Your thoughts on Better Cables Premium Speaker Wire

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dan Brodin, Dec 31, 2001.

1. Dan Brodin

Dan Brodin Stunt Coordinator

I was wondering if you guys could voice your opinions on Better Cables Premium speaker wire. I just priced up a set for my system and just wanted to know if the $750 bux is worth it? Is there a noticeable difference in sound quality? If reccomendations could be made on some cheaper alternatives that don't compromise quality I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

-Dan

2. Mark Austin

Mark Austin Supporting Actor

I have never used BetterCables, remember you don't need the best stuff for your surrounds.

3. Brian OK

Brian OK Supporting Actor

Dan,

Please tell us your complete equipment list. Seems like you are spending a large sum .... $750 !!!

There is a lot of wire out there.... and based upon your components you may want to get some differing opinions.

BOK

4. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

i'm sure they look very nice, but 750 dollars for art? its your money (for now).

5. Mark Austin

Mark Austin Supporting Actor

Chu must have extensive experience with BetterCables, right? Please share it with us.

6. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

Chu, out of curiosity are you an EE? I'm curious about all your comments with regards to what people do with THEIR money..

7. MarkO

MarkO Second Unit

Cables are difficult to recomend. They may work with one system and not another. I tried a set of Better Cables across my front three channels and they diddent work out for me on my particular system. You may have diffrent results.

8. Jimmy P

Jimmy P Stunt Coordinator

As an alternative,have you checked out Bolder Cables?,they can be pricey depending on the length and terminations.
    Bolder Cables are Jon Risch designed,you can do a search and find some DIY speaker cable pages featuring his designs and it would be possible to build them yourself
    www.boldercables.com

9. Mark Rich

Mark Rich Second Unit

Bolder cables are a lot more expenise than bettercables if my memory serves me correctly. Around $170 for a 10ft pair.

They are rumored to be very good but you could also make them yourself if you have the time and a little skill.

Not sure what Bettercables uses these days but their speaker cables used to be dressed up Canare cables. Here for a fraction of the cost and a lot less effort than the Bolder/JR design you could buy the raw cable and crimp on some spade connectors. Just something to think about.

10. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Cinematographer

AFAIK wire is wire for speaker cables. All that counts is the thickness of the conductors, is it 12 gauge for runs over 30 feet and 14 gauge for runs over 15?
    I don't think this oxygen free bit makes a lick of difference, except for transparent sheath cables where the attractive gold color may turn an ugly green (mine did) if the cable is not "oxygen free" i.e.i.m.h.o manufactured in an oxygen free environment.
    If you can connect a piece of string to your amp and speaker terminals snugly with good metal contact and without fuzz sticking out, and you don't plan on moving and disassembling your equipment several times a year, then you don't need spade lugs or banana plugs.
    Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

11. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Mark,

I don't know that Bolder Cables are all that much more expensive than Better Cables. Better Cables 3m pair (basically 10') is $139 with spades and a whopping $40 more for bananas!

Brian

12. ToddJoseph

ToddJoseph Stunt Coordinator

Better cables vs Radio Shack premium cables, I bet you would not find a difference in the sound quaility. I've read several post about studios and their set ups. Majority have radio shack type of cabes. As far as speaker wire, go to Home Depot and save the money to up grade something else. My 2 cents of course

13. Ken Stokes

Ken Stokes Agent

I use Better Cables (BC) throughout my system and can give them and the company a very enthusiastic recommendation. The equipment is as follows.

Aerial LR5s, CC5, & SR3s

Denon AVR5600 as pre pro (will be replaced if they ever figure out the DVD-A & SACD digital interface)

Theta Dreadnaught amplifier.

As a little background I had Home Depot 12 gauge, tried Rat Shack Premium, and then tried the BC cables. They have a six month return policy so I had nothing to loose. There was a difference to everyone who listened to the system so I kept them.

Part Two of the story is even better. When I purchased the Theta I called Brad at BC to see about getting my wires re-terminated. Mine were banana and the Theta only takes spades. After talking to him for some time he said just return yours for a full refund and I'll ship you the new ones. This was after I had owned them for TEN months! The transaction went very smoothly.

Since then I have also purchased his silver interconnects, they are as good as I have heard. Part of any purchase is the relationship with the seller and it just doesn't get any better that Better Cables! I think they are a great balance between quality and price. While not cheap they are a fraction of the cost or "high-end" cables.

Try them, they guarantee that you will like them.

Ken

14. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Mark Austin: no particular experiences with BetterCables but $750 is a dearly sum. however if the appearance is important, to each their own. i also have no experience with homeopathic anthrax and radiation inhibition preparations. however, there are active forums in these and other areas with many people reporting wondrous results.

ChipE: nope, not EE. advanced degrees in Auditory Sciences from a midwestern university and another in Marketing Psychology. As far as me suggesting how people spend their money, why is it your thoughts to suggest Brand A or Brand B permissible? Open forum, no? I read and study on other matters also. Cables become, perhaps, not only an EE matter, but a metalurgical, physical chemistry, theoretical physics as well as other disciplines once one can rigorously demonstrate repeatable, independently verifiable, audible differences. Once that happens, then the search for the causes attributable to it can progress. My mind is open for the results...I'm just making sure that I've got my wallet in my front pocket.

I find MarkO's comments interesting: "I tried a set of Better Cables across my front three channels and they diddent work out for me on my particular system. You may have diffrent results." The question many should be asking is why doesn't it work out here but seems to kind of work out there and why it seems to have worked miracles over there? Believe it or not. Your senses are influenced by an enormity of factors and to think they are absolute references is quite false. Those who sell you products count on that.

FWIW, I don't object to people spending large amounts on cables, however if their reason for doing so is a desire for audible differences, then I shall share my thoughts along those lines. You want them because you like their appearance, or the connectors are locking, or you want a relationship with the vendor, well fine...that's your preference and only you can stick a dollar amount on it.

15. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

Thanks for your incredible insight Chu.

POST EDITED BY ADMINISTRATOR.

16. Mark Rich

Mark Rich Second Unit

Chip E,

Suppose your insults are to be excused because you put a funny face on the end? Your poor excuse for humor was not called for.

Brian,

Boldercables uses a very labor intensive method of making their speaker cables. They use more expensive cable as well.

Bettercables use a canare cable which is simply terminated and dressed up. This cable can be had for around 0.47/ft

I have tried making the boldercables (JR recipe) and gave up in frustration. The BC style anyone could make.

BTW these days I use retail speaker cables. No I dont own work for or even use Boldercable products.

17. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

18. Herb Kane

Herb Kane Screenwriter

Chu:

There is nothing wrong with voicing your opinion(s) but there is no diplomacy in your approach. This is indeed an open forum and as such, makes it quite interesting to read the various pros & cons relating to products and opinions etc.

If I may say so, it is the confrontational manner in which you post that seems to ruffle the majority of feathers. I have noticed many of your posts (if not all of them) are mere two line posts whereby the claim of cables is either a waste of money, a stimulus on the economy or in this case, "art". In your a/m post, you take the time to explain why you feel the way you do about cables, and that is fine. I believe your posts would carry much more weight if they supplied information as to your preferences as you have indicated above.

Dan merely asked if he thought the cable upgrade was a satisfactory idea. Inferring he was buying "art" does nothing to contribute to the post in a positive manner and I don't believe he deserved that.

As I have stated in the past, I believe in cables. There is no way on God's green earth that any sensory preference can be plotted or measured (regardless of how many degrees you have...) ie. the taste of chocolate, the feeling of cotton, the smell of pine.

If you disagree with someone's opinion, that's fine. But please afford them the courtesy of an explanation. I don't think that is too much to ask.

Respectfully,

Herb Kane.

19. Michael P

Michael P Agent

You can buy a lot of different things for your home theater set up for $750. Now, I won't argue that you may be able to tell the difference between the expensive wire, and the 12 gauge wire you can buy at home depot for $40, but is the $710 worth it to you? To some people it may be, to others it won't. Now as to insulting people on the forum because they don't think you should spend $750 on speaker wire, I definitely don't think that is right!! The post asked a simple question, and Chu answered it. I don't think his answer was inflamatory or out of line, just honest in his opinion.

20. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

Mark,

Me thinks thou dos protest too much.

And if ya don't like it, don't read it. I'm really sick of dealing with the likes of you. You nay sayers do nothing but confront in an aggressive mannor... Frankly, my comment earlier stooped to your level and i regret doing it.