tanzt - 1931 - Cartel amarillo.jpg

raphdude

Stunt Coordinator
Dear KL Insider,
Any chance of getting the original Peter Sellers Pink Panther films (1963-1982) remastered in 4K for UHD BD? The original has its 60th Anniversary next year! Also if you're still licensing Fox titles, any chance of a 4K of L.A. Confidential (1997) for its 25th this year? It's a pleasure buying these 4K titles from KL! Some Like it Hot was incredible! Thanks:)

Last edited:

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Just saw a great Dick Powell film I never saw "Till The Ends Of The Earth" from Columbia, what a great film about the international opium trade during the 1940's NOT on video and with KINO and Sony now having a deal hope this can be looked at!

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Dear KL Insider,
Any chance of getting the original Peter Sellers Pink Panther films (1963-1982) remastered in 4K for UHD BD? The original has its 60th Anniversary next year! Also if you're still licensing Fox titles, any chance of a 4K of L.A. Confidential (1997) for its 25th this year? It's a pleasure buying these 4K titles from KL! Some Like it Hot was incredible! Thanks:)

Kino stopped licensing Fox titles after Disney took over Fox. At this point, I think Criterion is the only one still releasing Fox titles, and those are likely ones they licensed years ago, and are only now getting out to the marketplace.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
To the Ends of the Earth is a really good film. Powell is excellent as a US agent. Very gritty film from what i remember. A blu ray would be most welcome.
2 copies sold already thanks to us - hope KINO reading this.

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger
Dear KL Insider,

L.A. CONFIDENTIAL is Warners, not Fox.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
L.A. CONFIDENTIAL is Warners, not Fox.

"L.A. CONFIDENTIAL is Warners, not Fox."

Not anymore, unfortunately. Same with Heat (1995) Both are with Fox/Disney.

Taken from Wikipedia

On September 9, 1997, Milchan signed a 15-year distribution pact with 20th Century Fox worldwide in all media outside of foreign television rights, ending a previous association with Warner Bros. (1991–1999). Fox's parent company News Corporation (now Walt Disney Studios) funneled $200 million in New Regency, in exchange for a 20% stake in the company.[1] On January 17, 2011, Fox and New Regency extended the pact, to expire in 2022.[7]

The Walt Disney Company inherited Fox's stake in Regency Enterprises and New Regency Productions after Disney acquired 21st Century Fox's assets on March 20, 2019.[10] After Disney dropped the “Fox” name from the studio's 20th Century Fox and Fox Searchlight Pictures branding and the two studios were renamed 20th Century Studios and Searchlight Pictures, respectively on January 17, 2020, distribution of movies by Regency Enterprises transferred to Walt Disney Studios, in exchange for a 20% stake in the parent company.[11] On December 13, 2021, New Regency renewed their global theatrical distribution deal with Disney.[12][13]

DeanHarris

Agent
Real Name
Dean Harris
Franco Rossi's 1962 film, "Smog," a curious film about Italian expats experiencing Los Angeles has never had a US media release and only a shoddy Italian dvd release. Might this be one that Kino has considered?
Unknown.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks