Your Opinion for a rookie

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Lyle_E, Nov 21, 2003.

1. Lyle_E

Lyle_E Stunt Coordinator

Hello, and greetings. I just want to start out by saying "after poking around here for a few days and seeing photos of some of the systems, Day-ummmmmm Nice set-ups you folks have!"

I am curious as to how well I did when I purchased my toddler home theatre system? I am a rookie when it comes to all this. It sounds really good in the 16 x 10 room I have it in. I have just cut a hole in my wall to push the tv back and added a step up to the couch. I am getting ready to add a door to the room for isolation from the rest of the house. Most of the remodeling is done on a cheap guy shoestring budget.

I am looking to add some panels to help with sound reflection. < any advice on low budget solutions for sound deadening?

Opions on my equipment?
    I purchased a hitachi 43" 16 x 9 HDTV
    Onkyo HT-R490 Home theatre system (5.1 DD and DTS)
    Onkyo DV-S393 DVD player
    Klipsch 10" Powered sub

Ill get some photos for anyone who would like to take a gander (even though the choice of wall color was a wee bit off)

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Welcome to the Forum, Lyle!

Congrats on getting one of the better pre-packaged systems that required a separate DVD player. Much better than the everything-in-on-box systems. And it was a smart move to get the Klipsch sub – always an improvement on any sub that comes in a pre-packaged system. A 10-incher is a little small for HT, but since your room is small you’ll probably be okay (unless it opens up to other areas).

I wouldn’t worry about the acoustical treatments. Acoustics generally aren’t a big concern in a small room. Things like wall-to-wall carpeting, furniture etc. provide adequate dampening, and other fixtures like wall pictures, bookshelves etc. provide dispersion. Just kick back and enjoy your system!

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. Lyle_E

Lyle_E Stunt Coordinator

Thank you, I have the klipsch set up to handle the lower frequencies 70 Khz and lower and the Onkyo Sub seem to handle the higher freq's

EDit to remove dead links..

Look in my sig to see the room

4. Gary Thomas

Gary Thomas Second Unit

Lyle: Adding a door is a great idea. I recently moved to a new house & remodeled the basement for HT use. I put in an exterior door between the HT and unfinished section, and another exterior door at the bottom of the stairs leading up to the main level of the house. When you close those doors you almost feel as though you are being sealed in a jar! They made a huge difference in isolating the sounds inside & out of the room.

For acoustic panels, I made my own by building a simple 2' x 4' wood frame, filling the center with "Linacoustic" insulation, and stretching GOM fabric over the frame. I have 4 panels along the back wall. It made a noticeable difference in clarity and imaging...plus they look great & the color of the fabric add an accent to the color of the walls.

5. Lyle_E

Lyle_E Stunt Coordinator

I dug up my first post here to basically ask opinions again and I wanted everyone to see what HTF has done to me..

Scince I first dicovered this place I have scince changed the following:

Before
    RIP - hitachi 43" 16 x 9 HDTV
    Gone - Onkyo HT-R490 Home theatre system (5.1 DD and DTS)
    In the closet - Onkyo DV-S393 DVD player
    Soon to replaced - Klipsch 10" Powered sub

After:
    Integra DTR 5.5 (7.1 DD/DTS)
    Klipsch RF-15 fronts, RC-35 center, (3) SS-1 surrounds for 6.1 sound
    Zenith DVB-318 DVD player (upconvert via component)
    Infocus 4805 projector with Dalite 76" diag 16:9 1.5 gain screen
    On order - SVS Sub 20-39 PCI

See the pics in my sig

My wife hates this place [​IMG]

6. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Congrats Lyle, lookin' good! With all the new toys I’m surprised you can still afford your internet service. [​IMG]

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

7. JasonSTR

JasonSTR Auditioning

awesome setup [​IMG]