Your Thoughts On Kenwwod 7070 & 7060

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Bill Will, Apr 7, 2004.

1. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

A friend just called me & wanted my advice on these Kenwood Receivers models VR-7070 & VR-6070 that ecost has for $195.99 delivered. Both are "NEW" & not refurbs he tells me & if I remember right the 7070 has the Kameleon type remote otherwise the receivers are the same? Any info or thoughts about the receivers & remotes would be helpful, Thanks.

2. Johnny_M

Johnny_M Second Unit

Well, I've had the Kenwood 7080 for a few months now and am very happy with it. I'm not sure the difference with the other models. I upgraded from a Sony and the difference was awesome! As far as sound I think its a really good entry level system, to get me by until I decide to go with seperates. The chameleon remote however is over rated!! It looks really cool, but its not comfortable to use. its big, and because you cant feel the buttons you have to constantly look at the remote, even just when changing the volume. Not to mention this thing is a huge battery hog. I ended up buying a cheap learning remote and use that instead. But the chameleon is a good conversation peice anyway.

johnny

3. Steve Lumbert

Steve Lumbert Stunt Coordinator

I just got a VR-7080 about 2 weeks ago from e-cost and have been pretty happy with it. At first I thought the Kameleon remote was the coolest thing until it wouldn't fully control my Pioneer Elite DV-45A or do the video switching on my Hitachi HDTV. I do like the flexibility to run the 6th channel to power a passive sub, which I am doing.

It was my understanding that the 7070 and 7080 were basically the same except for the remote and the Kameleon remote was only included with the 7080 but I could be wrong.

4. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

Thanks guys, but I guess I got it wrong. It's the "80" that has the chameleon type remote & when I checked ecost's site the 7060 is a refurb & the 7070 is new. Anyone know what the differences are between the "60" & "70" because I'm guessing that the only differences between the "70" & "80" are the remote & it's seems strange to me that the "60" refurb is selling for the same price as a new "70" Are they all the same receiver's with just different remotes ?

5. Johnny_M

Johnny_M Second Unit

I checked out Kenwoods home page and as far as I can tell the only difference is the 7070 is THX, the 7060 is not. Other wise the features look the same. The 7080 appears to be identical to the 7070 with the added remote. Heres the link for all the specs on each one.

Kenwood Website

Johnny

6. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

The 7060 is the same as the 7070 minus THX cert/processing and pre-outs for all channels. If you plan on ever adding an external amplifier you'll need pre-outs for all channels which the 7060 lacks.

7. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

Thanks guys, After checking some websites I found there was a Kenwood VR-7070A which had a higher bandwidth for Component Video, 10Mhz VS. 50Mhz so maybe Kenwood got stuck with a lot of VR-7070's because who would buy the 70 if you could get the 70A for the same price so maybe they dumped the remaining 70's to ecost. I'm going to tell my friend to give it a shot because he won't be using the Component Inputs & I figure at $195.99 with free shipping he can't go too wrong. I did notice that even the cheapest "New" Kenwood Receiver's have DLP IIX but I think he can live without that. Thanks Again & if anyone has anything else to add please do.

8. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

Personaly I would go with the 6070 from ecost. It's the same price as the 7070 ($195ish), comes in black instead of silver (i'm partial to black), and was rated by Sound and Vision to put out a true 92wpc w/ all channels driven full range.

The 7070 (which most thought was essentially a silver 6070), however, tested in the low 30wpc w/ all channels driven, probably the biproduct of some kind of current-limiter added to decrease heat because the 6070 does run fairly hot.

The trade-off is that you drop to 10mhz component switching bandwidth. Seems like a very fair trade-off to me, especially if you're not switching any HD sources.

Hope this helps [​IMG]

9. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

Stephen, He called ecost & when he found out that the 6070 came with an RF remote & was "BLACK", he thought the 7070 came in either color he ordered the 6070 [​IMG] I know he's reading these posts so your post should really make him happy that he went with the 6070 [​IMG] Thanks Again.