What's new

Your thoughts on Kino-Lorber Blu-rays (2 Viewers)

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Cohen Bros did a Sirk 2 fer with Lured and Scandel in Paris, but has been out of print for some time!! Great casts and seemed to be clean prints. I'd love to have either of these on BD!!!

Kino Lorber is now Cohen's distributor. This release is listed as "Temporarily Out of Stock", which likely means they just need to have more units pressed.

Oh, and it's Cohen Media Group, not "Cohen Bros." You're getting it mixed up with Joel and Ethan Coen. ;)

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I have seen Lured and didn't like it much.
I hope Kino could release another Sirk I loved and missed it on blu-ray (the Eureka release is long OOP):
A Time to love and a time to die
It wasn't Gas Light, but it was a nice cast, all doing thier thing and in proper stalking time, LOL! Nice to see a young Lucile Ball, Boris K doing hie thing and the swave G Saunders in the mix...This is why we all have different wants. Sorry you didn't enjoy it, I won't piss on your corn flakes either, ;)

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier

Kino Lorber is now Cohen's distributor. This release is listed as "Temporarily Out of Stock", which likely means they just need to have more units pressed.

Oh, and it's Cohen Media Group, not "Cohen Bros." You're getting it mixed up with Joel and Ethan Coen. ;)
Yep you are correct, but I'm sure you understood the expression intended ? In the Kino listing has said that for 7, going on 8 months now, rather a long time to be "temporaraily out of stock", agreed?

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
LURED is also one of the five films in the Kino GLAMOUR GIRLS Box Set, which is available for a decent price on eBay. A used set listed as "very good" is just $25.00.

Last edited:

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
LURED is also one of the five films in the Kino GLAMOUR GIRLS Box Set, which is available for a decent price on eBay.
Not a big box set fan...and $60 for dvds...thanks for the info though!! I appreciate it but I'll wait!!

J. Casey

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
Spent some time with MAIGRET season 1 (1960-61) today. Some may expect me to complain about the kinescope sourcing for the episodes. Yes, it's a low rez source, but it is what it is and we're lucky to have them. But what I really wanted to complain about is the smutty nature of the stories. We sat down for some great family entertainment and were met with women with large (hmmm) cleavage and even one admitting being a stripper!

Seriously, a great series that we're lucky to see today. Rupert Davies was my favorite Maigret (and Georges Simenon's as well!). Looking forward to future seasons (I think there were 4 in total). Network in the UK released a blu-ray set of the complete series and Kino is giving us individual season sets here in the US.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Yep you are correct, but I'm sure you understood the expression intended ? In the Kino listing has said that for 7, going on 8 months now, rather a long time to be "temporaraily out of stock", agreed?

Perhaps, but keep in mind that when a title is Out of Print, and no longer offered, it's removed from Kino's site. Check, for example, Duel in the Sun. That the Sirk double-feature is still listed tells us that it's still being offered.

Last edited:

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
Perhaps, but keep in mind that when a title is Out of Print, and no longer offered, it's removed from Kino's site. Check, for example, Duel in the Sun. That the Sirk double-feature is still listed tells us that it's still being offered.
After a while you get tired of going to an empty store...being ware of the shipping chain issues, Kino could at least update the listing? Going on 8 moths with no updates is a good as OOP to most people. How long does "Temporary" apply?

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Kino had an email recently that said they were doing a 4K version of Three Days of the Condor “soon.” I hope they can make an announcement on this sooner rather than later, since Paramount is re-releasing the Blu-ray on Feb. 14. Personally, I like to wait for the Kino 4k, but I’d like to have an idea of when it might be.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Kino had an email recently that said they were doing a 4K version of Three Days of the Condor “soon.” I hope they can make an announcement on this sooner rather than later, since Paramount is re-releasing the Blu-ray on Feb. 14. Personally, I like to wait for the Kino 4k, but I’d like to have an idea of when it might be.
I wouldn't purchase that Paramount Blu-ray.

COMING SOON on 4KHUD:
Brick (2005)
Bug (2006)
Cry Baby (1990)
Face/Off (1997)
Leviathan (1989)
Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels (1998)
The Longest Yard (1974)
The Manchurian Candidate (1962)
The Night of the Hunter (1955)
Red Dragon (2002)
Ronin (1998)
Serpico (1973)
Staying Alive (1983)
Sudden Death (1995)
3 Days of the Condor (1975)
Thunderbolt and Lightfoot (1974)
To Live and Die in L.A. (1985)
The Train (1964)
Underworld (1985) aka Transmutation

B....

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Blair
Talk about bad timing for my very recent Paramount BD purchase! Love this movie. Any more news on their upcoming 4K of "The Train"?

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
OK I've got to confess I've had little interest in getting a 4K player. To me, my 3D blu ray player provides me the ultimate home viewing experience. Alas, studio homevid departments have jettisoned 3D blu rays of their 3D theatrical releases to make way for flat 4K releases of these titles.

And, judging by the massive studio/distributor output of 4K discs, 4K players apparently are selling... so I'm compelled to ask...

If one has a blu ray player and a 4K UHD TV (like I do), does upgrading to a 4K player really make a dramatic viewing difference?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
OK I've got to confess I've had little interest in getting a 4K player. To me, my 3D blu ray player provides me the ultimate home viewing experience. Alas, studio homevid departments have jettisoned 3D blu rays of their 3D theatrical releases to make way for flat 4K releases of these titles.

And, judging by the massive studio/distributor output of 4K discs, 4K players apparently are selling... so I'm compelled to ask...

If one has a blu ray player and a 4K UHD TV (like I do), does upgrading to a 4K player really make a dramatic viewing difference?
I see significant improvement in picture quality when watching 4K discs compared to the Blu-ray of the same movie title. There might be some exceptions, but they're few and far between based on my personal experience. I have over 700 4K/UHD titles in my disc collection that is approaching 13,000.

RichMurphy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rich
Probably not, given the size of your TV screen. But it might make a dramatic LISTENING difference if you pipe your sound through a home theater system. As I have mentioned elsewhere, the main advantage for me of a UHD release in the inclusion of a Dolby Atmos track, which usually is left off of the concurrent Blu-Ray release.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks