What's new

Your thoughts on Kino-Lorber Blu-rays (9 Viewers)

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
So, the idea of actually talking about releases, quality-wise, apparently has gone the way of the dodo bird and now we have a thread that should be renamed Kino Speculations. I'd prefer the other kind of thread. Maybe we can have two, because this kind of thing is of no interest to me.
I agree that opinions about picture quality are more interesting than lists of films people would like to own.

I've recently watched all three movies in the Kino Western Box-set and all three discs have good picture quality without being startlingly good. The films are Gun For A Coward, Pillars Of The Sky and The Redhead From Wyoming.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I've recently watched all three movies in the Kino Western Box-set and all three discs have good picture quality without being startlingly good. The films are Gun For A Coward, Pillars Of The Sky and The Redhead From Wyoming.
I agree with your opinion about that Kino box-set having good picture quality except for "The Redhead from Wyoming" which I haven't watched yet. I plan to do so in the near future as I just deleted the DVD of that film from my DVD Profiler.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I finally picked up the Western Classics II set at Target in their buy 2 get 1 free sale. Hoping for the best here, it was a blind purchase but I enjoy Westerns ..

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
That's going to be first "Bob Hope" Blu-ray I watch today as I want to see for myself how much that one sequence is compromised and whether it affects my enjoyment of the movie overall.

For what it's worth (and although the cut is unfortunate and unlikely to be corrected) I still, as a fan of the movie, am glad to have it otherwise looking so good on blu-ray.

I realize individual mileage may vary but that's my two cents!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Well, my viewing of those Kino Blu-rays will have to wait until tomorrow. I just got done watching "Captain Newman, M.D." on Blu-ray. I'm now listening to the audio commentary by Samm Deighan. Thanks to Kino for these audio commentaries as I'm a sucker for them.
IMO, Kino's BD release of "Captain Newman, M.D." offers a solid video presentation and an interesting audio commentary by Samm Deighan. I've been a fan of this movie since first seeing it on local TV back in 1960s'. I'll post more thoughts about the movie itself in my "Crawdaddy's Random Thoughts" thread, but those that haven't purchased this Blu-ray should do so as it's a really good film that's been kind of forgotten and underrated for many years.

I believe Kino will be having a sale before the end of the month which isn't far off now that it's June 20th.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I agree that opinions about picture quality are more interesting than lists of films people would like to own.

I also not so long ago watched three films in the Tony Curtis box-set. Two of the films, The Perfect Furlough and 40 Pounds Of Trouble have good picture quality while the third movie, The Great Imposter, has even better images.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
after a little more reading up, after Kino/3DFA announcement this weekend, i found that O'Keefe did two brit noir's the other being The Fake (1953) which seems to have never any kind of official release, outside of its theatrical run..... ponder that, and think 10 noir box set and standalones, there is a copy on youtube, but i am not certain if it is a good print or not.

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Thanks for posting this comment; I know how annoying it is to find these issues!
I now have crossed the bluray of Nothing But The Truth off my "to buy" list.
I am wondering about that too. It would be nice if replacement discs could be issued, but since it is such a small segment of the movie, Kino might not want to bother. It may not be possible either if that is what was provided to them.

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
I have these films on my Universal Noir List (unreleased):

• Sealed Lips (1942) George Waggner
  • Destiny (1944) Reginald Le Borg
  • Smooth as Silk (1946) Charles Barton
  • Johnny Stool Pigeon (1949) William Castle
  • The Great Gatsby (1949) Elliott Nugent
  • One Way Street (1950) Hugo Fregonese
  • Shakedown (1950) Joseph Pevney
  • Under the Gun (1951) Ted Tetzlaff
  • The Raging Tide (1951) George Sherman
  • Playgirl (1954) Joseph Pevney
  • The Tattered Dress (1957) Jack Arnold
  • The Midnight Story (1957) Joseph Pevney
  • The Night Runner (1957) Abner Biberman
All worthy titles here. I might add I Was A Shoplifter(1950). Tony Curtis has a supporting role(billed as Anthony Curtis).

RBailey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Hall
Also...William Castle's UNDERTOW (1949) with Scott Brady, John Russell and Dorothy Hart. It was released as a standard DVD on one of those Turner Classic Movies packages a few years back.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
I also not so long ago watched three films in the Tony Curtis box-set. Two of the films, The Perfect Furlough and 40 Pounds Of Trouble have good picture quality while the third movie, The Great Imposter, has even better images.
Yes, I watched all three. Great Imposter is the best of the lot, the 40 Pounds of Trouble, then Perfect Furlough. I love The Great Imposter and have since I saw it the day it opened.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm starting to finally watch the Kino Blu-ray releases of the following Bob Hope films. I'll start posting my thoughts about them tomorrow.

• Caught in the Draft
  • My Favorite Blonde
  • Nothing But the Truth
I watched the "Caught in the Draft" Blu-ray and thought it looked good. However, what is the time stamp for the cut sequence that is missing on this Blu-ray.

Edit: Silly me, I got the wrong movie it's "Nothing But the Truth" with the cut scene. Anyhow, I'll try to watch it today or tomorrow.

Last edited:

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
The last line we hear is Hope saying "That's unfair now, look out!" for the second time as Edward Arnold and Leif Erickson are removing his clothes on the bed (at the 59:24 mark on the DVD.) Everything for the next 26 seconds is missing (starting with Glenn Anders' line "Hey, I've got his clothes!") The next shot we see is Hope on the bed at 59:50 (on the DVD) AFTER after all three men have left the room. There's no explanation as to what happened to the three of them since we don't ever see them leave the cabin, they just disappear between shots. Its an obvious and glaring cut.

For comparison sake, the cut can be found at exactly 59:19 on the blu-ray. Hope on the bed with the blanket wrapped around him is the start of Chapter 5 on the blu-ray, and it feels as though there's a glitch that causes the film to skip to the beginning of that chapter without finishing the previous one, but this is just supposition on my part.

Edit: Silly me, I got the wrong movie it's "Nothing But the Truth" with the cut scene. Anyhow, I'll try to watch it today or tomorrow.

The time stamp on the blu-ray is 59:19.

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
30 "Likes" so far for the Saturday announcement of the forthcoming Diamond Wizard.

I'd say the Kino Lorber-3D Film Archive alliance is a productive one....

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I agree with your opinion about that Kino box-set having good picture quality except for "The Redhead from Wyoming" which I haven't watched yet. I plan to do so in the near future as I just deleted the DVD of that film from my DVD Profiler.
I watched "The Redhead from Wyoming" Blu-ray today and it's a solid video presentation. As I'm typing this post, I'm also listening to Samm Deighan's audio commentary.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm starting to finally watch the Kino Blu-ray releases of the following Bob Hope films. I'll start posting my thoughts about them tomorrow.

• Caught in the Draft
  • My Favorite Blonde
  • Nothing But the Truth
After watching two out of three Blu-rays, I'm going to hold off watching "My Favorite Blonde" to a later date. Unlike "westerns" or "film noirs", it's difficult for me to watch more than two comedies in a short period of time. I'll try to watch "My Favorite Blonde" in the next several days.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I watched Kino's 2021 Blu-ray release of "The Train". The audio and video presentations are probably derived from the same scan used for the 2014 Twilight Time BD release. However, I really enjoyed the audio commentary by Steve Mitchell and Steven Jay Rubin. Both of these WWII movie buffs offer an informative and entertaining commentary.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You can all speculate to your heart’s content, but I’m still waiting for the Kino sale we were promised would happen in June. I really do need to rack up some more debt!
The sale has begun, but unfortunately for me, I'll be sitting out this latest Kino sale. I already have all the titles on that sale list.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks