What's new

Your one single all-time favourite DVD supplement? (1 Viewer)

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
It's a hard choice, but I'm going to have to go with the painfully hilarious Peter Ustinov interview on Criterion's Spartacus. I laugh myself sick watching that (his Charles Laughton impressions primarily), and he must be the ultimate dinner party guest.

You can only pick one! Choose carefully!

ErikG

Senior HTF Member
The Cameron Crowe/Amy Heckerling commentary for Fast Times at Ridgemont high.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Probably the re-recorded score for City Lights.

Carl Davis is king of silent film scores, IMO...and I hope WB puts the re-recorded track on their 2-disc SE of City Lights for next June.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Well, I don't know if this counts as a supplement, but the 1945 version of The Big Sleep, which is included in the dvd of the released 1946 version, would be my favorite.

Cary T

Screenwriter
John Carpenter and Kurt Russel's commentary on Big Trouble in Little China. It's the funniest commentary I've heard. They commented on some important issues in the film industry, but nothing on the movie itself :D

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
The Battle of Brazil.
I'm not that big a fan of the movie, but I love this little tidbit into what goes on in the movie industry.

Rich Romero

Supporting Actor
The best supplement ever would have to be the maze in the Nightmare Encyclopedia on the bonus disc of the Nightmare On Elm Street Collection. It proves that New Line was going all out for the series that made the company what it is.

Runner Up:

Under Pressure: Making The Abyss

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
90m interview with Ingmar Bergman and Erland Josephson on the Criterion Cries & Whispers disc.

Fascinating and touching insight into one of my favorite directors.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I’d take the supplements in Criterion’s Spartacus. If I have to pick one out of those two disks, it would be the commentaries (ok, I know that there are two, but for me they both count as one commentary).

Others of note:

·The essay on Andrei Rublev
·The commentary on L’Avventurra—actually most of the extras here are good
·Scott has already mentioned Brazil
·Commentary track on Halloween, mandatory for anyone interested in how low-budget films are made.
·The documentary on Buñuel’s life and work on the second disk of The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie, a must for those interested in this director.
·All of the extras on For All Mankind. I particularly loved the painting and commentary by Al Bean.\
·Commentary on Grand Illusion
·Ebert’s commentary on Citizen Kane. I’ll never listen to the Bogdonavitch track again.
·I really enjoy the Marion Keane commentaries: The Lady Eve, Notorious, and The 39 Steps.
·Commentary on Seven Samurai
·I also like the Bruce Eder commentaries, such as the one on The Lady Vanishes
·Anything that Scorsese has to say about Powell and Pressberger. Loved all the extras on The Red Shoes
·Commentary on Peeping Tom by Laura Mulvey
·Commentary track on The Last Temptation of Christ
·The extras on Dryer’s works.

I could go on. Probably on the commentaries, it would be easier for me to like the one’s I don’t like, such as the excruciatingly. boring commentaries on the Beastie Boys Anthology or the hours and hours and hours of listening to Coppola talk on the ‘Godfather’ set, especially Godfather, Part III where he justifies the use of his daughter as an actress and why she should not have had her performance criticized.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks