What's new

Your thoughts on Kino-Lorber Blu-rays (2 Viewers)

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
This thread is very helpful but depressing lol, since 2 stars with a "No" automatically eliminated the obscure titles I had most hoped for (DIXIE - Bing and LADY IN THE DARK - Ginger Rogers.)

Still, I hope the list yields films with Fred Astaire, Francis Farmer (a Paramount leading lady) and Fred McMurray.
Dixie would be an interesting choice, although the black face routines in the movie would turn off many viewers today. It is a good movie with Bing singing Sunday, Monday or Always and Dorothy Lamour, Marjorie Reynolds(another underrated actress) and Billy de Wolfe are all excellent as the supporting cast. It was actually released a few years back as a Region 2 DVD by Universal Hollywood Classics and Simply Media. I have a copy of it. Lady In The Dark would also be another interesting choice with Ginger Rogers in a different type of role than one she normally would do.

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
A lot of stuff I'd love to see Kino release from Universal, but most aren't terribly conceivable. However, I did think the Dorothy Lamour 'sarong' pictures had a shot, so I'm quite disappointed none are slated with this new deal. Those are some of the films from the Universal library that I'd most like to view in tip-top shape. They should look gorgeous. Would also love to see some of those Peggy Ryan, Donald O'Connor wartime musi-comedies come out (I guess those Jivin' Jacks and Jills reunion gatherings have long since folded, with everyone pretty much gone). These seem even less likely, of course. I also echo John on the "Henry Aldrich" films. Always loved that series. Only the latter two entries are a tad lame.

Most of the things I really crave are frankly even more inconceivable, like the Universal westerns of Tom Mix and Buck Jones. Or those great little Paramount B-films that Robert Florey and Louis King were directing. Those are knockouts. I'd love the charming "Our Hearts Were Young and Gay" (1944), with Gail Russell and Diana Lynn. Does the Universal vault contain a copy of Luis Trenker's "The Prodigal Son" (1935), with its NYC location footage and the super-pretty Marian Marsh? Long been curious to see that one. Sorry to hear the terrific "Crime Without Passion" (1934) is unavailable. Lots of good, unheralded films from Paramount out there. I love "The Miracle Man" (1932) and "Hollywood Boulevard" (1936). The Jack Benny titles would also be something I'd welcome with open arms. I like 'em all. I wish Kino put out a set like that Reginald Denny one, but devoted to Laura La Plante, but it seems no silents this go-round.

Another thoroughly impossible item I'd like to finally encounter is "See America Thirst" (1930-Univ), with Harry Langdon and Slim Summerville. I had an old friend who saw it as a teenager when it came out, and he used to constantly bring it up, remembering it as the funniest film he ever saw. It was apparently screened a few years back at a Cinevent or a Capitolfest, and two folks I talked to who saw it said it was pretty dire. But what the heck, I'd like to see it. After all, it also has Bessie Love in it, and she's always a pip.
I do like many of the titles you mentioned, especially the O'Connor & Ryan ones(many also featured Gloria Jean). These are long shots though along with many of those 40s Universal titles with the Andrew Sisters, Anne Gwynne, Elyse Knox, Grace McDonald, Martha O'Driscoll and more of my favourite gals from Universal. What a great number of musicals, dramas, comedies and westerns not seen by many in a long time!

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Lucky Jordan is a possibility as both Alan Ladd and Frank Tuttle were confirmed in the deal.
Salty O’Rourke was ruled out, as there are no Raoul Walsh titles included in this new batch.
Thank you. I forgot no Raoul Walsh directed titles.

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
Question for KL Insider concerning Hunchback of Notre Dame (1923):

Now I realize it’s probably a little early to be asking about stuff like this, but what kind of score will you be using for Hunchback (orchestral, piano, organ, or electronic)?

Note: If this should go in the other KL thread, feel free to redirect this question to that thread.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
my question if anyone has seen this film was deleted maybe this is where it belonged? Sorry about that - any chance of seeing this released-- another Mitchell Leisen film?
1623712158922.png

Attachments

• 1623690468805.png
    1623690468805.png
    138.6 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
See my question if anyone has seen this film was deleted maybe this is where it belonged? Sorry about that - any chance of seeing this -- another Mitchell Leisen film? View attachment 100403

That's actually a Raoul Walsh film. And the chances are slim to none since none of Walsh's work is part of this new deal.

I believe he's thinking of the follow-up, ARTISTS AND MODELS ABROAD (1938, pairing Benny this time with Joan Bennett) which IS a Mitch Leisen film (and a much better movie than the original, if you ask me)

Even imdb has the wrong movie's poster as the identifying photo.

Last edited:

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
I believe he's thinking of the follow-up, ARTISTS AND MODELS ABROAD (1938, pairing Benny this time with Joan Bennett) which IS a Mitch Leisen film (and a much better movie than the original, if you ask me)

had the correct poster earlier I will correct it now

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo

I had the correct poster earlier then the post I think was gone I think I had it in the wrong thread so I reposted and yes IMDB had the wrong poster!

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Question for KL Insider concerning Hunchback of Notre Dame (1923):

Now I realize it’s probably a little early to be asking about stuff like this, but what kind of score will you be using for Hunchback (orchestral, piano, organ, or electronic)?

Note: If this should go in the other KL thread, feel free to redirect this question to that thread.
I have no idea, all the details will be announced later.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Got my three copies of Alias Nick Beal ordered from you direct, will they ship around 7/6 or so to get here for release date of 7/13??? Cannot what for this title! Thank you Kino for getting this great film!

NoirFan

Auditioning
Real Name
Peter Donolo
Thirteen 1940s and twenty-four 1950s FILM NOIR titles were added to our current Universal deal.

And there at least a dozen or so more noirish titles from the 30s, 40s and 50s.
Almost 40 noir/noirish Universal and (presumably) Paramount films! Incredible! This is bound to fill in a huge part of the film noir gap. Hopefully, many of them are new to home media!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks