What's new

Your Latest Acquisition (1 Viewer)

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
I picked up Francois Truffaut's brilliant 1966 movie Fahrenheit 451 the other day. Allow me to gush about it. It's a wonderful disc with a good transfer and plenty of extras, with a poster/picture slide show that features some of the soundtrack music(I wish more DVDs would do this). The one mark I would put against it is that it only comes in mono, which I'm sure the purists don't mind a bit, but I love Bernard Hermann's amazing score for this movie and for me to only hear it in mono is a minor crime. Aside from that though this disc is a loving tribute to a very underrated movie. A lot of people may shit on this title for god knows what, perhaps it takes liberties with the source material(hello, LOTR?) but I've come to truely appreciate this movie, all the way from the opening credits, which are read not seen and the first few scenes when the man with the apple takes a bite of it to the end when he's seen walking past the two main characters. This movie definitely deserves a few viewings to understand and appreciate what exactly is going on.

So what's your latest acquisition? And don't be afraid to gush or criticize it. As a matter of fact don't bother mentioning it unless you have a few words, positive or negative, to say about it. In other words don't just mention the title! :)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
The Court Jester was my last acquisition... back in December.

Wonderful movie, but the DVD is just OK.

The transfer is extremely well made, but the source is mediocre. It has horizontal lines during the first minute or so, speckles throughout, and is very soft. The color is perfect, though. It also has the aftermath of a sneeze in the top right corner that must have been photographed when the B&W separations were made.

The sound is perfect and the trailer is nice. I wish Paramount would properly restore the film from the negative or at least present the film as a VistaVision film should.

Still worth purchasing, despite the transfer's shortcomings.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
My latest DVD acquisition is another classic movie -- [bold]My Darling Clementine[/b] directed by one of the best directors, John Ford. I enjoyed watching the expanded pre-release version of this great movie.

Harold Wazzu

Supporting Actor
Finally picked up Three's Company season 1 the other day. Can't wait for the other seasons to follow I will definitely be getting them all.

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
My latest acquisitions are Cabin Fever and Lucky, both arriving in the mail on the same day. Cabin Fever is such an excellent movie, one of my new favorites of all time. I saw it five times theatrically, and when I got the disc, I watched the film again, then twice more with two of the commentaries. I listened to the director's commentary which is informative and fun, and then the girls' commentary because I love Cerina so much. It was great hearing them discuss the film, and Roth's narration was good. The DVD's picture is superb too, and the sound is just as good as it was theatrically. Very pleased with this DVD!

As for Lucky, I have yet to watch it, but I have been dying to see it for a good while now, as its right up my alley. Will post what I think after I watch it I guess.

I forgot I also picked up Cabin Fever, Once Upon a Time in Mexico and the Akira DTS version. I loved all these movies so I needed to buy them. My next purchase will either be Unforgiven 2-disc or Open Range. :)

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
Yesterday I added:
Highlander: Endgame - Not a great movie, but I found it entertaining and the price was right.
The Abominable Dr.Phibes - I picked up the sequel last week and figured I shouls dtart here, I haven't seen it yet.
Eko Eko Azarak: Wizard of Darkness - I'd never heard of it, but I love the weird flicks and Asian cinema so I bought it blind.

And before that I ordered Fox's Asian line 2nd wave: Heart of Dragon, My Lucky Stars, Eastern Condors, Duel to the Death, and In the Line of Duty 4. All excellent action flicks.

Jack Shappa

Second Unit
I just got a few for christmas...

Alien Quadrilogy (Opened, but haven't watched any of it yet)

Pirates of the Car. (Wife's favorite. Wonder why? 3 viewings so far)

Citizen Kane (Haven't watched, nor have I ever seen it period... I know, I know)

Abyss Special Edition (Am returning this as it says "5.1 Dolby" yet the DVD only plays Dolby 2.0!!! The DC is awesome)

The Adventures of Baron Munchausen (Haven't even opened yet)

Guess I better get busy :)

- Jack

Tim_Prasuhn

Stunt Coordinator
Just got these two things.

Babylon 5 Season 4- Looks as good as it can without reformatting the CGI shots. Season 4 was a little squished, plotwise (fans know why), but it packs the 1-2-3 punch of ending the shadow war, pulling Mimbar out of civil war, and defeating President Clarke and a hostile Earth.
Television doesn't get much better than this. Hell, any kind of moving image based entertainment doesn't get much better.

Wrong Men and Notorious Women - Hitchcock Set from Criterion. Its Criterion, what can I say. They all look and sound as good as source materials allow, and from what I can tell, the special features are extensive (havent gotton into them yet). And the movies are very good, too.

Robert_eb

Supporting Actor

I believe it defaults to 2.0 so you need to go to the audio options and change it to 5.1 manualy

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The Wind and The Lion and Dr. Jekyll and Mr Hyde arrived yesterday, only 48 hours ahead of the slightly disappointing Open Range

---
So many films, so little time...

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
West Wing Season 1 last week. It's a blind buy (based on my enjoyment of Aaron Sorkin's other TV series Sports Night). So far, I've only watched the first episode, and enjoyed it. I look forward to watching the rest of the set.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
My most recent purchase was Freddy Vs. Jason, yesterday and it was a blind buy not only for this particular film, but it was my introduction to both characters.
I've got to say while it is obviously no Citizen Kane I wasn't expecting it to be either, and I really enjoyed the movie.

Jonathan Dagmar

Supporting Actor

One of my pet peeves. South Park: BLU does thos too. Trouble is that Pro Logic 2 kicks in and does such a good job I often don't notice I am listening to the wrong track until half way through the movie.

Alas.

My latest aquisition is Miramax Pulp Fiction Collectors Edition. Fresh from Amazon.com after returning the horrendously butchered, but on the surface similar, Aliiance Atlantis version.

Also recently picked up Willy Wonka, Wizard of Oz, Little Shop of Horrors, and Indiana Jones.

doug zdanivsky

Supporting Actor
Real Name
doug zdanivsky
The Thing : SE

Haven't seen it in so long.. Couldn't find it in any video stores. It has been copied many times on other shows (X-files, Red Dwarf, etc). Wanted to see the original again.

Shows it's age a little, but still rocks.

Matthew_Brown

Stunt Coordinator
Azumi : 2 Disc LE. A fun bit of OTT slice n' dice action from the director of Versus and The Marx Brothers classic Duck Soup. Actually that came in a box with Animal Crackers, Monkey Business and Horse Feathers. But lets be honest, I bought it for Duck Soup.

It's still such a great film.

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
Doug,
Which Thing? Carpenter's remake? or Hawk's Thing?
Love both, but Carpenter's wasn't an original, as great as it is....
:D :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks