What's new

Your SINGLE favorite TV episode from any series (just one!) (1 Viewer)

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
On reflection the request for one episode was probably too limiting. I think it is more fun, as a few of you have done, to list your single favorite episode from your top ten favorite series, or something like that.
Also, Rick...I am about to watch GERTRUDE!

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
This is tough thread to respond too due to fact their are so many shows that have great episodes. It is difficult name my favorite epsiodes for the following series
1. Star Trek (i like doomsday, piece of action, bread and circus)
2. WKRP (Turkey Drop, Fish Story, Commercial Break, Johny Fever comes back or the episode with scum of the earth)
3. Emergency (Isolation, Snake Bite, Santa Rosa County)
4. Married with Children (when Al Bundy fixes the roof or weenie tots or cheesecake or go with him song)
5. Simpson (Australia, Canada and Brazil episodes along with Bart going to France)
6. Cheers (Cliff on Jeopardy, Simon Says ie John Cleese, norm gets a job as beer taster)
7. Hogan Heroes (Carter does Hitler or Schulz becomes prison camp colonel, etc)
8. Hawaii Five-O (Grandstand, Wednesday night ladies are free, Killer that kills in the highrise due to fact McGarrett makes the comment this is toughest case, any episode with wo fat, etc
9. Gilligan Island (Stone that grants 3 wishes or stone tablet episode or mosquitoes or russian astronauts or gilligan gets hunted
10. Starsky and Hutch (Starsky gets shot or Starsky and Hutch working at hair salon or Hutch on drugs, etc
11. Family ties (Grinch episodes
12. Six Million dollar man (bigfoot episodes)
13. Get Smart (any episodes that have Bernie Kopell as Smart's nemesis
14. Battlestar Gallactica (the original movie or Apollo meets the wild west )
15. Planet Apes TV series (1974) - Legacy or horse race or tyrant
16. Adam-12 (there are so many good episodes)
17. Miami Vice (there are so many good episodes
18. F-Troop (the singing mountie - because it was paul lynde
19. Dallas (there are so many good episodes, but dallas was best earlier on with the original cast including Jim Davis)
20. SWAT (I prefer the episodes from S2, especially Luca must die)
I have over 90 shows complete in my collection and it is difficult to say in each of those series what is my favorite. The great thing about dvd collections is that i can pick and choose what i want to watch. I feel i am running my own MEI or TVLand or DejaVu, etc. It is too bad today's youth are not interested in classic TV as there was some amazing shows!!

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
Rather than relist a bunch already stated above, I will add.
Seinfeld : Master of Your Domain
The Big Bang Theory : The one where Penny gives Sheldon the napkin signed by Leonard Nimoy.
How I Met Your Mother : Either The Price is Right episode or The Scuba Diver

swan4022

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ron
I'll nominate one that I didn't expect to be so satisfying: Charlie's Angels, season 2, "Angel in Love." Kate Jackson achieves a perfect blend of vulnerability and toughness, and the work Peter Haskell does as the charming con-man has helped me appreciate and look forward to the guest roles he played on so many other shows of the '70s, such as Mission: Impossible, Barnaby Jones, etc.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Steve Armbrust said:
I'll have to go with the series finale of Newhart, just for the final scene where Bob wakes up with Emily.
That scene in Newhart was fantastic, totally unexpected and a beautiful way to end the show.
The rest of you have much better memories (or own a lot more TV DVDs than I do). I loved Dark Shadows, but I think I was ten years old when it was watching it, so memory tends to fade 40 years later.
The past few months I've really gotten into Dr. Who and was amazed by the episode from 2005 titled "The End of the World". Christopher Eccleston and Billie Piper were the Dr. and his companion at the time, but I was amazed by that episode, definitely being kept on my DVR, hope to buy the series soon. The storyline, the different aliens and the special effects were incredible, I'm still way behind, just getting into the David Tennant years, only on the second episode with the "Martha Jones" companion so have a long ways to go.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
Carabimero said:
Rick, I watched "Gertrude." So far it is the best Harry-O episode I have seen on the first two discs.
I also very much liked "Shadows at Noon" because of the twist at the end where the girl was crazy after all -- though for sheer comedy you can't beat the end of "Lester." Lannom's imitation of Janssen is priceless!

Carabimero

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I am currently on SOUNDS OF THE TRUMPET so I haven't quite gotten to Lester yet. I've been held up because I had to return my set for a replacement.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Too many to choose from.
And as a few of you have done, I won't repeat other's that I agree with
Rockford Files (No Cut Contract, Irving The Explainer)
L.A.Law (Venus Butterfly)
Barney Miller (brownies episode)
Remington Steele (Steele's Gold, Steele Framed)
Coupling (Man With Two Legs, Nightlines)
I.T. Crowd (The Speech)
Prisoner (Schizoid Man)
Twin Peaks (Episode 3 - throwing rocks)
Soap (S1- 'each of you is a suspect because ...')
Firefly (Jaynestown)
Babylon 5 (Severed Dreams)
Doctor Who (Invasion Of Time, Blink)
I'm sure I'll think of more
David

DaveHof

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Hofstede
The one conclusion I can draw from this thread is that the people who frequent this site have excellent taste. Since the "just one episode from one series" rule has already gone out the window, I'll add a few of my own:
"Tutti-Frutti Ice Cream" - The Adventures of Ozzie & Harriet
"The Prom" - Buffy the Vampire Slayer
Pilot - Twin Peaks
"Measure of a Man" - Star Trek: The Next Generation
"The Big Interrogation" - Dragnet
"The Curious Thing About Women" - The Dick Van Dyke Show
"The Girl From LIttle Egypt" - The Fugitive
"A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Station" - The Avengers
"The One With the Prom Video" - Friends
"Amateur Night" - The Brady Bunch
"The Joker is a Card" - Bewitched

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
The X Files episode "Home" was, and still is one of the scariest things i have ever seen. 10-15 years later it still freaks me out. Has to go on my list of most favorite.

MainTitle

Auditioning
Real Name
Geoff Brown
The classic of all classics: "Lucy Does a TV Commercial" from "I Love Lucy" - the one about the Vitameatavegamin product that Lucy samples containing 23% alcohol and proceeds to get (convincingly) bombed on live television.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
A few from me (and I could easily substitute others)
Star Trek: TOS "Where No Man Has Gone Before" - Has the early Trek vibe that I really enjoyed combined with the classic theme of the corrupting abilities of absolute power and an otherworldly feel to the entire episode, especially on the deserted planet.
The Outer Limits "Demon With a Glass Hand" - Just a great, great episode with a fine performance from Robert Culp and a wonderful script from SF author Harlan Ellison that combines tension, suspense and pathos. The prospect of Trent's fate and his long vigil still resonates with me.
Kung Fu "Pilot" Maybe a bit of a cheat, but I admire the original 90 minute pilot that introduced the series at least as much as any of the subsequent episodes.
Gilmore Girls "A Deep-Fried Korean Thanksgiving" There are definitely more dramatic episodes in this fine series and realistically I could have picked just about any episode from the first four years of the series, but this is a favorite that really captures the fun of the series with the festive atmosphere of deep frying just about anything that will fit into Jackson's peanut oil fueled deep fryer.
Columbo Very difficult to pick one episode but I'll go with "An Exercise in Fatality" for the chemistry between Peter Falk and Robert Conrad in this episode.
Babylon 5 "The Fall of Night" If for no other reason than the reveal of Kosh.
Star Trek: TNG "Inner Light" I know that this is a fan favorite and I share that enjoyment of this episode which features a great performance from Patrick Stewart and an emotionally affecting testament to a dead race.
- Walter.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Scott did a great job speaking about Dark Shadows. Like Scott it is so hard for me to name just one episode. I also decided to just name the TV series I own. Update the list with some
Dark Shadows
Matthew Morgan dies from seeing the ghosts of the 3 Widows Bill Malloy and of course Josette Collins. Roger tells the family in the next episode Vicky nearly got her head chopped off. Louis Edmonds has so many great comic one liners in the first year of the show.
Laura stares into the fire after a great confrontation with Liz in 1967
Barnabas second episode in the series where he meets Liz Vicky and David 1967.
Angelique turns Joshua Collins into a cat 1795
Angelique places a curse on Barnabas 1796
Barnabas takes Willie to the the Vampire crypt to stake Tom and save Julia in 1968
Edward locks Barnabas in the basement cell of the Old House in 1897 and writes her a letter which she finds on the 5th day of September in 1969
Barnabas after being staked returns to the cave with Edward and Quentin who is now Count Petofi. Highest rated Dark Shadows show.
Barnabas in the dream vampire episode 1969
Barnabas in 1970 tells Julia about his last day in 1897 and 1796 and meeting the Leviathans.
Julia saves Barnabas from being staked by her counterpart in Parrell time 1970
Barnabas and Julia’s last day in 1995
Angelique returns to Collinwood 1840
Barnabas Julia and Professor Stokes return to Collinwood 1971
Series Finale episode in PT 1841
Peyton Place
Hannah Cord takes the witness stand in a three part episode where Martin Peyton over rules the court decorum and States the following. The name of this county is Peyton The name of Mill that supports this town is Peyton this is a Peyton World The aftermath follows in the 3rd part.
Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea. so many to choose from Season 4 Opening episode starring Victor Jory
Time Tunnel so many to choose from again Chase through Time. Starring Robert Duvall
Star Trek DS9 the 2 part finale also so many great episodes to choose. I love this series!!!!!!!!!
I Love Lucy Lucy and Ethel work in the candy factory Who can really name just one episode from this TV Classic.
Lucy Desi Comedy Hour Los Vegas episode
Danny Thomas Show Lucy and Ricky visit Danny which airs after Danny shows up on Lucy Desi Comedy Hour and I only have this one episode which I bought from Media Play.
Disney's Wonderful of Color The 3 part Scarecrow of Romney Marsh
Wild Wild West season 4 Night of the Sedgwick Curse so many great ones to choose from
Young Indiana Jones Hollywood story hard to pick from this great series again so many to choose
The Flintsones Wilma tells Fred she is going to have a baby Love this show too the first 3 years were great.
Dallas JR is shot as the season cliff hanger / Bobby returns in the shower the first 2 hour episode of the 1986/ 89 season.
1970's Family Willies Home Movie which Kate reminds her Son of the PBS series on the Loud Family.
Downton Abbey Season 2 last episode/ Season 1 Mary finds her lover dead in her bed!!!!!
BSG Living Legend
Lost In Space Return to Earth in season 3 I love many in this series too
Land of the Giants second season Chess Game plus the episode that has the missle room from Voyage in the last of the Giant series
BSG reboot Pegasus 2 part cliff hanger
Mannix staring Darren Mcgavin plus again hard to choose episo
Prime Time Dark Shadows series final extended episode on VHS great show get the extended
version on vhs 1. I do love the DVD set too.
Mission Impossible Season 7 Episode where all of the IMF bag of tricks goes wrong. I confess to not watching all my dvds yet. I just liked the season 7 episode and the one in season 5 opener starring Robert Conrad.
Star Trek Voyager 2 part series finale
Galactica 1980 The Return of Starbuck
The Invaders the first episode and again hard to choose. I really cannot think of a bad one in the entire series.
Disney Zorro any episode for I have not watched them all. What I have seen is top notch
Lucy Show the shower episode 1st season
Here's Lucy 3rd season The Burtons episode even though the plot was the same as Lucy and Ricky hand cuffed in I Love Lucy it had it's moments
Rome a great HBO series 1st and last episode of the series
Showtime'sThe Borgias season 1 first episode/ and last
Tales of the Gold Monkey first episode have only been able to watch two Looks like a great show and Shout did a nice job on it.
Luke and Laura Return on two VHS tapes from General Hospital

Roy Wall

Supporting Actor
I am going to expand this to multiple (I'm going for ten) shows....favorite episode:

Star Trek (TOS): Balance Of Terror (will the Romulans unleash their secret weapon that would doom the Federation??? The Enterprise must stop an Invisible Enemy)

Gunsmoke: Mannon (Darkness Is Coming)

The Twilight Zone: Time Enough At Last (The All-Time Great Irony)

The Fugitive: The Judgment (What Else??)

Have Gun Will Travel: El Paso Stage (If Roddenberry ever penned a better episode...I want to see it. Buddy Ebsen is outstanding in this one)

Mission Impossible: Operation Rogosh (Hey...let's give Stephen Hill and Fritz Weaver a nod in this great first season IMF thriller)

Naked City: The Deadly Guinea Pig (Depicts survivors of The Holocaust as the closest thing on Earth to the Living Dead)

Wanted Dead Or Alive: Bounty On Josh (Someone seems invisible and out to kill Josh Randall....slowly)

Bonanza: The Legacy (The character of the Cartwright boys is weighed against the apparent death of their father)

I Love Lucy: Tennessee Ernie Visits (If there's a funnier Lucy...I've yet to see it and I've seen 'em all)

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
I don't know where to begin, so I'll just rattle em off.

Twilight Zone - Third from the Sun

Lassie - The Disappearance

Star Trek - Tomorrow is Yesterday

Medic - Flash of Darkness

21 Jump Street - 16 blown to 35

Dragnet - The Big Little Jesus (The 1960s Remake as well)

Walker, Texas Ranger - A Matter of Faith

Kraft Suspense Theatre - The Kamchatka Incident

The Name of the Game - Los Angeles 2017

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
I'm going to cast another vote for the final episode of NEWHART. I've rarely spent as emotional an evening. A dear friend, with whom I shared a love of the series, had passed away a few few months previous. So when Bob woke up in bed with Emily I spent a good hour or so, rocking back and forth between tears of laughter over the ending, and tears of regret that I couldn't share the brilliance of that ending with my friend. All these years later I'm still torn between those two feelings ...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks