Your pick Prince Valiant /The 300 Spartans

Discussion in 'DVD' started by John*C, May 14, 2004.

1. John*C

John*C Stunt Coordinator

I received these 2 in the OAR of 2.55:1 and 2.35:1 respectively, both are anamorphic, color, and stereo sound!
    Prince Valiant 1954 starring James Mason has the same amount of screen as 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. The 300 Spartans starring Richard Egan as King Leonidas of Greece is a bit taller because of the OAR of 2.35:1. They are digitally Remastered and for those who have to have a inside insert Prince Valiant has 20 Chapters and The 300 Spartans has 32 both are in clambshell cases versus the unpopular WB snappers!

Running times are Prince Valiant 100 minutes and 108 minutes for the 300 Spartans, IMO they look like they were made yesterday; on my RCA 2001 F38310 HDTV from 1 of my Sony CX475P changers, input Component Y/Pr/Pb. Questions about both films that were viewed by me?

I have not been on 'this' forum since September of 2003 due to ISP problems, nice to be back. [​IMG]

2. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

Why are we to pick something? [​IMG]

3. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Producer

I believe John was very happy with both viewing experiences and was sharing that information, along with an open ended solicitation of questions from folks who might be curious about either title.

No questions from me, BTW. Glad to hear that the quality of both releases was up to snuff. I may be watching 300 Spartans this weekend. I've been on the fence about Prince Valiant but may end up getting this one someday.

Welcome back John.

- Walter.

4. Cam McFarland

Cam McFarland Supporting Actor

I got my copy of 300 Spartans 2-3 days ago & will watch it this weekend.

5. Joe Caps

Joe Caps Cinematographer

they are both digitally remastered. EVERYTHING is digital - it has to be to make it to dvd, so that is a meaningless phrase.
    Even more so is a phrase used oftenhere and in blurbs -NEWLY REMASTERED" AS OPPOSED TO OLDY REMASTERED? mAKES NO SENSE.
    Fox is muddying up the waters as to what is stereo and what is not. They are doing a ka ka mono spread on all of their mono titles - I hope its not costing them much, because its pretty bad. Wih they had taken some of that money they spent on the mono spread of Call Me Madam to give us a better picture.
    prince Valiant is of course true stereo. 300 spartans aint - no way.
    Fox had a great true stereo remix of day the Earth stood Still, Instead, theyused the fake mono one that sounds terrible - what is the point?

6. John*C

John*C Stunt Coordinator

Jeff you didn't understand my last words, if anyone had any 'questions' about either, having viewed both I would gladly answer them. You don't have to pick anything, like Walter said I was pleased with my purchases. I wished to share what was seen both on the case(back side) and on the HDTV. BTW I received them on the 10th as they were to be released on the 11th, I split them into 2 nights of viewing pleasure.[​IMG]

7. Thomas T

Thomas T Producer

I picked them both up too and am glad to have them.

I think 300 Spartans is the more interesting film of the two and it held my attention more and it has a handsome print. On the other hand, Prince Valiant has Janet Leigh and Debra Paget, reason enough alone for me to purchase them!

8. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

i'll take Prince Valient.

you can mail it to me postage due if you want [​IMG]

9. John*C

John*C Stunt Coordinator

I don't have Prince Valient would Price Valium do?[​IMG]

Price Valium~Quote from DVD "Beatlejuice" "She went to bed with Prince Valium" [​IMG]

Sorry I couldn't resist it.

10. Werner_R

Werner_R Stunt Coordinator

Prince Valium also makes an appearance in "Spaceballs" [​IMG]