Your most favorite decade overall? Mine was the 80's so far anyhow.

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Ryan Wishton, Sep 10, 2005.

1. Ryan Wishton

Ryan Wishton Screenwriter

Which is your most favorite decade overall? The one you enjoyed the most overall? Culture/Personal Life/etc., all included.

I would have to say mine was the 80's. I was a kid, had loads of fun, liked the movies (so kill me I was a kid), money was there and needed not be worried about by someone my age (something the 90's didnt allow), my extended family still saw each other and had group gatherings (once again, something the 90's didn't allow), Vacations, Pets, Nintendo, Friends, you name it. I just remember the 80's being an enjoyable time for me overall. Sometime around 89 things started to go south as far as money, hated new people/enemies (who I wish I literally never met), unwanted moves, etc. By 1990, the entire extended family was destroyed. Everyone moved away including me eventually. Yeah, I know it sounds like a daytime soap, but I am just being honest. Everything did seem to kind of go down the shitter at the same extact time. Not looking for any sympathy (seriously). Just giving background as to why I enjoyed the majority of the decade.

I would guess that is why I turned into an 80's afficionado. Though I liked stuff from every decade, including the 90's.

I must say I liked how women looked in the 70's much better than the 80's. I loved the long hair, etc.

I remember thinking many years ago "Where will I be by the year 2000." Freakin amazing how fast times goes by. Already years past that.

So, what was your favorite decade?

Hopefully, the future holds more excellent quality years & decades for everyone.

2. Bryan X

Bryan X Producer

My favorite decade, as far as music and movies, is definately the 80's. Nothing can touch it.

3. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Does it have to be while we're alive? [​IMG]

Personally I'd like to be alive in the 30s or 40s.

4. Chris Lockwood

Chris Lockwood Producer

Oh, the irony of people on a website saying the 80s were the greatest decade.

5. Bill Cowmeadow

Bill Cowmeadow Second Unit

I think, for most people, their favourite decade would be the decade of self discovery (late teens to early twenties). I prefer the the years 1975-1985. I had the time of my life and wouldn't change a thing.

Bill

6. george kaplan

george kaplan Executive Producer

The 80s were the WORST decade. Politically, musically, etc. Horrible.

In most ways, the sixties were the best, especially for music. There are great (and not so great) films in every decade, so that's a wash.

But man, the 80s sucked.

Question to admins: Was that long enough ago that a negative comment about Edwin Meese (which sums up what was most wrong about that decade) is historical, and not political?

7. Bob Graz

Bob Graz Supporting Actor

Economically the mid to late 90's were hard to beat. Overall, I'd pick the 70's. Still had great rock bands, gas was like 50 cents/gallon, so you could still buy gas for loose change and jobs for college grads in late 70's were plentiful.

8. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

I guess that make sense. I would have to agree with those saying the 80's, being the best. But as was quoted, those were my 'teen' years, so that was probably a big influence on my final decision.

9. Ryan Wishton

The mid-late 90's were very good economically for many.

That's the only way something such as Beanie Babies could have blown up the way they did for example. That was a mass epidemic. Something I don't think we will see again for many, many years.

What the hell were we thinking on that? It must have cost all a dime to produce one and people were paying upwards of $5000 for a purple elephant.

That's just an example.

Most are virtually worthless now. I do kind of feel bad for the many who bought them at insanely high inflated prices.

Scott, if you wanna be in the 30's/40's, I guess it doesn't matter. If that's what you like, then go for it. One negative. If you did live through them and remembered them, you would be upwards of 80 years old by now.

10. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

I would also say the 80's. I went to college between 86-90 and had a great time. I still can't believe it's been 15 years since college grad. [​IMG]

11. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Yea but they weren't called the greatest generation for nothing. [​IMG] Sure I would be 80+ by now but who cares? The 21st century turned out to be pretty boring. :p)

12. Ryan Wishton

I kind of hate to admit it, but I kinda agree with you Scott.

But, give it time. You never know. It's only been 5 years out of a 100.

13. MarkHastings

The 80's had Cabbage Patch Kids. I remember seeing news reports of people actaully mauling each other for them.

14. RobertR

RobertR Lead Actor

Considering that 95% of it hasn't been experienced yet, I'd say that's premature to say the least.

15. Matt Stieg

Matt Stieg Stunt Coordinator

Nothing can touch the '80's? Yeah I guess that's true...no other decade produced nearly as much crap in regards to movies and music as the '80's.

16. Bryan X

Bryan X Producer

Nice. [​IMG]

17. MarkHastings

The 80's were fun - period. The only way you can hate them is through some sort of bitterness.

18. John Kilduff

John Kilduff Screenwriter

Although only born in the decade, I would have to say that my favorite one is the 80s.

It's not just for pop-cultual reasons, either:

I lost my innocence in the 90s. When I entered elementary school near the end of 1989, I also started a journey of psychological and emotional damage that's with me to this day. I was made fun of because of my voice and mannerisms. I was called "retarded" and referred to by every single four-letter word in the book. I was in special education for all my life due to my high-functioning autism and emotional disabilities. I did a week-and-a-half in a youth prison because I broke down from being beaten up verbally and occasionally physically. My dad died in 1995 when I was 12 years old. I threatened suicide at least once before I got into middle school. I went to 3 different high schools in 4 years, finally graduating in a school several counties and one bridge away from my hometown.

I never really had much of a good life in the 90s. That's why the 80s were and are my favorite decade. I was young and innocent and my dad was still alive.

If you still want to make fun of me for preferring the 80s over any other decade, it wouldn't be anything new. Just please try and understand where I'm coming from.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

Sorry for being a downer.

19. Ryan Wishton

Wow, sorry guys.

I didn't mean for this to turn into a Love/Hate 80's debate thread.

Overall though, thank you for the posts. I enjoyed reading them.

P.S. If you want to mention a decade you disliked, I have no problems with that. But, at least mention the one you did like as well. It is sort of the entire point. Save the blatant thread farts for DVDTalk.com like I do. [​IMG]

20. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

Unless you were rich, no you wouldn't. If you were the average Joe, you would have had a very tough time.

I'll take the 50's. A lot of crummy stuff happened in the 50's, but I was a kid and totally unaware of any of it.