What's new

Your SINGLE favorite TV episode from any series (just one!) (1 Viewer)

jimmyjet

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jimmy
i am not gonna even try to name my favorite EPISODE of all time.

what is a bit easier for me, is to pick an episode from an individual show, that i think really stands out.

this has to be from some of the shows that i recently viewed.

so the one episode that first comes to mind is star trek next generation, when data is on trial to see if he is property, or whether he has his own rights.

Roy Wall

Supporting Actor
jimmyjet said:
i am not gonna even try to name my favorite EPISODE of all time.

what is a bit easier for me, is to pick an episode from an individual show, that i think really stands out.

this has to be from some of the shows that i recently viewed.

so the one episode that first comes to mind is star trek next generation, when data is on trial to see if he is property, or whether he has his own rights.
Jimmy....please see post number 37 or 39.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
I LOVE LUCY: "Tennesse Bound." That one always seemed like the perfect episode to me--they used my favorite guest star, Tennesse Ernie Ford and it had a lot of music. Why they only used Ernie on three episodes, I shall never know. He should have been on at least once a year. Then when Teensie and Weensie come out and do their number...yikes! The Tennesse contingent should have been spun off into their own show; absolutely hilarious!

THE SIMPSONS: "Blame it on Lisa." The basic plot borders on being almost South Park-style tacky, but most of the laughs come from several surprising moments and one-liners. The show was already past its prime, but it's still one of the better ones, yet very under-rated and rarely see on fans' top ten lists.

THE BRADY BUNCH: "The Subject Was Noses." A notorious episode--probably one that Maureen McCormick hates, but it's also an iconic moment in the show's run and was viciously slammed in the "Brady Bunch Movie." This is the one where a stray football busts Marcia's beautiful nose and her prom date cancels on her. I don't even know why I single out this episode--I think it's because us awful 70s kids made fun of it mercilessly. After this aired and for the rest of the decade, every time some kid was throwing around a football, one of the others kids would go "Ohhhh....my nose!"

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
Carabimero said:
What is your single favorite TV episode of all time? Let's see who accepts this challenge. A single dramatic episode of a TV series. Your favorite hour or half-hour of television. And why. Mine? The Doomsday Machine from the Original Star Trek series. Why? Because it simply builds drama and satisfies better than any dramatic TV episode I have seen. It has great performances, a moral argument, terrific writing and directing, nice cinematography, terrific special effects (both versions) and an absolutely crucial score--the music makes it.

Almost a year later.... Mine too!

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
In alphabetical order, here are some of my choices (I'm not picking just one). These are mostly all "comfort food" episodes, ones that I can throw on and guarantee to be entertained.

THE AVENGERS - "Death's Door" This might seem an odd choice to some, but it was an episode that I managed to capture on VHS tape way back in the late '70s/early '80s on a late night run on CBS. As such it was the only episode I could put on when I was in the mood for an AVENGERS episode, thus it became on "old friend". And it's a fun episode to boot.

DICK VAN DYKE - "I'd Rather Be Bald Than Have No Head At All" It's a toss-up between this and the walnut episode. Both have fun dream sequences that I just love. I still use the word "ingrediment" to this day.

THE FUGITIVE - "Nightmare At Northoak" Most will say the finale is the best, and that's a hard choice to deny. But this first-season episode had it all. A dream sequence starts the episode, and its iconic images were used throughout the rest of the series for part of the opening. The menace from Gerard is never stronger, and Kimble has much to overcome in this one.

THE INVADERS - "Beachhead" (pilot) A bunch of my choices are pilots. They often had the biggest budgets, and the premise of the series gets sets up nicely, as is the case here.

LOST IN SPACE - "No Place To Hide" (unaired pilot) This hour of television, without the nonsense of Dr. Smith, was just fabulous. It was so good that it served as the foundation for FOUR series episodes with some clever editing.

LOST - "Man Of Science, Man Of Faith" After an engrossing first season following the plane crash, this first episode of the second season took us to places totally unexpected with the opening of "the hatch." There are other fascinating episodes to be sure, but this one really captured the imagination.

LAND OF THE GIANTS - "The Crash" (pilot) The first and best episode of this series.

M*A*S*H - "Adam's Ribs" Surely one of the funniest M*A*S*H episodes ever.

MANNIX - "The Sound Of Darkness" Our hero is blinded and must rely on friends and his inner strength to survive. None better.

MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE - "The Train" The team uses great "trickonology" to fool a head-of-state wannabee.

THE OUTER LIMITS - "The Forms Of Things Unknown" A more bizarre hour of television you'll never find. Fascinating to watch over and over again as you try to piece together what its all about. Dreamy, surrealistic, with an exceptional music score (later used in THE INVADERS).

THE PRISONER - "The Chimes Of Big Ben" It's hard to pick just one, but this episode has it all, from an iconic Number Two to an escape attempt. Unforgettable.

SECRET AGENT/DANGER MAN - "A Room in The Basement" For some reason this is the most memorable episode of this series for me. The lovely Jane Merrow guest stars.

STAR TREK - "City On The Edge Of Forever" Much has been written of this episode, and it's the one that got me hooked on STAR TREK in the first place. Fabulous stuff.

STAR TREK THE NEXT GENERATION - "The Inner Light" A jaw-droppingly good story that had us wowed from the moment we saw it. Still amazing to this day.

STAR TREK DEEP SPACE NINE - "The Visitor" A for-sure CWWC for me. (That's "Can't Watch Without Crying"). Considered one of the best STAR TREK's of any generation or series.

STAR TREK VOYAGER - "Year Of Hell" Fun sci-fi premise of altering timelines in a two-part story. I also like the one where VOYAGER goes back to 20th century California.

THE TIME TUNNEL - "Rendezvous With Yesterday" (pilot) The best episode of my all-time sentimental favorite series. It sets up the series premise, takes us for a ride on the Titanic, and features some amazing SFX work and tunnel complex shots.

TWILIGHT ZONE - "On Thursday We Leave For Home" Yes, my favorite TZ is an hour-long episode, probably the best of that fourth season, and in my mind one of the best of the series.

VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA - "Submarine Sank Here" No monsters running amuck here, this is a tense, gripping story that'll keep you on the edge of your seat. One of the best from a fine first season.

Some of these were mentioned earlier in the thread, some were not. And I'm sure there are others I may think of later and wish I'd have included. But this will do for now.

Harry

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
You hit on at least four of the same episodes I would have picked, and possibly a fifth. The episodes you listed for Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea, Lost in Space, Land of the Giants, and The Fugitive (although I really battle between "Nightmare" and "Search in a Windy City"). And the episode you listed for DVDS is right up there as well, although there are so many in that series I like my opinion can change from moment to moment so I won't commit myself right now. And if I'm considering classic Star Trek, that's my choice as well.

Gary "no way could I list only one top episode from one series - I'd have to give a multiple listing answer" O.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Harry-N said:
LOST - "Man Of Science, Man Of Faith" After an engrossing first season following the plane crash, this first episode of the second season took us to places totally unexpected with the opening of "the hatch." There are other fascinating episodes to be sure, but this one really captured the imagination.
That's a great episode. Semi-pointless fact: I assumed the title referred to Jack and Locke's dueling POVs but on the commentary, they say that the title only refers to Jack.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Harry-N said:
STAR TREK DEEP SPACE NINE - "The Visitor" A for-sure CWWC for me. (That's "Can't Watch Without Crying"). Considered one of the best STAR TREK's of any generation or series.
Glad to see someone else enjoys this episode as much as I do. Surely one of the BEST hours of TV ever, not just limited to Sci Fi. Beautifully written, acted, and directed, makes me tear up just thinking of it.

Roy Wall

Supporting Actor
Just want to mention this episode of "The Outer Limits" and it was probably discussed here in this very same manner but if not...here goes:"The Human Factor"...My wife pointed this out to me as to why this episode suffers. The idea for "the bear" was essentially the guilt of Major Brothers....that's classic....not a problem. What is a problem is the acting range of Gary Merrill vs Harry Guardino when the two major characters switch brains. The formerly overacting Guardino/Brothers (which works with the character) switches places with the underacting Merrill/Hamilton (which also works). This is what hurts the otherwise very effective episode as Guardino becomes an overacting Dr Hamilton and Merrill becomes the underacting guilt ridden Major Brothers. It's so very apparent and where does the fault lie more....casting???....directing??? Just asking. :)

jperez

Second Unit
Real Name
jorge perez
Of course, this is one of my favorites -it's impossible to select one's favorite episode of all time- but 'The Killing Scene', an episode of Ruin For Your Life (the great series starring Ben Gazzara) can be seen as an alternate version of Naked City's "Prime of Life': Gazzara, as retired lawyer Paul Bryan, gets last minute information that a friend who's in the last stages of death row is innocent... he runs a frantic investigation against the clock and finds out who the real murderer is, but his call to the authorities is a few minutes too late...

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
just a few that come to mind...

The West Wing - "Two Cathedrals"

Fringe - "Peter"

Buffy The Vampire Slayer - "Once More With Feeling"

The Honeymooners - "Please Leave The Premises"

Married With Children - "Married… With Aliens"

The Office - "Gay Witch Hunt"

24 - "Day 5: 5:00am-6:00am / 6:00am-7:00am" (these two aired in one night as the season five finale so I'm gonna count them as one)

Twin Peaks - "Episode 29 aka Beyond Life And Death"

Vic Pardo

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian Camp
The Japanese animated series, "Street Fighter II-V" (1995) had an episode, #22: "Rising Dragon into the Sky: The Extremes of Rage - the Awakening of Hadou," that's one of the best things I've ever seen.

Here's a description of it:
One of the high points of the entire series occurs in episode 22, when Ken uses “hadou” power (the art of summoning up one’s qi or inner energy) to break his chains and free himself from a cell in Bison’s fortress in a sequence that takes us through each step of the process. The animation, music, facial expressions, body movements and Japanese voice acting all combine to create a truly sensual moment during the first buildup of power and an enormously liberating one when Ken finally breaks out in a burst of ecstatic physical and emotional release.
This is the first thing that came to mind when I read the thread topic.

bretmaverick2

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom Hunter
TAXI - don't know the title, but the episode in which Rev Jim gets his driver's license

MAVERICK - Shady Deal at Sunny Acres. Involves almost all of the strong supporting characters to that point in the show. Fun storyline!

BEWITCHED - The Henry the 8th episodes.

ALL IN THE FAMILY - The episode that introduces Maude

Roy Wall

Supporting Actor
I love this stuff...stating favorite episodes...so here's a dozen....and yes....I know I keep repeating myself. :)(1) Star Trek - Balance Of Terror...all that drama...all that nail biting....Kirk realizes that he MUST win or goodbye Federation. Was Shatner ever better???(2) The Twilight Zone - Time Enough At Last...Burgess said "It was just another job." Many episodes arguably as good if not better.(3) The Fugitive - The Judgment. Enuff said.(4) Have Gun Will Travel - El Paso Stage...Roddenberry's best ever written episode IMO and Ebsen really makes HGWT's darkest villain. I certainly respect those that believe "A Quiet Night In Town" is better....it's that good.(5) Thriller - Pigeons From Hell....My wife is poised to snatch the Zuvembie role in the remake.(6) The Prisoner - ??? (I honestly can't decide) The definition of Insanity....trying to pick a favorite in this classic series. How did Harry do it? :)(7) The Avengers - Something Nasty In The Nursery...Nanny GOAT gets my vote....too funny....especially love the nanny in the motorized wheel chair complete with loaded machine gun.(8) Gunsmoke - The Guitar...the ending is simply so unexpected and so memorable. You did good Aaron.(9) The Honeymooners - Ralph's Sweet Tooth....Jackie's marvelous ability at reacting is never so ever put to the test as in this episode's ending. Gleason scores a A+. I also love "Kramden Vs Norton"...Ralph and Alice's fight at the beginning of the episode...is Gleason Gold. Both are Lost Episodes.(10) Kolchak - The Zombie...while Sangster's "Horror In The Heights" is better written.....The Zombie....the way it was filmed and edited...still gives me nightmares.(11) The Rifleman - Gunfire....Lon Chaney Jr's Charlie Gordo and his gang bring an added layer of darkness to North Fork in this 4th season offering. Very violent.(12) Bonanza - The Legacy...Ben's raising of his three boys comes up BIG in this nearly dark episode.

Roy Wall

Supporting Actor
Does anyone know what tv show or movie this pic is from?? It's dated 11 July 1968.

Attachments

• deforest.jpg
    deforest.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 35

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I'm pretty sure it's from the unsold "Police Story" pilot, but 1968 is a little late for that. It was made in 1966 and I think it finally aired in 1967. Maybe the date was from a rerun?

Kasey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kasey
MAUDE - "The Game Show" - At first totally opposed to the idea, Maude grows increasingly greedy after Vivian talks her into appearing on "Beat The Devil". A comedy tour-de-force for all involved (and ZERO political references in this episode, much like most of Seasons 4-6).

CHARLIE'S ANGELS - "Angels In The Wings" - The set of a movie musical appears to be jinxed by mysterious accidents 15 years after a noted musical comedy actress fell to her death there. One of those creepy "let's-recreate-a-tragic-event-from-the-past-to-lure-the-mentally-unstable-killer-out-of-the-shadows" episodes that really left an impression on my 9-year-old-self. Plus, Cheryl Ladd sings!

DESIGNING WOMEN - "The Woman Who Came to Sugarbakers" - Julia's superstitious former headmistress (Pat Carroll) refuses to leave Sugarbakers so the ladies stage a seance to change her mind. Originally telecast when the show was on its' last legs, this is chock full of hilarious one-liners and a large chunk of the episode is a showcase for the late, great Alice Ghostley.

BEWITCHED - "The Crone of Cawdor" - Wonderfully original, spooky episode that has Darrin in danger of being kissed by an old hag who wants to steal his youth. Terrific turn by Agnes Moorehead as Endora disguises herself as an Edith-Head-type fashion designer. And Liz never looked as stunning as she does here in all her mid-'60s glory.

MAMA'S FAMILY - "Rashomama" - Eunice, Ellen and Naomi each explain to Vinton, Rashomon-style how Mama ended up in the hospital after being conked on the head with a stock pot during a jam cook-off. As funny as anything ever done on The Carol Burnett Show, each version gets increasingly outrageous as the episode progresses. Brilliant and hilarious!

Susan Nunes_329977

Second Unit
Real Name
Susan Nunes
Too hard to pick only one episode out of thousands of television shows.

A few that come to mind here:

"Lucy's Italian Movie"-- I Love Lucy

"Gun-Shy" -- Maverick

"LIving Doll"--The Twilight Zone

"Getting Mama Married"-- Amos 'n' Andy

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508