Your opinion of JVC RX-DV31SL combo receiver/dvd player

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by JeanB, Aug 27, 2003.

1. JeanB

JeanB Extra

I would really appreciate opinions on this unit.

Things that sound good to me are 100Watts X 5, On screen display, JPEG playback, Pro Logic 11, Progressive scan. and the fact that it is available from Amazon for $285.

My concerns are where they say "Quick speaker setup: The user can easily set up their system simply by inputing the number of speakers and the room size, then the receiver will do the rest". Does this mean that you cannot set up using something like the Video Essentials disk?

Is there any Bass/treble adjustment available?

Thanks for your comments

2. Dennis Gardner

Dennis Gardner Stunt Coordinator

You can setup the audio using VE as with any receiver. All tone and crossover controls are onscreen and the remote works nicely.

I would really doubt that the output of this receiver is anywhere close to 100 watts. I would say around 40-50 tops without distortion. I also own a JVC RXV-9010 and it is substantially more powerful and many say it is good for only 60 watts or so.

I use the RX-DV3 for a bedroom unit and love the idea of 1 box for the whole system, and would consider it better than many HTIB setups since I use Polk Audio RM6600s with it.

I have owned it for around a year and it has performed flawlessly for my TV,DVD,ComputerMP3s and radio. Infact it is rarely turned off at all. Nice little unit.

Dennis

3. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

Go to www.jvc.com & click "Service & Support" then "User Manuals" then enter "RX-DV31" & the owners manual for the JVC RX-DV31 will download & that should answer "all" of your questions about setup & etc. I think it's a nice little unit [​IMG]

4. JeanB

JeanB Extra

I appreciate your helpful responses. I did check the manual and found out that the total Max amps is 200 so the statement that they had made of 100 Watts per channel is, in my opinion, inexcusable deception. I guess it is 100 Watts per channel if you only use two speakers. In a 5 speaker arrangement it is only 40 Watts per channel. I had thought I might use the JBL NSP1 speaker system with it but they only have a sensitivity rating of 86 dB. I believe the combination would be underpowered for even normal volume levels in a 14 X 24 ft room with 8 1/2 ft ceiling height. The seating is approximately 19 ft from the large screen TV.
    I don't know if I can find speakers in my price range that are effecient enough to compensate for the receivers lack of power. Thanks again. Without your input I would have not known about the underpower problem.

5. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

Jean, I just received JVC's HI-FI Component catalog in the mail today & this is what it states about the watts on the RX-DV31SL:

Stereo Watts (2 channels):
    100 watts per channel min. RMS, driven into 8ohms from 40Hz to 20KHz, with no more than 0.8% total harmonic distortion.

Surround Watts:
    100 watts per channel min. RMS, driven into 8ohms at 1KHz,
    with no more than 0.8% total harmonic distortion.

So I would think your right it's probably around 40 to 50 watts a channel for surround sound. The truth lies in the middle somewhere because of the 40Hz measurment & the 1KHz measurment.

For the size of the room you have & speakers I would look for a amp. that puts out 70 or more "REAL MEASURED WATTS" For a small room or bedroom the DV-31SL would probably be ok. Just my 2 cents [​IMG]

If your looking to get a low priced receiver I would take a look at the Panasonic SA-HE100 It can be had for under $250 delivered & it puts out around 70 watts each for 6 channels in "Real Watts" & it has received a lot of good reviews & it can be had in black or silver if that's important to you.
    The manual for this can also be downloaded from Panasonic's website or check out the new Pioneer 812 which also has been getting good reveiws.