Your opinion Yam RXV630 or JVC RX8030

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Joe Main, Dec 31, 2003.

1. Joe Main

Joe Main Extra

Greetings, This is my first post, great place. I need your help. I walked into 6th Ave Electronics ready to buy the JVC RX8030VBK 130Watts after much narrowing down. Salesman says he can do it at my price! But shows me the Yamaha RXV630 75watts that is on sale for the same price. He thinks the Yamaha is a better receiver because Yamaha is better at building receivers than JVC. He said that JVC130 watts doesn't necesarily make it a better receiver. Either model will be adequate to drive my speakers. I would like to purchase one today does anyone have an opinion as to which one is the better quality? Thanks Joe

2. John S

John S Producer

Go with the Yamaha out of those two. Nothing against JVC receievers though at all.

3. Jesse Sharrow

Jesse Sharrow Supporting Actor

Yeah you will get much much better sound quality out of the yamaha. They jvc is proably pushing only 50 watts rms. Pure power.

4. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

That's kind of hard to tell. The JVC 8000VBK which was a few generations before the 8030 was rated at 100 watts per channel. However, the receiver tested @ 68 watts per channel - which isn't too bad.

5. Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley Cinematographer

Ed
    I have the 8020, and I love it! I like JVC equipment. I think you get a lot of bang for the buck. I've had this receiver for over a year. I had another JVC receiver for 9 yrs., and have never had any problems with either one.
    There's plenty of power to drive about any speaker you hook to it. There's plenty of inputs (including the 6 analog for dvd-a and sacd). There's even a usb input on the front, to hook up your pc and listen to mp3s thru it.. Take some cds and dvds with you to store, that you're familiar with, and listen to both receivers, and get the one you like best!
    Let the receivers decide for you..........instead of us. [​IMG]

6. Joe Main

Joe Main Extra

Thanks folks for the replys. Well I hope to purchase real soon (today?)sticking with my first choice, the JVC 8030. By the way are there certain specs. that matter more than others when comparing receivers. The salesman said look at THD
    this is the JVC:
    130 watts x 2 min. RMS, both channels driven into 8 ohms from 20Hz to 20kHz with no more than 0.08% THD
    this is the Yamaha:
    MAIN, 20Hz-20kHz, 0.06% THD, 8 ohms
    I see the JVC is 0.08% and the Yamaha is 0.06% is this 0.02% difference an amount that is discernable to the human ear? thanks Joe

7. Ed Moxley

Ed
    I doubt a dog would hear a difference like that........... [​IMG]

8. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

I doubt it but is the JVC really putting that many watts out?

After owning a JVC receiver and their past, I doubt it.

9. Ed Moxley

Ed
    Very few receivers put out the actual power level that's advertised!
    I bet the Yammy isn't either........
    If the JVC is saying 130, it's probably doing 100-105, which is still better than the Yammy, even if it's actually putting out the 75........, which I doubt seriously.
    I was basing my suggestion from personal experience with JVC. They are a lot better product than a lot of people give them credit for!
    They tend to run a little cheaper, and usually have more features.
    What's wrong with that? Mine is an older and less powerful one than the 8030, but has enough power, with power to spare............
    Good choice Joe. I'm sure you will be happy! [​IMG]

10. Joe Main

Joe Main Extra

The deal is done I purchased the JVC 8030. Thank you everyone. Thanks Ed Moxley, just finished reading your last reply, I feel just a bit better as you write
    Good words of comfort.

Joe

11. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

Bought my daughter the JVC 9010 because of the 2 zone's & RF remote about a year & a half ago & she has never had any problems with it. Joe PLEASE follow up with a report on the 8030 because I have a few friends who are really interested in this model. Cnet has a very positive review on the 8030 but they din't like the 9010 so I'm wondering if JVC might have cleaned up the amps compared to the older 8000 & 9000 series? I don't know what you paid for it but I know it can be had for under $300 & for the features you get I don't think it can be beat. It's too bad though that JVC did away with the on-screen menu system that the 8000 & 9000 models had. Looking forward to your review.

12. Ed Moxley

Ed
    Bill.......
    My 8020 has the on screen menus for set up. It is a 2 yr. old model now, tho I've had it a little over a year. Joe, the set up should be fairly easy, even if your model don't have the on screen menus. You'll be able to see the setup info in the receiver's display area, as you do it.
    In case you are new to HT.........you'll need to turn on the subwoofer in the receiver setup. Also have to assign the inputs and outputs for whatever you're hooking up. If you have any video hooked up to receiver inputs, you'll need to use the same type cable for the output to tv. If your dvd has both digital coax and optical audio outputs, take your choice. No real difference in sound. Digital coax is cheaper. If you use optical, just make sure the optical cable doesn't get crimped. Will snap inside coating.
    Let us know how it goes...........

13. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

Ed, I agree about the setup & JVC now has a Quick Setup Jog Dial but it's stiil too bad that they din't include the on-screen menu of the 8020 because without it you can't adjust Dolby Pro-Logic II: Panorama, Center Width, Dimension or JVC's DSP Effects: Room Size, Liveness or Center Speaker Tone from the Remote Control anymore becuse it all has to be done using the Jog Dial ON the Receiver. So if you wanted to compare let's say "Center Width" 2 setting to "Center Width" 7 setting from your seated listening position it means you have to run back & forth from the receiver to your seat to try & compare the difference. This still would not be a deal breaker for me though if I decided that I liked the Sound Quality of the JVC.

14. Joe Main

Joe Main Extra

Thank You everyone, I bought the JVC New Years Day and have been playing with it ever since. I can't speak highly enough about this receiver it has everything this newbee could want and sounds fantastic. I think a movie is really 50% sound now. Tweak,tweak,tweak. How long did you folks take making adjustments until everything sounded just right [​IMG] I posted a question on the Tweaking Board regarding - do you set the DD in the DVD or the JVC I can do either, do I somehow eleminate it from the DVD and allow it to work through the JVC. Don't know if that makes sense. Thanks again Joe

15. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

Joe, Glad you like the JVC & I will tell my friends what you thought of it. As for tweaking the Receiver I always thought that was half the fun of having all those modes. As for my daughter's JVC, she lives in another state from me & I have never even seen it & her boyfriend set it up for her using a SPL Meter & that was also one of the reasons I went with the JVC because you can adjust the sound to your liking for each source even AM or FM & it stays that way. So after her boyfriend set it up for her all she does is select the source that she wants to listen too & everything is set to go for her. I do know that she does play with some of the DSP Modes like Theater, Hall & etc but that's only a button push on the remote & she can easily set it back to the way her boyfriend set it up. Good Luck & enjoy your new Receiver & Surround Sound [​IMG]

16. Ed Moxley

Ed
    I still tweak, after years..........
    You need to enable the digital output for the dvd player, AND the inputs on the receiver. Once enabled, 5.1 is usually the default. If you have the digital auto setting in the receiver, most dvds will automatically go to DD 5.1. But if there's a dts track on the dvd disc, you need to go into the movie's menus and choose dts track. Make sure your player has dts enabled. Most dvd players ship from factory with dts turned off. Needs to be set for BITSTREAM output, not PCM..........
    Most movies that have dts tracks, sound better that way, but not always. Once in awhile the DD 5.1 track sounds better. You'll just have to decide for yourself..........
    Glad you are enjoying your JVC. You see now why I said that they are better than a lot of people give them credit for. Because they sell cheaper than most others with the same features, people think they can't be good. What do you think? [​IMG]

17. Joe Main

Joe Main Extra

This JVC is a steal I would reccomend it to anyone looking for a first HT receiver. 130 watts I paid $255 at 6th ave electronics they matched their online price at their store.
    One very happy camper. funny back in 1972 while in the Army I bought a 4 channel Pioneer Stereo pre HT