What's new

Your thoughts on Kino-Lorber Blu-rays (9 Viewers)

B....

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Blair
Just got KL's "The Score" 4k /BD combo (Paramount) w/Robert DeNiro & Edward Norton. Very nice add.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Here I am - things got busy. Well, as someone said earlier, it may be a 4K transfer of the original camera negative, but IF it is, I don't know who's doing their transfers but The Counterfeit Traitor should not look as it does. It's almost like they spent almost no time on the color - the outdoor scenes seem to have some kind of timing applied, just not enough, while the interiors, especially the apartment where Holden meets with Hugh Griffith are horrible - brown, pasty flesh tones and if anyone thinks that's what the dye transfer prints looked like, think again. It's also never quite sharp enough for being a 4K transfer off the camera negative. I love the film, saw it many times back in the day at the Warner Hollywood, and owned an IB print.

In other news, the much-lauded and praised The Rainmaker transfer is also weird to my eyes. Yes, the color is nice and saturated, but them saying it's a 6K transfer off the VistaVision negative is either false or it's just not good work. And the proof is there for anyone to see - just compare its sharpness to White Christmas or The Ten Commandments or even Vertigo - all off the VistaVision negatives. There is simply no comparison, sharpness-wise. Them's my two centimes.

Gerani53

Second Unit
Real Name
Gary Gerani
Had no problem with THE RAINMAKER, which I thought looked amazing, but THE COUNTERFEIT TRAITOR left a lot to be desired, both as a movie and as an OCN transfer. Obviously Kino is at the mercy of whatever material Paramount provides them with, and from a quality standpoint, it's a case-by-case situation.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Had no problem with THE RAINMAKER, which I thought looked amazing, but THE COUNTERFEIT TRAITOR left a lot to be desired, both as a movie and as an OCN transfer. Obviously Kino is at the mercy of whatever material Paramount provides them with, and from a quality standpoint, it's a case-by-case situation.
I had no problem with it either, save for the fact that it doesn't look like it came off a VistaVision negative - not like White Christmas or Ten Commandments - just compare and tell me you don't see a difference in quality. Report back.

Gerani53

Second Unit
Real Name
Gary Gerani
I'll check when I have the time, thanks. My memory was that the Blu-ray on WHITE CHRISTMAS (released a number of years ago) looked really excellent. Ditto Paramount's more recent COURT JESTER Blu-ray. But that was also my reaction to Kino's RAINMAKER release, with the OCN transfer also prepared by Paramount. Perhaps it's not quite as good as the others, but it was impressive to my eyes nonetheless. I'll dare to compare somewhere down the line.

willyTass

Supporting Actor
seems a lot of Imprint"s and KINO's sources are controversial, going back to A Place In The Sun. Though its the New Paramount were dealing with so all manner of exaggeration and duplicity is par for the course

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
I want to buy the Pink Panther cartoon collection from Amazon, but I see volume 3 has some problems:
Is it that bad? Meaning, is it blink-and-you'll-miss-it moments or it's very obvious?
:huh:

rdimucci

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert DiMucci
In addition to Sorrowful Jones, Damon Runyon's "Little Miss Marker" story was used as the basis for Universal's 1962 film Forty Pounds of Trouble, directed by Norman Jewison and starring Tony Curtis, Suzanne Pleshette and Claire Wilcox; and Universal's 1980 film Little Miss Marker, directed by Walter Bernstein and starring Walter Matthau, Julie Andrews and Tony Curtis.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
More Bickford!
Marker is a GREAT film!!!!!!! Has anyone read this? Was Marker Temples last Paramount?
1671144101156.png

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I want to buy the Pink Panther cartoon collection from Amazon, but I see volume 3 has some problems:
Is it that bad? Meaning, is it blink-and-you'll-miss-it moments or it's very obvious?
:huh:
I'm just finishing Volume 3 and about to start 4. I never noticed anything wrong so I would say its blink.

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Wow, just viewed the new KL Blu of The Hallelujah Trail. You will not be disappointed with this new HD transfer! 2.35 A/R, 155:40 running time for this Roadshow edition with 12 chapter stops. Brief and not critical film damage evident at about the 2:06 mark. (126 minutes into the film on the left of the frame, only briefly seen).

And the commentary by Mike Schlesinger and C. Courtney Joyner is very enjoyable as well! Among volumes of fascinating and engaging info, they inform us that producer Walter Mirisch is still with us at 102 years old!

A first class KL edition all the way!

I saw this film first-run as a nine year old in summer 1965.

Last edited:

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
All of the following films based on Mickey Spillane stories listed below have all been released on physical media and since Kino-Lorber has released three of them, is there any chance Kino-Lorber could acquire the rights to release The Delta Factor (1970)?:

I, the Jury (1953) released on 11/08/2022 by ClassicFlix
The Long Wait (1954) being released on 3/21/23by ClassicFlix
Kiss Me Deadly (1955) released on 6/21/2011 by Criterion
My Gun is Quick (1957) released on 3/24/2020 by Kino-Lorber
The Girl Hunters (1963) released on 10/21/2014 by Kino-Lorber
I, the Jury (1982) released on 9/8/2016 by Kino-Lorber

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
A KLSC fan shared this photo of their collection with us. Wow!

He said "Well, the December sale order has been received, catalogued and shelved. There's still space available for over 500 more KLSC titles. Bring on March/April!"

View attachment 167499
Wow! Impressive and beautifully arranged.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
My final haul from the Winter Wonderland sale. I send money to KL; my wife sends daggers.

Nixon (Special Edition) (Blu-ray)1$13.99
Crackers (Blu-ray)1$8.49
Losing Ground (Blu-ray)1$7.99
The Woman Who Left (Blu-ray)1$6.49
Never Gonna Snow Again (Blu-ray)1$7.49
The Europeans (Blu-ray)1$9.99
Dressed to Kill (4KUHD) (4K UHD)1$14.99
France (Blu-ray)1$7.99
De Sade (Blu-ray)1$9.99
Maya Deren Collection (Blu-ray)1$9.99
Beyond Therapy (Blu-ray)1$6.49
Sub-Total:$103.89

RussWH

Auditioning
Real Name
Russ Hughes
Imagine my surprise, visiting this thread after a two-day absence and finding a picture of a portion of my basement. I'm glad you folks like my setup for the Studio Classics. And to let you know I have not unfairly discriminated, all other Kino product (Classics, International, regular releases and all the dvd editions) are grouped together in another room. And a special note to B-Roll: Due to your complaint the Star Wars/Star Trek marriage is over; they have divorced and are now living in separate quarters. Again, glad you folks enjoyed the photo.

Russ

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks