What's new

Your most irrelevant guilty pleasure thread (1 Viewer)

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
What is your silliest, most irrelevant to daily life, guilty pleasure?

Mine is I love those glue like stuff they use in magazines to stick samples and stuff to cards without damaging the sample or the magazine. You can simply rub them off with your thumb or finger and play with it like one of those superballs.. Fun pleasure for all! Weeeeeeeeee

:D
Jay

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Yep, stickum is great stuff.

* Going to the grocery store with coupons and the store card, trying to see if I can get 30% savings off the bill. Not much sweeter than getting a nice 64 oz. bottle of 100% juice that usually goes for $3.29 for 75c.

* Putting things in alphabetical order. For some reason, I find it soothing to come home from Best Buy on Tuesday with Alien Nation, insert it in its place, and watch the movies ripple on through the shelves. Or the quasi-monthly sorting and storing of new comics.

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
Getting to the mailbox before anyone
else in the house. I really like to get the mail.
Weird, i know, especially since it is never
much except bills and catalogs.

I also like free samples at the supermarket.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
* Going to the grocery store with coupons and the store card, trying to see if I can get 30% savings off the bill. Not much sweeter than getting a nice 64 oz. bottle of 100% juice that usually goes for $3.29 for 75c.
Ha! I know what you mean! Here in L.A. we have Ralphs who has their "Ralph's Club" prices on select items each week, which can mean that it's the same price as say Albertson's, or it's a really good deal. That and they double manufacturers' coupons. At the bottom of your receipt they total your "Ralph's Club" savings and your "Double Coupon Savings" and then add them up. My girlfriend and I try to make the "Total Savings" eclipse what we paid - yet we only buy what we want, not just what is "on sale" since I refuse to be a slave to coupons and let it totally dictate my purchases.

Once we walked out with seven bags full of stuff, Total Savings was $42, we paid $24. Yup, $3.50 a bag and we had some real good stuff there (sirloin steak and salmon filets). :)

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Collecting those coupons that said cash value of 1/20 cent. Get 20 of these coupons and see if your local supermarket will actual give you a penny for your efforts.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Well, my current "supermarket terrorism" plan involves the little CoinStar thing they have - dump your loose change in there and they give you a coupon for the amount minus 10% or something. I'll roll most of my coins and eventually deposit/use the rolls in the bank - except pennies. Those are going into a 64 oz container (currently about 1/3 full) to eventually be poured into the gullet of this machine. That week, I shall eat well.

Sadly, here in MA, they only accept returns on soda and beer bottles, even though the OJ bottle I'm using is the same material. The extra 5c from that would have been the icing on the cake. :)

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
Back when I was a coffee drinker, I used to love getting coffee in a clear glass (like a pedestal mug) and then pouring a little cream into the coffee and watching the white swirl into the brown, swirling...swirling...swirling...

(Oh the things one will admit to on a public forum! :))

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
opening a new cd or dvd cleanly - with no trace of sticky reside on the packaging. man i love it when that happens! :D

Masood Ali

Supporting Actor
Reading message boards. I don't reply as often as I read nowadays, but I just crave information about all sorts of things. If I read about something new and interesting on a message board, I'll go on a tangent and research on the topic for an hour or two. If only I was this interested in my schoolwork!

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.
Dave F-

I share that little pleasure. The "reverse cascade" I call it, as I get much the same effect from a freshly poured Guinness.

I also like to get as fresh a cup of coffee as possible at work. If the server is half empty and even a little old, I make a new pot and will actually replace the server with my mug so it gets it before it's done brewing. Not obsessive, but it is definitely a small pleasure once or twice a week.

Will Pomeroy

Stunt Coordinator
Reading message boards. I don't reply as often as I read nowadays, but I just crave information about all sorts of things. If I read about something new and interesting on a message board, I'll go on a tangent and research on the topic for an hour or two. If only I was this interested in my schoolwork!
I am the EXACT same way... Right now i'm on a tractor restoration binge. Stupid school.

Brad Porter

Screenwriter
Standing at the microwave...

5 seconds...

4 seconds...

3 seconds...

2 seconds...

1 second...

Yank the door open right before the annoying beeper goes off! If I time it right (or too early) I have one beep to hear when I press the clear button. If I wait too long, BEEEEP BEEEEEP BEEEEEEP!

EVERYONE JOIN MY CRUSADE! DEATH TO THE BEEP NOISE!

Brad (

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Brad,
watch out you don't get hit in the eye with a stray microwave dude! ;)

I love breaking up ice on the street or sidewalk with my foot while I wait for a bus or whatever, it's a blast, I love that shattering and cracking sound. :) Whenever I come across a fresh untouched plate of thin ice i'm like Homer Simpson "mmmm ice."

I also like stepping on pine cones, that intense crunching sound gets me, I like to pretend i'm King Kong stepping on a whole bunch of people and cruching them like bugs. :crazy: :D

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
I like it when I stay awake for 48 hours due to cramming for tests or playing too many games, and then I finally get to sleep for like 16 hours straight. When I first slip into bed and snuggle all cozy it's like I'm floating on a cloud on a warm night in paradise. Then I dream a thousand dreams and talk about them with friends.

I suppose a guilty pleasure is when I get the hiccups and I try to time it so I swallow a gulp of air at the same time I hiccup thus making a satisfying croaking noise.

I also like it when a body part falls asleep because I imagine myself that I was shot with a plasma gun or sleeping dart during battle and I like the sensation. Sometimes if I sleep funny, my entire arm will fall asleep so I can then pretend I'm recovering from a stroke. :thumbsdown:

Anders Englund

Second Unit
I really like writing COM DLL's... And I love using recursive functions. Somtimes I lie awake at night thinking about how to write a certain module. Then I fall asleep, forget half of it and get to do it all over again the next night. :)

I also like pulling my beard right under my lower lip so it makes a schlosh schlosh sound when it comes lose from my gum.

--Anders

Jim_F

Screenwriter
This thread is making me crave bubble wrap.

Brad,

I too have stood before the MW, waiting for the timer to read 00:01 so that I might only have endure a simple "BEEP" instead of "BEEP, BEEP, BEEEEEP!"

However, soon after I got Barney, my Senegal parrot, he started learning the various chirps of my phones and appliances. It wasn't long before he began answering that "BEEP" with "BEEP, BEEEEEP!".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks