your opinion, which is better: hk avr-125 vs. sony str-de995 (need respons fast)q/ato

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by dajaga, Sep 6, 2003.

1. dajaga

dajaga Stunt Coordinator

hi i am planning on upgrading my old reciever its a technics sa-da10. right now i have a paradigm speakers.
    fronts: mon.7
    center:cc270
    rears:micros
    sub:pw2200
    well my problem is that some times when im watching a movie i get an overload problem. and sometimes i dont. like today i was watching lord of the rings movie one extended edition and i got it. but after watching another movie face/off it didnt over load. but after the movie i watched the lord of the rings and i didnt get an overload. i dont have any banana plugs just bare wire.. so i just thought i needed more power.

2. Chris Sherman

Chris Sherman Second Unit

Harmon Kardon HK125 . Less bells and whistles than sony, but it has it where it counts, in the amplifier section. It will deliver during peaks when more power is demanded and will sound better than the Sony on both music and movies. If you want a Sony and want good sound youv'e got to move up to the ES line.

3. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

I agree with Chris. Even then I still like the HarmanKardon's better than Sony. I bought my HK AVR-225 and i'm loving it. I notice how nice and clean the sound is compared to my old recievers and how much more power it is able to put out than system that say 100w5 which usually deliver half of that if they are lucky.

Take the HK and don't look back.

4. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Avoid all Sony DE models...esp if you have the option of something like the HK.

5. dajaga

dajaga Stunt Coordinator

so is the hk avr-125 a good buy for 600 canadian. i saw it at futureshop for 750$ canadian

6. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Its certinaly better then the sony.

7. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

In my most truthful opinion I don't think you can beat HK unless you go into seperates. HK has there most basic model that competes with other lines and slowly goes up and competes as well at the other price ranges. HK provides some great amps and I just don't think unless you get into seperates that you can actually get a better deal than a HK.

8. Ian-Fl

Ian-Fl Second Unit

I bought my avr125 from Etronics for $450 Canadian taxes included. J&R will make the same deal. The downside is with warranty repair the receiver goes back to the states.

9. Dean-P

Dean-P Stunt Coordinator

Here is a link to a Canadian company out of Medicine Hat AB. Now if you print off the price of the Harmon-Kardon and bring it to Futureshop, they will pricematch it. This will ensure you that you will have the warranty!My friend did this with the 325...
    BTW the price of the AVR-125 is $423 Can$[​IMG]
    http://superstore-electronics.com/cat_harman.cfm