What's new

Your thoughts on Kino-Lorber Blu-rays (3 Viewers)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm hoping that the following Universal titles get released on DVD:

Hellzapoppin' (1941)
Bagdad (1949)
Flame of Araby (1951)
The Veils of Bagdad (1953)
The Sign of the Pagan (1954)

And the following Paramount titles gets released on DVD:

The Big Broadcast (1932)
The Big Broadcast of 1936 (1935)
The Big Broadcast of 1937 (1937)
The Remarkable Andrew (1942)
Secrets of the Incas (1954)
Omar Khayyam (1957)
St. Louis Blues (1958)
DVD??? Do you mean Blu-ray?

MarkA

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Abel
The Truth About Spring...please!

Attachments

• A1Cmpzp-ZTL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    A1Cmpzp-ZTL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    341.4 KB · Views: 20

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
The Miracle of Morgan's Creek since they still have a Paramount deal. One of the odd Paramount pre 48 not sold to MCA/Universal.

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Since other people are mentioning titles, how about these.... I know all extreme longshots, but hey....
Tom Sawyer(1930)
Huckleberry Finn(1931)
The Parson Of Panamint(1941)
A Medal For Benny(1945)
Miss Tatlock's Millions(1948)
Ruggles Of Red Gap(1935) Not as much of a longshot since it was on DVD.
All above Paramount titles
Some Universal titles later...

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Since other people are mentioning titles, how about these.... I know all extreme longshots, but hey....
Tom Sawyer(1930)
Huckleberry Finn(1931)
The Parson Of Panamint(1941)
A Medal For Benny(1945)
Miss Tatlock's Millions(1948)
Ruggles Of Red Gap(1935) Not as much of a longshot since it was on DVD.
All above Paramount titles
Some Universal titles later...
None of these are part of our deal. We had asked for Ruggles a few years ago, but it was licensed to another label.

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
I like all the ones everyone mentioned on here. Should be an interesting selection of titles Kino will have for us for next year. Maybe more with no previous video release.

None of these are part of our deal. We had asked for Ruggles a few years ago, but it was licensed to another label.
Criterion strikes again? And was it ever released?

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
DVD??? Do you mean Blu-ray?
Or both. Many of the titles on my list are not exactly the most popular films in terms of widespread appeal and some of them have been released have been previously released on VHS tape but not on disc, hence, I'm realistically hoping for at least DVD releases; Blu-ray would be the cherry on top!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
1660644265985.png

It's been several years since the last time I watched "China" (1943) starring Loretta Young, Alan Ladd and William Bendix. I think my last viewing was when the DVD came out in 2013. This WWII film was directed by the underrated John Farrow. I forgot how brutal this movie was considering when it was made and released. Some fine action sequences with some rather violent scenes. Ladd as an oil supplier in China during the time when the Japanese invaded the country just before Pearl Harbor. Bendix plays his sidekick while Young plays an American teacher they meet along their journey. The cast is made of mainly Asian actors which was rare for a Hollywood movie during that time. Still far too many cliches and stereotypes, but it does give some of the Asian characters more depth than usual Hollywood films from that era.

The Kino Blu-ray offers a good video presentation that I would grade 4 on a scale of 1-5 with 5 being the best. I discarded the DVD before I could compare it to this Blu-ray, but I don't remember the DVD looking this good. It's not a pristine video presentation, but there is nothing that took me out of the movie. The audio commentary by Eddie Von Mueller was informative and entertaining. He said something about Robert Mitchum that I didn't realize beforehand and I find it hard to believe due to how he conducted himself. Anyhow, a solid Blu-ray release by Kino.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks