What's new

Your thoughts on Better Cables Premium Speaker Wire (1 Viewer)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
I bought a 3-meter pair of BetterCables Premium speaker cables with Vampire banana plug terminations in November ($180), and they are very good. I am using them between Totem Arro floorstanding speakers and an NAD C 370 integrated amp. Now, I was using cheap Monster XP wire prior to purchasing the BetterCables cables, so it wouldn't have taken much to improve the sound. I went with BetterCables because of their excellent reputation and six-month return policy. Frankly, if I decide to upgrade to any other speaker cable by May, I know I have $180 to put towards them. However, I have no plans to upgrade the cables. In fact, I am looking to biamp my NAD C 370 integrated with the NAD C 270 power amp and will buy another pair of the BetterCables Premium cables when I do. These cables are excellent.

Mark Rich

Second Unit
Frankly Chip I dont care what you think. Your insulting comment was un-called for and you do not even have the common decency to apologize.

Herb

Chu's comments were perfectly on subject and I think of value. I think you and Chip are the only one who found fault in what or how he said it. Lighten up its only a forum.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Guys, how about taking it outside, huh? This bickering is offering nothing to the discussion.

Mark Rich

Second Unit
And if ya don't like it, don't read it. I'm really sick of dealing with the likes of you. You nay sayers do nothing but confront in an aggressive mannor... Frankly, my comment earlier stooped to your level and i regret doing it.
Chip E,

Nay sayer,now thats a first. I happen to believe in cables making a differance.

You acuse me of confronting? I hadnt even commented on your post and had no intentions either.That is until you insulted another forum member. A regret with insults, Amazing form.

I think I will take your advise and no longer read your posts.

Happy new year

Mark Rich

Second Unit
Keith,

Even though I do not own Bettercables products I am a big fan of theirs. They offer the best return policy in the industry and you alway hear nothing but praise for their service.

The only cable in their line-up that I happen not to like is their speakercables and that is purely a price issue and has no bearing on perfomance. I just think you can save roughly $120 for a 1m set and make them yourself. They are probably the least comlicated DIY cables to make.They may not have the silver serpent cover on them but they will sound every bit as good. I do realize that not everyone likes the DIY approach. But then again most do not hesitae to buy Monster or home depot 12awg zip and terminate themselves.These are that simple. That was my only point.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
Gentlemen:

Take your comments to each other out of this thread and to email. Keep all future comments in this thread on the subject at hand.

Dan:

I personally think that you couldn't go wrong with getting the BC speaker wires. As already mentioned they are a great company to work with, make a fantastic product and offer a very generous return policy. I would at least give them a try and see if in YOUR system they make all the difference to YOUR ears. If you don't think that the improvement is worth the investment then return them.

Parker

Brian_C

Stunt Coordinator
If you do have the time, trying two sets of cable is a great idea. The only catch is that the test must be double blind, or else psychological effects will easily taint what is perceived to be better. Have a friend help with secretly switching in and out cables.

If a 100 people were going to compare known $750 cables to $40 cables, a large percentage would already determine which one sounds better even before they listened to them.

AjayM

Screenwriter
If you do have the time, trying two sets of cable is a great idea. The only catch is that the test must be double blind, or else psychological effects will easily taint what is perceived to be better. Have a friend help with secretly switching in and out cables.
Actually this is a single blind test (where only the test subject doesn't know what's being tested). Which is more than fine for testing cables for yourself (unless you want to cheat yourself).

We still need to know what level of equipment Dan has, it makes no sense to spend $700 on speaker cables if he has a $1000 reciever. Personally I try and stay around the 10% rule for cable spending. Although with some things I may spend a little more, like the cables between my processor and amps. Or because I still want my 2-channel to be as good as it can I'll spend a little extra on speaker cables for the front stereo speakers.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Andrew

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Mark,

That was my point. The BetterCables speaker cable is so cheap that I don't see paying $140+ for them. The fact that they're basically similar in price to the Bolder Cables speaker cable (what they both charge for them) was the point I was trying to make. I agree that trying to make the Jon Risch style cables could be an exercise in futility!

So basically we both agree!

Brian

Dan Brodin

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks to all of you for you responses, I found them to be very helpful and incredibly informative. I also had no idea BC backed their product with a 6-month return policy.

The reason I originally asked this question is due to the fact that I will soon be purchasing new speakers and wanted to upgrade the speaker wire while I am at it. I am replacing the (now don't laugh!) Bose Acoustimas 10 Series 2 setup. I bought this a few years ago for a modest price ($400) considering they went for $1100 at the time. I feel they have performed adequately for what was paid, but I finally have the cash to invest in some higher quality speakers. I would never consider spending that much money on speaker wire with my existing setup, but considering this new upgrade I thought I would pose the question to the forum. So in the end, for those who asked, here is the equipment I will most likely be working with:

-Paradigm Reference Studio 60s Fronts

-Paradigm Reference Studio ADPs Surrounds

-Paradidm Reference Studio CC Center

-SVS 16-46PC

-Pioneer Elite VSX-39TX

no amp yet (next upgrade)

-Both my Pioneer CLD-99 Elite LD and Pioneer DV-C302D DVD are connected to the receiver via Monster digital optical and Coax inteterconnects.

So taking that list of equipment into account if anyone has any new comments I would very much like to hear what ya have to say.

Herb Kane

Screenwriter
Dan:

I think the best advice anyone can offer you right now is to try as many cables with your new system as possible. I know it's somewhat inconvenient but that will be the best way to determine what sounds better with your new speakers. Make no mistake about it, there will be differences. It's up to you to decide what sounds better to you in your HT. Good luck.

Regards,

Herb.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks