Your most-wanted candidates for Fox's Studio Classics in 2004?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Jon Robertson, Aug 16, 2003.

1. Jon Robertson

Jon Robertson Screenwriter

I was reading Barrie Maxwell's splendid column over at The Digital Bits and came across this:

2. Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel Producer

In a word... noir

Fox has a number of classic noir titles in their vault. I really wish they would start releasing them.

- Walter.

3. streeter

streeter Screenwriter

Michael
    Doesn't Fox own The Razor's Edge?

4. Matt Butler

Matt Butler Screenwriter

How to Steal a Million!!

Ive been waiting for that for years!

5. Opi

Opi Stunt Coordinator

I would die for "I Was a Male War Bride" [​IMG]

6. Derek_McL

Derek_McL Second Unit

Well the obvious one is The Grapes of Wrath (1940): strange that nobody has mentioned that so far. Is it definitely coming in 2004 ? I would second most of Jon's nominations and add a few of my own :

Young Mr Lincoln (1939)film which established Henry Fonda's honest American persona.
    Jesse James (1939)(saw this last Xmas on the BBC in an awful washed out print)
    The Return of Frank James (1940)

A couple of Alice Faye musicals :

Alexander's Ragtime Band (1938): excellent compendium of Irving Berlin songs

Rose of Washington Square (1939): Al Jolson steals this singing some of his old classics : I believe some out-takes are on one of the Hidden Hollywood DVDs : Treasures from the 20th Century Fox vaults : obvious extras then.

A good James Stewart thriller : Call Northside 777 (1948)

Perhaps a few more titles from the Fox years before Zanuck came on the scene although many of these films are lost.

Zanuck produced one undoubted classic just before forming 20th Century Fox in 1935 which I'd love to see on DVD but I don't know who owns the rights (probably Fox) :
    that's the Charles Laughton/ Fredric March version of Les Miserables (1935) still the best film version of the novel.

7. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

Joe Mankiwicz's A Letter To Three Wives
    -Ann Southern, Linda Darnell, Jeanne Crain, Kirk Douglas, Paul Douglas, and a voice over by Celeste Holm.
    one of my favorite vintage films

also Forever Amber great 'risque' (well, not as risque as the source unfortunately) technicolor costumer also w/ Linda Darnell

8. Alistair_M

Alistair_M Second Unit

9. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

(smacks his head)Good Grief!
    how could i forget Leave Her To Heaven !?

10. Jaime_Weinman

Jaime_Weinman Supporting Actor

Please, please, won't somebody release Margie (1946) with Jeanne Crain. This sweet, funny, oddly melancholy film about a shy teenage girl in the '20s is one of the most beautiful-looking movies of the '40s (unlike most Hollywood movies of that time, most of the outdoor scenes were shot on location rather than on the studio backlot). It's never been on video in any form, and the TV prints don't do justice to that Fox technicolor.

And I second the wish for Heaven Can Wait (1943). There's still not nearly enough Lubitsch on DVD, and the VHS and laserdisc versions did not do justice to the color photography (I've seen a good 35 mm print and it blew me away).

11. Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff Cinematographer

The films I would most like to see Fox release are:

MARGIE(my mother's favorite movie)
    DRUMS ALONG THE MOHAWK
    JESSE JAMES
    THE UNDYING MONSTER
    (great Wolfman style movie with gorgeous art direction and photography)
    HANGOVER SQUARE
    THE LODGER
    HEAVEN CAN WAIT
    LEAVE HER TO HEAVEN
    THE BLACK SWAN
    THE RAZOR'S EDGE

12. Kevin_Lodge

Kevin_Lodge Stunt Coordinator

another vote for Lifeboat by Alfred Hitchcock. Not one of his better known movies but definately a classic.

13. Scott Leopold

Scott Leopold Supporting Actor

Lifeboat is one of my favorite Hitchcock movies. I'd love to finally have that on DVD next year. It also includes my alltime favorite Hitch cameos.

14. Greg_M

Greg_M Screenwriter

Well I for one am glad that "Call Me Madam" is finally making it's way to video (For the first time) Fans of the musical genre will at least be happy. The film was made the same year as "Gentlemen Prefer Blondes" and is a top Fox production. If the DVD looks anything like "Blondes" it will be some disc. I understand one of the stars is doing an audio comentary (probably Donald O'Conner since i believe he's the only one left)

15. GerardoHP

GerardoHP Supporting Actor

Gerardo Paron
    LEAVE HER TO HEAVEN
    LEAVE HER TO HEAVEN
    LEAVE HER TO HEAVEN

16. Claude North

Claude North Second Unit

Well, I'm certainly glad to see PEYTON PLACE and I WAS A MALE WAR BRIDE among the rumored candidates. And I am in complete agreement with those who suggested LIFEBOAT and LEAVE HER TO HEAVEN.

I doubt that the people at Fox would consider the titles on my personal Fox wish list to be "Classics," but here goes:

RETURN TO PEYTON PLACE (you can't have one without the other)
    THE BEST OF EVERYTHING
    VALLEY OF THE DOLLS
    PRETTY POISON
    MYRA BRECKINRIDGE (allegedly in the works)

And those two long-rumored releases:
    3 WOMEN
    BEYOND THE VALLEY OF THE DOLLS (apparently confirmed as a Criterion release, but who knows?)

17. Dave B Ferris

Dave B Ferris Screenwriter

Among the titles already mentioned, 'I Was A Male War Bride', 'Unfaithfully Yours', and 'Leave Her to
    Heaven' top my want-list. However, I also second the
    requests for more Lubitsch, more John Ford, and the works
    of Nicholas Ray and Samuel Fuller, as well.

18. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

Good call on the Sam Fuller films! I saw a beautiful print of "House Of Bamboo" at the American Cinematheque last March and I'm dying to replace my cruddy taped-off-FXM tape.

19. GerardoHP

GerardoHP Supporting Actor

Gerardo Paron
    PEYTON PLACE!!!
    RETURN TO PEYTON PLACE!!!
    THE BEST OF EVERYTHING!!!
    VALLEY OF THE DOLLS!!!

YES! NOW!

[​IMG]

20. Bill Burns

Bill Burns Supporting Actor

In various chats and on-line reports Fox has mentioned that a few of the above suggestions are on the way (The Grapes of Wrath was reportedly delayed due to the discovery of a superior source element, but should arrive in 2004; Heaven Can Wait was suggested for 2003, but that didn't pan out, so I'd anticipate it in 2004). A few other titles have also come up, among them:

Cavalcade (1933)
    The Lodger (1944) (one hopes Hitchcock's silent version and the 1932 sound remake by Maurice Elvey might be on the way from whomever holds original film elements/copyright on these titles, but I believe only the '44 film was mentioned as a Fox property)
    My Darling Clementine (1946)

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Leave Her to Heaven in 2004 either, and I Was a Male War Bride, I think, was recently semi-confirmed for early 2004 (which is to say, confirmed but not announced ... I've forgotten where, though).

In general, I'd strongly encourage Fox to release further silent and early sound titles (another thread recently pushed for the Charlie Chan films, which the studio has reportedly restored, and I'd second that -- a Fox Studio Classics "Serial" Box, perhaps? Heh) and to revisit their Rodgers and Hammerstein films as befits their classic stature (taken from the best surviving materials, large format for those films shot large format -- i.e. Oklahoma! and South Pacific in their Todd-AO incarnations, Carousel and The King and I from 55mm original materials, which were reduction printed for wide distribution as per the norm for CinemaScope 55 but should here be presented from their 55mm original negatives, if they survive, to best preserve the visual character of the films as shot -- and anamorphic, of course, for all wide films; a Shirley Jones commentary or running interview to compliment my copy of WB's The Courtship of Eddie's Father would be a supplement worth its weight in gold on Oklahoma! and Carousel ... and, let's see ... oh yes, both the Todd-AO {65mm} and CinemaScope {35mm} versions of Oklahoma! and South Pacific should be offered in one package for each film, each restored and newly mastered from original elements; as these would require a two disc set apiece, a specialty pricing point, say $24.99 or even $29.99 instead of $19.99, would be fine for these titles).

All in all, I'd say the Rodgers & Hammersteins as Fox Studio Classics special editions would stand as my highest priority. I hope Fox comes to do these definitive justice on DVD, as per my above suggestions. Nothing has yet been offered by Fox to suggest these are under consideration, though.