What's new

Your thoughts on getting into Firefly and Battlestar Galactica. (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I can't speak for the fans but the stories about the decline use the facts in a way that benefits the story. Ratings are down (like any show where the fad has past) but the show has about 12 million viewers every week, is still in the top 20 every week, in the top 10 for the 18 to 49 demographic and if you factor in DVR vieweings (although the advertisers do not) the ratings have actually grown compared to the average of last year.

All the stories always compare the current ratings to the second season premiere (when it was at its biggest peak of the fad) which is about the same as comparing the ratings of a football game in week 10 to the ratings of the Superbowl and then saying that ratings are down for football and no one likes it anymore. :)

EDIT: Sorry for going so far off the topic.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
well Travis, without getting into spoilers, what do you think?
I'm assuming you're watching it- does it feel like it's spinning it's wheels or do you feel like there is traction there and it is still consistently moving forward with a goal in mind?

After all my gushing last night of BSG, I have to admit that the first few eps of 2.5 disappointed me a little in comparision to the first season and 1/2. Up until this point, I would have said that the show never 'resets' and always follows thru with exploring its plot complications-but the resolution to the Pegasus 2 parter, and the miraculous recovery of the president
seem like resets to me and an attempt to get back to a previous status quo.
In the case of the latter, I would have been sorry to see that cast member depart as I loved the conflict dymanic between them and the other characters, and the cruxt of the situation was 'ok' I guess in sci-fi terms, but I want to see that point followed up and not just ignored as a convienent deus ex machina.
There are several ways they can go with that too, and they already may have for all I know as it'll be a while before I see the third season.
I would still say I'm more heavily invested in the show and the characters than I was in Firefly (and I enjoyed that show quite a bit), but at this point I think the first season seemed tighter to me.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I love the show and I love the pace of it. That pace is admittedly slow but the show has always been that way. They are defintiely going towards a final ending and they've always been building towards it. Also, having 16 episode seasons will actually speed things up because they won't be able to have as many episodes that do not advance the main story. Unlike some fans, I don't think that EVERY episode has to contribute to the main story of the secrets behind the island.

When they reveal stuff or have big events, it's worth it because you've built up to it. Of course, I'm only speaking for myself (and there's tons of people that hate that aspect of the show) but it works for me. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks