Your Thoughts: Do Or Die for "24" This Season?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mike-M, Sep 16, 2002.

1. Mike-M

Mike-M Stunt Coordinator

I'm wondering what people here think. I loved the show last season, and you can tell by the way FOX has treated it thus far that they love it too. Hyped to know end, shown twice a week for at least a month, no re-runs this summer to promote the show as "event programming," an immediate DVD release, a recent 24 hour FX marathon, and a commercial free premiere for season 2. It's really amazing.

So, let's say "24" pulls in another 9.5 million viewers this season like lasts. Let's even say it pulls in 10 or 11 million. Do you think FOX will pull the plug after this season or do you think they are in it for a longer haul? With such a great concept, I can't imagine a network wanting to give up on it, but if it doesn't work it doesn't work. And, truly after say season 3, it would seem the show would become an extreme burden to write in which everything is constantly "moving" for 24 straight episodes.

Who knows I guess but what do other's think?

2. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

To a certain extent, I really don't care. I like the show a lot, but I'm not going to be crushed if it doesn't go on forever. Come this afternoon, I'll have Season 1 on my shelf, and Fox has given the show a 24-episode order for a second season, so I'll likely get that one, too. If there's no Season 3, then so be it; that doesn't take away from what there already is.

3. DaveBB

DaveBB Supporting Actor

While I am a humoungous fan of "24"; I would understand if it got pulled after this season. The concept means there can be no re-runs and even syndication would be a bitch.

(Did I hear right that Fox gave "24" a full season commitment because the producers laid out a great full-season story arc.)

4. Shane Archer

Shane Archer Agent

On the other hand, wouldn't the potential DVD revenues factor in to their decision? It almost seems like the show was made to be a TV-to-DVD deal. I think the first season of 24 was popular enough that even without syndication, the DVD sales will bring in a sizable chunk of change.

5. Paul E. Fox II

Paul E. Fox II Second Unit

I work for a Fox Affiliate here in WV and that was a great topic of discussion as last season wore on. How are they going to come back and get the excitement again and will they even try?

As we all know, they decided to try and from what I've been hearing from the Network...it's going to be fantastic! Is that true? Well, I guess we'll all know come October. For me, this was the best show on TV last fall...bar none and I didn't miss and episode. I'll be watching, but I'm skeptical. I just don't see how they can live up to the hype.

6. Ken Chan

Ken Chan Producer

I don't have a problem with the show going only two seasons, as long as they resolve the major plotlines. At least with 24, every episode is kind of like a cliffhanger, so they do finish up the day. Many shows have outworn their welcome.

But just because they have a 24-episode order doesn't mean Fox doesn't have a way out if the ratings are horrible. Several shows last season got their productions trimmed.

//Ken

7. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Are they still using the same concept (24 straight hours in the lives of the characters)?

I didn't know it's already coming out on DVD, I gotta check it out.

8. Mike-M

Mike-M Stunt Coordinator

Yep, same concept.

9. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

10. Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver Lead Actor

Of course, they really only need to come up with one of those plots per year.

11. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Yes, but how many "this is the longest day of my life" days can one guy have? [​IMG]
    M.

12. Mike-M

Mike-M Stunt Coordinator

^^Good point but the guy has ties to counter terrorism, regardless if he works there or not. I'm sure when dealing with terrorism there will be days where you have just one hell of a day.

As long as no more family members are kidnapped it can be realistic.