Your personal pick/s of the year's worst or most disappointing dvd's

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jim*McGregor, Dec 28, 2001.

1. Jim*McGregor

Jim*McGregor Auditioning

As a flipside to the time of the year (now) when dvd enthusiast sites and film critics weigh in on the year's best films, dvd's, what are your personal picks of worst / most extremely disappointing films on dvd you either bought or rented, that you had hoped would be reasonably decent and were hugely disappointed or even ticked off at,

for any reason/s.

2. Brian Lawrence

Brian Lawrence Producer

Brian
    I am bound to get ripped for some of my picks but ah hell, let's fire away!
    Lawrence of Arabia, The edge enhancement was bad enough yet I could of accepted that, But the fact that the color hues and contrast levels of the film have been altered to render a prettier picture rather than the film David Lean intended us to see is unforgiveable. I find that the whole feeling of the film is ruined on the dvd. While it's more detailed than my laserdisc copy, I ultimatly find the LD to be a more accurate representation of how the film should be presented.
    Kubrick Collection V.02, While the vast improvement in picture quality does make this a better set than Warners first hack job release. There is no getting around the fact that Warner still botched it up, By not including the original mono sountracks that Kubrick intended the films to have.
    Suspiria, I'll give Anchor bay credit for turning out what may be the single most amazing dvd transfer I have ever seen but they really dropped the ball on the soundtrack, which now sounds downright candy-assed next to the previous LD release. The nerve jangling Goblin score that was once powerful and in your face, has been sub-dued to mild background noise. Plus various sound effects seem to be completly missing.
    Yi Yi, I think the problems with this disc from Fox-Lorber are well known.

3. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

Easily for me it was It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World. I so looked forward to replacing my ld with this dvd, and then the dvd turned out to be a less complete version of the film than the ld, so I'm still watching that.

4. Steve Enemark

Steve Enemark Second Unit

Easy: Superman: The Movie.
    Warners and Richard Donner raped this classic, and the braying masses (on this website even) lapped it up and begged (Superman 2) for more. [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Gabe D

Gabe D Cinematographer

I would have loved a long version of It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World, and I would like to have a DVD of the original cut of Superman to replace the LD, but neither of these was the most disappointing title for me. That dishonor goes to:
    Village of the Giants
    The picture has been modified to fit my old TV's screen. Through much (but not all) of the film, the image has been stretched vertically (like an anamorphic DVD). Also, the audio is quite bad. An all-around bad DVD presentation. (Unless, of course, it's supposed to be like this for some unfathomable reason. I can't actually disprove that. As hard as it is to believe, technical information about the original theatrical run of mid-60's B pictures can be hard to find.)
    Also, the first release of the Willy Wonka Special Edition was quite disappointing, but you already knew that.

6. Joe D

Joe D Supporting Actor

To me the most dissapointing DVD that I purchased was:
    Shrek
    2 Disc Special Edition, 11 hours worth of content. Well, I found the special edition content for this DVD to be 11 hours worth of fluff. Very dissapointed.

7. John Besse

John Besse Supporting Actor

John
    The Mummy returns. I was really disappointed with the Dolby Digital mix. I just didn't think it sounded accurate all the time and was very redundant at times.

8. Steve_Ch

Steve_Ch Supporting Actor

Star Wars TPM, objectively, it's better than most other DVDs that I brought, but surely did not live up to my expectation.

9. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

10. Mick Wright

Mick Wright Second Unit

Die Hard 3, after the first unwatchable release of this film, I thought they'd get it right this time. Sadly the second time was still bad with unwatchable EE.
    Phantom Menace, transfer had too much EE. With a good transfer this would have been the best dvd of the year.
    Shrek, 11 hours of crap.
    Mummy Returns, one big preview for The Scorpion King.
    Basic Instinct SE, lame packaging.
    Total Recall SE, see above.
    Traffic, no extra features for such a great movie.
    Blood Simple, joke extras are not an improvement over nothing.
    Rocky box set, why bother if you're not going to give all the films new transfers.
    Cleopatra, packaging left the 3rd disc covered in glue.
    A Better Tomorrow II, I hate to pick on Anchor Bay, but the 10 second audio drop out on the "corrected" pressing should have been corrected (again).
    And Steve,

11. Paul_D

Paul_D Cinematographer

1)

12. Holden Pike

Holden Pike Stunt Coordinator

The absolute worst DVD not to come from a Madcay has got to be Artisan's piss-poor release of Cimino's The Sicilian. You can't botch a disc worse than this one.

13. DonaldB

DonaldB Supporting Actor

1. The Puppetmaster - Just when you thought Fox Lorber couldn't do any worse than Yi Yi came this atrocity.

2. Yi Yi - How could such a recent film be made to look so horrible? It would seem that there's just been an all-region, NTSC edition released in Korea with a decent anamorphic transfer. I'll be ordering a copy soon, with fingers crossed.