What's new

Your thoughts on Kino-Lorber Blu-rays (2 Viewers)

Mike Frezon

Premium
And I was just pulling your leg! :laugh:

I have no real considerations that she wouldn't be a high-maintenance A-list actress who would have several factors to consider when deciding who to date. :D

Mike Frezon

Premium
It looks like ScarJo has found happiness...even without me in her life.

love-song-bobby-long-1200-1200-675-675-crop-000000.jpg

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
My wife orders blu ray/4k from Amazon UK. Discs from everywhere else I order. A batch received this week included The Thomas Crown Affair. I have seen the Brosnan effort (good) but was first time viewing of the 1960s original. I thought the film ended well, but I didn't much like the split screen effects.

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
I would love to to see KL release the following Universal titles on DVD and Blu-ray;

Bagdad (1949) - Universal released this on VHS but not on DVD or Blu-ray in Region 1 to my knowledge.

Flame of Araby (1951) - Universal released this on VHS and on MOD burned DVD-R via their Vault Series but never on pressed DVD or Blu-ray in Region 1.

The Veils of Bagdad (1953) - Universal has never released this on any home media format in Region 1.

I would also love to see KL release the following Paramount and Columbia Pictures titles:

Paramount's Omar Khayyam (also released as The Life, Loves and Adventures of Omar Khayyam and The Loves of Omar Khayyam) from 1957 on DVD and Blu-ray. Paramount released this on VHS but never on DVD or Blu-ray in Region 1but given the current state of Paramount, a release on DVD or Blu-ray seems highly unlikely.

Columbia Pictures' Song of India (1949) on DVD and Blu-ray. Goodtimes Video released it on VHS but it has never been released on DVD and Blu-ray in Region 1. Just like Omar Khayyam, such a release seems very unlikely.

Now, back to reality...

Sean

Last edited:

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Here's something really radical - some thoughts on Kino Lorber Blu-rays. What a concept to have the title of a thread actually have something that's relevant to the title of the thread :) Here we go:

Horizon's West - somehow I'd never gotten around to seeing this, even though I love Boetticher and the fine cast. I enjoyed it - not a great movie but enjoyable nonetheless. An older transfer from Universal with everything that goes with it - matrixes off, alignment off, color fringing, etc. It's for a lot of the film and renders those shots very soft. The color seems fine to me.

Vera Cruz - not quite the HUGE step up from the previous Blu-ray that I was led to believe from posts here. Definitely better, certainly, but this film has terrible opticals and there are a LOT of them. Happy to have the improvement, certainly. Not so happy with the low-level sound - same exact issue as Sweet Charity, and all one need do to hear it is put on Horizon's West and then Vera Cruz. One is right, one isn't. I'm sure someone will tell me it's fine on their system, but it isn't fine. :)

Two for the Seesaw - not quite a successful film - too many superfluous characters (it's a two-character play) and scenes outside the two apartments. But I like Mitchum and MacLaine and I absolutely love Previn's score. I also love the black-and-white scope photography. I'm pretty sure I have an overseas Blu of this somewhere - but whether I do or not I'm here to tell you this is an old transfer that could be so much better.

The Balcony - wacky movie that i saw when it was released. Fun cast, but just so weird. Transfer is certainly okay and who would have thought we'd ever have it on Blu-ray?

The Chalk Garden - looks pretty good, not perfect, but pretty good. I really like the movie and love Hayley and Deborah Kerr. Nice score by Malcolm Arnold, too.

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly - new Blu-ray that comes with the 4K. It's better, not perfect. I don't think we'll ever see perfect on this one.

More coming soon - as I bought quite a few things from the sale.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
For whatever reasons, I only have a very few Kino Lorber blu-rays. If by any chance anyone is willing to give brief recommendations of a few of their favorite pre-1980 movies on KL blu-rays, movies that have really good picture quality, I'd appreciate it. Thanks in advance.
Westerns, Film Noir, and drama. Not much interested in comedy.
@benbess I forgot to give you some recommendations so I'll list 25 titles below. TBH, my complete list of recommendations is much longer.

1. Cry of the City
  2. Night has a Thousand Eyes
  3. The Accused
  4. To Hell and Back
  5. No Name on the Bullet (Part of Audie Murphy Collection)
  6. The Last Sunset
  7. Vera Cruz
  8. Union Pacific
  9. The Plainsmen
  10. Alias Nick Beal
  11. The Web
  12. Larceny
  13. The Suspect
  14. Rough Night in Jericho
  15. The Train
  16. Apache
  17. Attack!
  18. Five Graves to Cairo
  19. Backlash
  20. Lonely are the Brave
  21. Beau Geste
  22. Canyon Passage
  23. Night Passage
  24. Man in the Shadow
  25. Ulzana's Raid

MarkA

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Abel
Here's something really radical - some thoughts on Kino Lorber Blu-rays. What a concept to have the title of a thread actually have something that's relevant to the title of the thread :) Here we go:

Horizon's West - somehow I'd never gotten around to seeing this, even though I love Boetticher and the fine cast. I enjoyed it - not a great movie but enjoyable nonetheless. An older transfer from Universal with everything that goes with it - matrixes off, alignment off, color fringing, etc. It's for a lot of the film and renders those shots very soft. The color seems fine to me.

Vera Cruz - not quite the HUGE step up from the previous Blu-ray that I was led to believe from posts here. Definitely better, certainly, but this film has terrible opticals and there are a LOT of them. Happy to have the improvement, certainly. Not so happy with the low-level sound - same exact issue as Sweet Charity, and all one need do to hear it is put on Horizon's West and then Vera Cruz. One is right, one isn't. I'm sure someone will tell me it's fine on their system, but it isn't fine. :)

Two for the Seesaw - not quite a successful film - too many superfluous characters (it's a two-character play) and scenes outside the two apartments. But I like Mitchum and MacLaine and I absolutely love Previn's score. I also love the black-and-white scope photography. I'm pretty sure I have an overseas Blu of this somewhere - but whether I do or not I'm here to tell you this is an old transfer that could be so much better.

The Balcony - wacky movie that i saw when it was released. Fun cast, but just so weird. Transfer is certainly okay and who would have thought we'd ever have it on Blu-ray?

The Chalk Garden - looks pretty good, not perfect, but pretty good. I really like the movie and love Hayley and Deborah Kerr. Nice score by Malcolm Arnold, too.

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly - new Blu-ray that comes with the 4K. It's better, not perfect. I don't think we'll ever see perfect on this one.

More coming soon - as I bought quite a few things from the sale.
I love Chalk Garden!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliwilliams12
Recent bookmarks