What's new

"Your Latest Trick" from Dire Straits (1 Viewer)

JordanS

Second Unit
Does anyone else think this song is just absolutely damn amazing?
I think the saxophone is one of my favorites of all time. I don't use the word "beautiful" too much, but I think it can apply here! I could go on and on about this song!
It is probably my favorite saxophone "song", then "Us And Them" from "The Dark Side of the Moon" would be second.
"Your Latest Trick" is definitely an amazing song, from an amazing CD.
Good day! :)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Jordan, no, you are not the only one. ;) I too feel "Your Latest Trick" is an incredible song. Brothers in Arms is an outstanding album from top to bottom, and the recording is absolutely first-rate. I keep a CD-R of the XRCD in my car CD changer, and even in the car, "Your Latest Trick" gives me goosebumps. By the way, if you do not have the XRCD of Brothers in Arms, get it. It is worth the money ($30-40).

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Great tune. :emoji_thumbsup:
Of Dire Straits, I have the remastered CDs of the self-titles, Communique, Making Movies, and Brothers In Arms. I would like to get the XRCD and I'm curious about the other two Dire Straits albums as well as Knopler's solo material.
Yes, Talk

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
Any new on any Dire Straits DVD-A or SACD? This would be a cool 5.1 I would imagine!

Wes

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Wes,

No news. Dire Straits is a Warner artist, so their works will likely come out on DVD-Audio, not SACD.

Mike,

So you were listening to Yes Talk, huh? Good album. That album reminds me of the summer of '94. I listened to that album constantly back then and saw Yes in concert that summer as well. Great album.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Keith, I don't particularly like Talk, actually. Some of it's decent, but I'm now just filling in gaps in my Yes collection because sometimes I'm a completist. It results in winners, like The Ladder which I enjoy more than I thought I could, and losers, like Union and Big Generator. But even the bad Yes is good, at least for comedy reasons.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Mike, I haven't begun filling in my Yes collection yet. At this point, I only have a few of their albums, a greatest hits compilation disc, and the box set. I still love 90125, and I want to get the Japanese HDCD version of this album. I'll fill in my Yes collection someday. For now, there's a slew of other stuff I want to buy.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Despite the two "Hits" on the Brothers In Arms album (Walk of Life & Money for Nothing), Your Latest Trick has always been my favorite song off of that album. Quite frankly, I think I like the "other" songs on that album more than the "hits" - which I like too, just that the rest of the album is amazing!

What's the XRCD version? (Pardon my ignorance) I have the original CD and the remastered one that was released a couple of years ago (I think) which sounds better, but the higher quality recording of that album I can find, the better! TIA.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Keith, filling the Yes is good, but the Miles Davis collection is much more important, so stick with that. :)

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
"Brothers In Arms" is just full of demostration-quality songs. Most people use "Money For Nothing" as demo, but I found "Your Latest Trick" to be more effective. The arrangement of the song is just, for lack of a better word, perfect. The mood the music creates matches perfectly with images created by the lyrics. Listening for the percussions cutting in on the right side of the soundstage midway through the song; it just floats there. This is the most played track on my "Brothers In Arms" CD.

Definitely check out MK's soundtrack to "Local Hero"....highly recommended.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks