What's new

Your thoughts on Kino-Lorber Blu-rays (3 Viewers)

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I just got through with the cheapie "Spiderwoman Strikes Back" that Kino Lorber put out and I am absolutely appalled and disgusted by Tom Weaver's commentary. His commentary on "Incredible Shrinking Man" for Criterion was incredibly off-putting and made me shut it off after ten minutes but on this one, he actually made fun of how the film's nominal leading man, Grant Kirby (later TV's Sky King) died. I have never heard anything in more bad taste on a film commentary in my life and I will never listen to anything he does again.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
It isn't a question of how much he knows, which is indeed extensive. I had enjoyed his "Creature From The Black Lagoon" commentary years ago and that's why I expected more. What I don't care for is non-stop snarky condescension as if I'm listening to a wannabe MST3K commentary and then exploiting how a person died for the sake of making an MST3K style comment crosses a line that renders whatever information he has to be meaningless because it means I don't come away feeling like I learned something, I come away feeling I wasted an hour of my life listening to a jerk that I can't get back.

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
Got my copy of Among the Living -- two days after ordering direct via Kino (which I did just after canceling my Amazon pre-order when Amazon updated its listing to indicate delivery wouldn't happen until December).

It looks and sounds great! Watching it sans commentary initially.... but I'll happily post an update later this week once I've listened to the commentary.

So pleased Kino pulled this granddaddy of southern gothic horror movies up from the Universal vault.

Next up.... Man in Half Moon Street.... please.....? :)

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Thinking about grabbing "The Blue Lamp" love old films about police etc - never saw this is it really a good film that can be enjoyed over and over. It has a great cast and I love anything that Jack Warner stars in he really was one of the great Brit actors.

ccrawford

Premium
Real Name
Cathy
You can't go wrong with 'The Blue Lamp', a great crime/noirish entry from director Basil Dearden. I watch it at least once a year. If you like this one, look up 'Jigsaw' [1962], also stars Jack Warner and directed by Basil Dearden.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Thinking about grabbing "The Blue Lamp" love old films about police etc - never saw this is it really a good film that can be enjoyed over and over. It has a great cast and I love anything that Jack Warner stars in he really was one of the great Brit actors.
I've been meaning to watch my Kino Blu-ray for a good while now. I'll do that as one of my "Noirvember" titles in the coming days.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
I've been meaning to watch my Kino Blu-ray for a good while now. I'll do that as one of my "Noirvember" titles in the coming days.
Please let me know what ya think!! Love the title "Noirvember" maybe TCM will pick up on that next year! I have been trying to get them to do "Christmas In July" for years!

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I just got through with the cheapie "Spiderwoman Strikes Back" that Kino Lorber put out and I am absolutely appalled and disgusted by Tom Weaver's commentary. His commentary on "Incredible Shrinking Man" for Criterion was incredibly off-putting and made me shut it off after ten minutes but on this one, he actually made fun of how the film's nominal leading man, Grant Kirby (later TV's Sky King) died. I have never heard anything in more bad taste on a film commentary in my life and I will never listen to anything he does again.

If you post these comments on Classic Horror Film Boards, you might get a reply from Tom Weaver himself. He frequently responds there to member posts. I am not sure that he reads threads on this forum.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Please let me know what ya think!! Love the title "Noirvember" maybe TCM will pick up on that next year! I have been trying to get them to do "Christmas In July" for years!
Here are my thoughts about "The Blue Lamp" Blu-ray:

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
It's been said in this thread that Kino Lorber Insider has said many times that Bing Crosby's films don't sell. Curious about just what has been said, I did a search. Going through every instance of Bing or Crosby that he's ever posted at this forum shows no such statements that I could find.

Were these comments elsewhere? Not out to restart the debate from a few weeks back, just got curious what has been said and haven't been successful in locating these past comments.

Edit: And all I see at the Blu-Ray.com forum is a post stating that Bob Hope films are better sellers, with his belief based on there having been many more Bob Hope sets than there have been Bing Crosby. I see no comments stating that he's a poor seller or that Kino Lorber avoids his work.

Last edited:

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
It's been said in this thread that Kino Lorber Insider has said many times that Bing Crosby's films don't sell. Curious about just what has been said, I did a search. Going through every instance of Bing or Crosby that he's ever posted at this forum shows no such statements that I could find.

Were these comments elsewhere? Not out to restart the debate from a few weeks back, just got curious what has been said and haven't been successful in locating these past comments.

Edit: And all I see at the Blu-Ray.com forum is a post stating that Bob Hope films are better sellers, with his belief based on there having been many more Bob Hope sets than there have been Bing Crosby. I see no comments stating that he's a poor seller or that Kino Lorber avoids his work.
Perhaps they have Bing confused with Norm ... that happens all the crime ;) ...

Last edited:

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille

From the other site:

"Bob Hope films are better sellers. There's been many Bob Hope sets, I don't remember any Crosby sets except for the "Road to" ones which also feature Bob Hope."

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
From the other site:

"Bob Hope films are better sellers. There's been many Bob Hope sets, I don't remember any Crosby sets except for the "Road to" ones which also feature Bob Hope."
There have been at least 4 Bing Crosby collections released on DVD:

818auHtBiZL._SY445_.jpg
51xDg3Q9sqL._SY445_.jpg

And two small ones with each having a selection of films from both those above sets:
4180Ywm-J9L._SY445_.jpg
41Wqk7H-QbL._SY445_.jpg

None of those contain the "Road" films he made with Bob Hope.

Last edited:

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
There have been at least 4 Bing Crosby collections released on DVD:

818auHtBiZL._SY445_.jpg
51xDg3Q9sqL._SY445_.jpg

And two small ones with each having a selection of films from both those above sets:
4180Ywm-J9L._SY445_.jpg
41Wqk7H-QbL._SY445_.jpg

None of those contain the "Road" films he made with Bob Hope.

The quote was from Kino Lorber. I think they were talking about their titles.

moviepas

Supporting Actor
One Crosby 30s title that is hard to find is Too Much Harmony. There are a few Crosby fan clubs still going around the world including UK and my country. I used to belong but all the founders back to the late 1970s have passed now(there was an active earlier one) and their meeting place is too far and hard to get there for me these days.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
One Crosby 30s title that is hard to find is Too Much Harmony. There are a few Crosby fan clubs still going around the world including UK and my country. I used to belong but all the founders back to the late 1970s have passed now(there was an active earlier one) and their meeting place is too far and hard to get there for me these days.
The Bing Crosby film I'd most like to have on disc is Man On Fire with a young and radiant Inger Stevens. The title song is still available on some compilation CDs but the film has gone missing in action.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks