Your music is terrible and it all sounds the same

Discussion in 'Music' started by CaseyLS, Aug 20, 2004.

1. CaseyLS

CaseyLS Second Unit

Does any one else get this from people?

I most often hear this when people are referring to country and rap. And it always comes from people who don't listen to either genres.

I know this thread doesn't really have a point but I may elaborate in the morning when I am actually rested.[​IMG]

2. ZacharyTait

ZacharyTait Cinematographer

I actually get that from people younger than me who listen to rap. They think alternative and 90's rock sucks. I don't think so! [​IMG]

3. CaseyLS

CaseyLS Second Unit

My problem with people who say stuff like that is they don't listen to the music. Sunday I was cleaning with my roommate and Randy Travis's Forever and ever Amen came on. Within the first 20 seconds he was complaining about the song. I asked if he had ever heard it and he said no. Hell I even give Backstreet Boys more than 20 seconds.

Once again sorry for all the jibbajabba I am tired and on my way to being drunk.

4. Felix Martinez

Felix Martinez Screenwriter

My favorite comment was from my dad, who, upon hearing some AC/DC I was listening to, remarked that "that music all sounds the same."

Being a musician, I went over to his salsa CD collection, took out my guitar, and proceeded to show him that 99% of his preferred music contained the same 3 chord I-IV-V structure.

Cheers,

5. EricSchulz

EricSchulz Producer

I've got ya all beat: I love dance music (I was a DJ for almost five years) and BOY, do I hear it from my non-dance friends! When trance was huge I could identify several artists even though they produced only instrumental music (Paul Van Dyke, Armin Van Buuren, DJ Tiesto) because TO ME I heard a style that no one else did...all they heard was the 130BPM 4/4 drum beat. Same thing with remixers...I can tell many apart because they have a distinct style. Pretty much any genre of music could have the "it all sounds the same" tag attached, especially to the untrained ear.

6. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    I wrote a 3 chord song called "It's All The Same". It was all the same and I'm a terrible guitarist.

7. Jim Rakowiecki

Jim Rakowiecki Stunt Coordinator

Everyone is entitled to thier own opinion. Personally I don't care what other people think I haven't spent the past 25 years and thousands upon thousands of dollars building a music collection for someone else.
    Ask your roomate to open his ears to something new and give it a try. He might find he likes it or he may still hate it but at least he tried. Be patient it takes time for people to get used to new music and longer still to appreciate it.

8. Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber Supporting Actor

Of course, it would be pretty unlikely for people to listen to a musical genre where they think all the songs sound the same.

9. Chet_F

Chet_F Supporting Actor

Really....you've got to feel sorry for those type of people. They are obviously closed minded and have only one type of music they listen to(this is my mom). I personally like many different types of music for when I need something to calm me down or if I'm on a road trip and I need to be awake, etc. Rock, Alternative, Hard Rock, MEtal, Techno, Country, Blues, Rap, Easy Listening, Folk.....well you get the point.[​IMG]

Just don't let people like that get to you.

CF

10. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

To be fair, AC/DC is all the same. That's actually why they're one of the few rock bands I still like. Empires may fall and disco may rise again, but AC/DC will always rock.

Trying being a jazz fan. "It's all the same." Well, yeah, I guess it all has bass and pianos and horns. These same people listen to metal and hard rock almost exclusively which has lately become just all clanging guitar noise to me anyway.

11. chung_sotheby

chung_sotheby Supporting Actor

While that is true, I feel that unless someone is completely close-minded, they will know certain music is good if they hear it. If someone is so willing to dismiss something without even giving it a chance, then it is THEIR problem.

I, for one, HATE certain types of music, but I still like and enjoy some bands are classified as such. For example, I HATE country music, but I still really like some country artists, such as Johnny Cash, Emmylou Harris, Hank Williams, Dixie Chicks, if that makes sense. However, I will never refuse to listen to a track just because I hate the genre or I think that it all sounds the same (which is I partially think). I know some of my friends who thought the same as rap, but when I had them listen to stuff by OutKast, Blackalicious, Roots, Pharcyde, Tribe, etc, they were able to hear what good rap really is, as opposed to the contant crap flow of Fabolous/Chingy/Nelly/Puffy/Cassidy/Ja Rule that they usually hear over top40 stations.

12. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm

Definitely.

13. Darryl

Darryl Stunt Coordinator

It's not about having a trained or untrained ear, or even about being patient enough to "get" a particular type of music. It's that we define unfamiliar music based on what most stands out to us as being different from "normal" music. And what's normal will obviously differ from person to person based on your musical preferences.

Rap and dance music in particular have very distinct characteristics compared to most other styles of music. Rap almost always has really prominent bass combined with lyrics that are spoken instead of sung. If you're not into rap, that's what you'll notice when you hear rap song A. Listen to rap song B, C, or D and guess what, it's exactly the same defining characteristics. They all sound the same because they're different from "normal" music in the same way. If what you most notice about dance music is the tempo and the rhythmic patterns, a whole lot of dance music is gonna sound like the same thing all over again.

But that's what makes it a genre of music - it's got something in common with other music in the same genre. Take away rap's style of singing and heavy bass and it's not rap any more. Take the 2-4 syncopation from reggae and you no longer have reggae. Take out Angus's guitar and AC/DC ceases to be AC/DC.

There's nothing wrong with thinking some style of music is all the same. It takes exposure to get past what defines a genre so you can appreciate what makes each song unique. No one can possibly be sufficiently exposed to all styles of music to do that for more than a few genres. If you don't think there's some genre that all sounds the same to you you're fooling yourself.

14. Grant B

Grant B Producer

I remember the 1st time I listened to Husker Du; thought it was horrible Noise. But I gave it an extra chance and heard things in it. Now they are one of my favorite bands.
    I think anything new and different normally attacks the senses.

15. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Education is the key here. I totally hated country for decades, but then I heard a song that had something in it that I liked. (I'm speaking really generally here). After hearing a few more tracks and liking them, I found out that they were like this group, and that group...and so on. You get the idea.

So, I think you just need to explain how you got started liking that genre, and only then they might be able to understand.

As for the dance music, I've never really gotten that. I can dance to practically anything. The beat doesn't even have to be consistant - you just have to know how to move with the music.

..and as long as I am here, there are just way too many types of music out today. A few new types (like rap) do deserve their own section (one that I stay far away from), but it can really be a PITA if you consider a group in genre 'A' when the record store puts them in 'B'.

Glenn