What's new

Your new BD titles requests from Twilight Time (1 Viewer)

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
There is no comparable digital source for The Hallelujah Trail so TT would have to do the heavy lifting themselves which doesn't really make sense with their release model.

Dolittle on the other hand is doable but what has been released in Germany is rather below TT's usual standards.

trajan007

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Larry C Bender
Fox is very proud of their TODD-AO films and have gone the extra mile to make them look as good as possible in the past even if some of them were not big money makers..

t1g3r5fan

Reviewer
Real Name
Mychal Bowden
Sorry to go off topic here, but I'd like to put in a request for Casey's Shadow (1978), as it hasn't been released on video in it's original aspect ratio; also, if it does happen - assuming that tracks for it exist - I'd like to have the rejected Elmer Bernstein score available as an isolated track.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Still stunned we're waiting on choice Columbia/Sony titles like SHAMPOO, THE PASSENGER, and NIGHT OF THE DEMON/CURSE OF THE DEMON, and '90's titles like IN THE COMPANY OF MEN, FARAWAY SO CLOSE! and John Sayles' MEN WITH GUNS & LIMBO.

Wouldn't mind seeing John Frankenheimer's Columbia titles I WALK THE LINE and THE HORSEMEN, either.

Broken record time: CURSE/NIGHT OF THE DEMON is available from Germany, and looks great.

https://www.amazon.fr/Rendez-vous-É...1496521029&sr=1-1&keywords=night+of+the+demon

Why TT or Sony itself haven't yet release this in the States one can only surmise. This is a Region B release, and the massive booklet is written in French, but it's a very fine-looking disc.

trajan007

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Larry C Bender
I will repeat this for what its worth. I have been asking for Dolittle from TT for years. When I recently asked them if any roadshows were in the pipeline, they replied "you bet and one of them is one of your favorites" The only way I can interpret this is that they are releasing it. I don't think they would release an older transfer. Who knows, we might even get STAR!

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
All large format movies where Fox has prepared 4k masters where not released through TT but through Fox.

Twilight Time has said they have rights to two Fox Todd-AO films. The rumor is that they are Doctor Doolittle and Can-Can. I would prefer Star! as one of the titles, but I can't have everything.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I would think that it could be the old masters of Star! and Dolittle.
Dolittle looks very harsh as we know from Europe and I would expect something similar for Star!

I think that Fox has revisited Can-Can at a later date as it was also in the Fox Vote your Choice contest that turned into the great John Wayne extravaganza.

Personally I have seen all of these in 70mm not too long ago and I have very little desire to see them on subpar Blu-rays so I hope that whatever gets released is on the quality level of the second Patton release or South Pacific.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
I don't think they would release an older transfer. Who knows, we might even get STAR!

I hope you are right that they got something better from Fox for whatever large format movie they want to release as it would not be that great for anybody involved if they released a Dolittle of comparable quality to what was released in Europe.

There is by now a number of large format movies released in Europe with Blu-ray releases that look worse than any decent release from a standard 35mm production. Even though they may have the rights to some of them I can imagine that TT would be hesitant to go forward with a release in these cases, even though they may actually hold the rights to several of these:

Dr. Dolittle
Mackenna's Gold
The Long Ships
Barabbas

John Paul Jones
Custer of the West
The Fall of the Roman Empire
El Cid

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I would think that if they were going to use the older Doolittle master, the release would have happened a couple of years ago.

BRAD1963

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BRAD
All large format movies where Fox has prepared 4k masters where not released through TT but through Fox.

Perhaps in the past. But when is the last time Fox released a catalog title? TT has hinted at having Dr Dolittle for while now. Quite frankly, I wish they would release already so people will shut up about it. I don't know what is is about this title that drives people insane. People have had tantrums on their Facebook page about it.

BRAD1963

Supporting Actor
Real Name
BRAD
Sorry to go off topic here, but I'd like to put in a request for Casey's Shadow (1978), as it hasn't been released on video in it's original aspect ratio; also, if it does happen - assuming that tracks for it exist - I'd like to have the rejected Elmer Bernstein score available as an isolated track.

I'm a huge Martin Ritt fan. I'd buy it.

Last edited:

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Any HD release of Barabbas would be an immediate buy for me, but I can't abide the burned in subs that Sidonis employs. Also, still hoping and praying for Story of Ruth, The President's Lady, Esther and the King, Francis of Assisi, Beneath the 12-Mile Reef or even a Region A The Conqueror.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
THE WRONG BOX ...great John Barry score ..not mention a very funny film..
INTERLUDE..beautiful score by Georges Delerue...haunting film.
THE VICTORS...as powerful today as it was in 1962.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Any HD release of Barabbas would be an immediate buy for me, but I can't abide the burned in subs that Sidonis employs. Also, still hoping and praying for Story of Ruth, The President's Lady, Esther and the King, Francis of Assisi, Beneath the 12-Mile Reef or even a Region A The Conqueror.

Story of Ruth could look decent judging by what is available on vudu plus TT might have the rights to release it.

As for Barabbas I hope that this is the large format title that Sony handles next as the Sidonis Blu-ray looks so bad that I would never watch the movie like that even though I can move subtitles out fo the way. I also happen to think that it is more interesting than Lord Jim, so hopefully somebody at Sony will see things the same.

With your taste in movies you really should be a region B or multiregion player.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Perhaps in the past. But when is the last time Fox released a catalog title? TT has hinted at having Dr Dolittle for while now. Quite frankly, I wish they would release already so people will shut up about it. I don't know what is is about this title that drives people insane. People have had tantrums on their Facebook page about it.

Some of their more recent catalog releases were large format titles that have been scanned at 4k or higher:

The King and I
Oklahoma!
Carousel

I think that apart from the activities of trajan007 under his various screen names there is not all that much interest in Doctor Dolittle but hey, we won't tell anybody ;)

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
I hope you are right that they got something better from Fox for whatever large format movie they want to release as it would not be that great for anybody involved if they released a Dolittle of comparable quality to what was released in Europe.

There is by now a number of large format movies released in Europe with Blu-ray releases that look worse than any decent release from a standard 35mm production. Even though they may have the rights to some of them I can imagine that TT would be hesitant to go forward with a release in these cases, even though they may actually hold the rights to several of these:

Dr. Dolittle
Mackenna's Gold
The Long Ships
Barabbas

John Paul Jones
Custer of the West
The Fall of the Roman Empire
El Cid

Kino Lober is releasing Custer of the West and Krakatoa East of Java on Blu-ray 9/12.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks