Your strategy for online sports games; just curious

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chris Rock, Oct 17, 2002.

1. Chris Rock

Chris Rock Supporting Actor

In extreme anticipation of my XBL kit arriving today, I was wondering what type of strategy you'd use when playing online.

Do you:
    a) - play the sport the way it's intended to be played, or
    b) - use any possible tactic to win, even if it doesn't fit in with the normal rules of the sport

Let me give some examples:
    Football -
    Do you frequently take a LB or DB out of position to add to a pass rush in hopes of getting a sack or shutting down the QB?
    Do you never punt, always going for it on 4th down?
    Do you repeatedly use the same play?
    Do you always kick onside kicks?
    Do you change your roster around, moving players into positions they aren't intended to play?

Basketball -
    Do you change your roster around, moving players into positions they aren't intended to play? (moving a SG into Center, etc.)
    Do you take 3 point shots on every possesion?
    Do you try to drive in for a dunk on every possession?
    Do you use only one player, giving him all the points?

I ask this question to get an idea of how some of you like to play. I am certainly less skilled than most of you, but I try to play the game as it's intended. In football, I follow the same "rules of engagement" that an NFL team would follow. In basketball, I spread the ball around and try to take open shots on each possession. I don't have as much fun when I'm playing against someone who has 110 points with one player and 8 points with the rest of the team. It's not too much fun to play against a player who gets the ball back on their onside kicks all the time, even when they are already winning by 2 scores.

Does anyone else feel the same way? Or am I just a big baby?

2. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

I pause the game and walk away in the hope you'll abandon (and loose) the game.
    [​IMG]

3. Dave E H

Dave E H Supporting Actor

I like to play a pseudo realistic game. More fun that way, I think. I'm not into the complete 'sim' kind of game - otherwise when I play the Rams, I'd pass 24 times in a row. [​IMG]
    I do like to play a little more ball-control oriented than the Rams usually do and I like to be a little more 'west coast' (short passing) but that's just me. I also tend to do the 2 point conversion, since I suck at field goals.

4. Rob Varto

Rob Varto Supporting Actor

I tend to try and play the sport as it should be played. There's no fun in playing someone to "win at all costs". That is the one factor that deters me from getting online. Hell, I just picked up Madden yesterday, got online and was challenged to a game. He wins the coin toss (he chose the Rams of course) and drives down the field only to be picked off by me in the endzone. So what's the next thing he does? He quits! WTF?? Oh yeah, he only passed the ball too. I know the Rams pass a lot, but come on.

5. Dave Falasco

Dave Falasco Screenwriter

I haven't played against other humans too many times, but I try to play the same way I play against the computer--mix it up, take chances only when you can afford to get burned, all that stuff. If you pass 17 times in a row against the computer, you will get picked. If you run nothing but sweeps, you may get 9 yards the first time, and maybe 3 the next, but after that you will be dropped in the backfield. Against the CPU you have to play a true game of football--run to set up the pass, no more than a few deep throws per game, that sort of thing. That's the way I play against humans as well.

It drives me crazy when I am playing against a human and they pull off crazy stuff that rarely happens in a real game. My nephew loves to drop back 20 steps and hurl the rock downfield, and I absolutely hate it when he comes down with it. Last week I played a guy who basically ran Hail Mary passes in a hurry-up offense for the entire second half. And no matter what defense I called, no matter how many guys I had surrounding the receiver, damn if his guy didn't come down with the ball at least 1 out of every 3 tries. Drove me batty.

I guess there's nothing inherently wrong with him continuing to go to a play that I couldn't stop, but it sure felt cheap. I don't care who you are, nobody completes 45-yard passes at a 35% completion rate--not against a dime or a prevent anyway.

6. Chris Rock

Chris Rock Supporting Actor

7. KyleK

KyleK Second Unit

I don't know about you guys, but I just try to score more points than the other dude.
    [​IMG]