Your Opinions Please

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by JasonWUC, Jul 24, 2003.

1. JasonWUC

JasonWUC Agent

Hi All,
    I have an OK sound setup at home and I would like y'all's opinion on it.

Pre/Pro B&K Ref 30
    DVD: Pioneer DV-47Ai
    CD:Yamaha CDC-675
    L/C/R amps:(3x) B&K Ref 220M
    Surr. Amp:B&K Ref 2220
    Surr. back amp:B&K Ref 2220
    Mains:DefTech BP-30s
    Center:DefTech CLR 2002
    All Rears:(4x) DefTech BP-Xs
    Subs:(1x) DefTech PF-15TL, (1x) DefTech PF-15TL+

Wired with Monster Cable except for the analog outs on the DVD-A player. Those are Cobalt cables
    No room treatments have been completed because I am getting ready to move.

I have an opportunity to get some MK MX-5000 MKII's for over 1/2 off (legally.) I mean, I like the PF-15's but they aren't as clean or as fast as I want. I've heard the MK mx-5000's at my local Mid/Hi-Fi store, and I like them a lot. Do you think I would benefit that much by replacing the subs? Or would y'all replace something else? Should I wait on getting a place, then tweaking to the room?

Gracias Amigos
    [​IMG]

2. ShaunLB

ShaunLB Stunt Coordinator

3. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

I think waiting till you move might be a good step.

4. JasonWUC

JasonWUC Agent

Thanks for the Info. I appreciate it.

I was really thinking about waiting until I moved, but I have no idea how long I will be able to take advantage of this discount and I'll be moving to another state. Would the MKs be that much better to justify the risk of purchasing them now? I know the sound is really subjective for speakers and other sound material, but what would y'all do?

Gracias.

5. Scott Oliver

Scott Oliver Screenwriter

I think the M&K's will be much better, as they can certainly be considered some of the finest subs made. A title that I think all would agree Def Tech's subs fall short of. But as to whether or not the improvement is worth the dollar difference thats for you to decide with your ears and wallet or maybe if the dealer is a really good salesman. Nevermind[​IMG]

Why not just ask as to how long the deal is lasting? Be upfront about your situation, the dealer might very well be understanding if he truely cares about your satisfaction.

6. Alex Prosak

Alex Prosak Supporting Actor

$1450/sub (approximately), that's a great deal for some excellent subs. I used to have a DT PF-15TL myself and to be honest, I think it sucked. I got rid of it years ago and have been going without any sub until just recently. However, with moving to a different state in your near future, I have another suggestion. Sell the PF-15's now so you don't have to deal with lugging them along and when you get settled in your new home, get a pair of SVS PB-2+'s. Even with shipping, they should be cheaper than a pair of MX-5000's and then you won't have to worry about lugging a pair of them too.

I recently got a PB-2+ and this sub is absolutely phenomenal. IMHO, in terms of performance it is right up there with the MX-5000 (which I used to sell) and the Velo HGS-18.

7. Steve Adams

Steve Adams Second Unit

Shaun LB, that's is funny, nifty little boat. yep, he's got a sweet setup! Jason, how do you find your b&k peices? they sound good? Im looking at these in the future!

8. JasonWUC

JasonWUC Agent

My brother works for a mid/hi-fi store in Texas and the store offers discounts to family members of employees. I have a foreign job right now and don't have a lot of bills so, I figured this was probably gonna be my best chance for assembling better components than I normally could afford.

The B&K stuff sounds great! I used to have a Yamaha RX-V2095 powering all the DefTechs. It was a good 5 channel amplifier but, I just wanted a separates seven channel system. The 220M (I think the new model is called the 200.1) is a great monoblock. The 220Ms lets the BP-30s have a lot more authority in the room. I used the "Fight Club" soundtrack as a test for this. The bass and midbass was really accentuated through the B&K amps. A good friend of mine came over, listened to the new pieces and said "They did NOT used to do that." I love my monoblocks. The performance with the stereo amps I have is pretty good. I just have a nagging feeling in the back of my head that I'm using this separate power amp to run a small surround speaker above 1KHz! It just doesn't make sense to me right now. However, I recently got married..........................Most of my 'massing' days are over. One, maybe two choice pieces are about it for me.

Hope this was some help.[​IMG]