What's new

Your thoughts on Kino-Lorber Blu-rays (2 Viewers)

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Imagine my surprise, visiting this thread after a two-day absence and finding a picture of a portion of my basement. I'm glad you folks like my setup for the Studio Classics. And to let you know I have not unfairly discriminated, all other Kino product (Classics, International, regular releases and all the dvd editions) are grouped together in another room. And a special note to B-Roll: Due to your complaint the Star Wars/Star Trek marriage is over; they have divorced and are now living in separate quarters. Again, glad you folks enjoyed the photo.

Russ
Hey Russ don't you mean separate quadrants?🤣

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Imagine my surprise, visiting this thread after a two-day absence and finding a picture of a portion of my basement. I'm glad you folks like my setup for the Studio Classics. And to let you know I have not unfairly discriminated, all other Kino product (Classics, International, regular releases and all the dvd editions) are grouped together in another room. And a special note to B-Roll: Due to your complaint the Star Wars/Star Trek marriage is over; they have divorced and are now living in separate quarters. Again, glad you folks enjoyed the photo.

Russ
I would love to have your set up and I did at one time. However, my collection totals more than 10,000 DVD's and Blu-rays, so I had to jettison the cases and place them in binders. I do save the covers and inserts for when I leave this earth and my heirs can sale them. Lol. After the holidays I'll post a picture of mu collection Right now the room is full of Mardie Gras decorations to put up Jan 8 and mardie gras throws.

I also have hundreds of Kino releases that I treasure.

EDIT:
Sorry this the wrong thread. It should have been in discussions. It can be deleted or mover

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I would love to have your set up and I did at one time. However, my collection totals more than 10,000 DVD's and Blu-rays, so I had to jettison the cases and place them in binders. I do save the covers and inserts for when I leave this earth and my heirs can sale them. Lol. After the holidays I'll post a picture of mu collection Right now the room is full of Mardie Gras decorations to put up Jan 8 and mardie gras throws.

I also have hundreds of Kino releases that I treasure.

EDIT:
Sorry this the wrong thread. It should have been in discussions. It can be deleted or mover
Allen,

Do you have a link to the types of binders you utilized for your collection as I might have to start doing this process as I'm about out of room for disc storage?

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Allen,

Do you have a link to the types of binders you utilized for your collection as I might have to start doing this process as I'm about out of room for disc storage?
Why spend your money on binders?
Just buy a bigger house. Geez. Sometimes the simplest solutions aren't even thought of. :D

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Why spend your money on binders?
Just buy a bigger house. Geez. Sometimes the simplest solutions aren't even thought of. :D
When I bought my house, I made sure I had a room just for the binders. Below is a picture, but the room is a mess until after Christmas. My decoration storage boxes are in there until after the 12th night.

There are 100’s of Kino titles in the binders.

Attachments

• AE3C16B4-27AD-4151-82AC-54747D608552.jpeg
    AE3C16B4-27AD-4151-82AC-54747D608552.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 69

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Whatever happened to Ronin? announced on May 8 right here
In 2023:

COMING SOON on 4KHUD:
Brick (2005)
Bug (2006)
Cry Baby (1990)
Face/Off (1997)
Leviathan (1989)
The Longest Yard (1974)
The Manchurian Candidate (1962)
The Night of the Hunter (1955)
Red Dragon (2002)
Ronin (1998)
Serpico (1973)
Staying Alive (1983)
3 Days of the Condor (1975)
Thunderbolt and Lightfoot (1974)
To Live and Die in L.A. (1985)
Underworld (1985) aka Transmutation

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Unfortunately, it looks like "The Train" has been dropped from being a 4K/UHD release in 2023.
Not a great loss. Excellent film. Little to no real value in 4k. A quality Blu-ray will more than suffice,

Let us not get over-enthused by 4k merely for the sake of 4k.

stevenHa

Second Unit
Universal and MGM allow us to do new masters for them, so do some others like Disney and Lionsgate.

We oversaw our new Paramount masters in the first deal, but this time around they have final approval.

Fox and Sony does not allow their licensees to oversee their new transfers. Not sure if the Fox rules changed after they were acquired by Disney, I guess we'll find out one day.

Not sure which deal Paramount's Spawn of the North was included in, but could Kino explain why it has such a noticeable grain ?

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
It’s my money!
Robert -

No one is suggesting how you or others spend $$. I’m merely making the point that the concept and selection of 4k releases has gone (in some cases) FAR beyond any perceived technical benefits over a high quality Blu-ray derived from the same master element.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I’m merely making the point that the concept and selection of 4k releases has gone (in some cases) FAR beyond any perceived technical benefits over a high quality Blu-ray derived from the same master element.
You have made that point a number of times in different threads. That point is taken, but it’s still a business in which moving units is imperative when it comes to profitability.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
You have made that point a number of times in different threads. That point is taken, but it’s still a business in which moving units is imperative when it comes to profitability.
True. But my major point was to acknowledge that I’m not attempting to restrict the way that you spend $$ on whatever you wish.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Robert -

No one is suggesting how you or others spend $$. I’m merely making the point that the concept and selection of 4k releases has gone (in some cases) FAR beyond any perceived technical benefits over a high quality Blu-ray derived from the same master element.
in your opinion.

Other people have seen value in the 4K releases.

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
Not a great loss. Excellent film. Little to no real value in 4k. A quality Blu-ray will more than suffice,

Let us not get over-enthused by 4k merely for the sake of 4k.
I don't have a 4K player but I still wonder about the decision making at KL:
1. Is it altruism? KL compared the 4K with the 2K and could detect no difference.
2. 4K pressing plants are stressed? Look how long Invaders From Mars took to get to market.
3. The market is saturated with The Train releases? I have the Arrow, thinking no one else after TT would release it.

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
HDR masters are 2 to 3 times more expensive than BD, authoring 6-10 times more and replication 3-4 times more. So why did we decide to release THE TRAIN on UHD? It's one of the greatest war films of all time, Twilight Time released it twice selling 6000 units, we released it on BD, better packaging, new extra, same transfer and it has sold over 6000 more units, giving us the confidence to release it on UHD. This new transfer will blow away any previous transfers done for the film, so we hope many of the people who purchased the film on BD will decide to upgrade. And we're very confident, they will.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
HDR masters are 2 to 3 times more expensive than BD, authoring 6-10 times more and replication 3-4 times more. So why did we decide to release THE TRAIN on UHD? It's one of the greatest war films of all time, Twilight Time released it twice selling 6000 units, we released it on BD, better packaging, new extra, same transfer and it has sold over 6000 more units, giving us the confidence to release it on UHD. This new transfer will blow away any previous transfers done for the film, so we hope many of the people who purchased the film on BD will decide to upgrade. And we're very confident, they will.
It's a wonderful film that every serious collector should have in their library. I'm hopeful that there's enough of an uptick from Blu to 4k that it stands out.

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
I pre-ordered Secret of the Incas from Kino, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Omar Khayyam (1957) is part of the Paramount and will be released on both Blu-ray and DVD so I can enjoy a double-dose of Yma Sumac!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks