Your impressions, thoughts, and comments about the Cubs/Rockies game in HDTV tonight

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeremy M, Aug 7, 2001.

1. Jeremy M

Jeremy M Agent

I don't expect 'in-game updates' or anything like that as I will probably be too busy watching the 'boring' old DirecTV digital non-ATSC telecast on WGN (stuck at home w/o access to the HDTV telecast, won't have HDTV and STB for another couple of months [​IMG] ).
    Call me sadistic, but I want to know what I missed (missing). Tell me how great the ivy looked, how do the pretty girls in the stands look in HD, can you actually see individual blades of grass?, (I'm hoping this happens tonight, but...) just how good does a Sammy Sosa HR blast look in 1080i?, what's the crowd and Wrigley Field atmosphere sound like in Dolby Surround, is it like being in the stands surrounded by fans?, and etc.
    Thanks to all those in advance who share their comments and reviews of tonight Cubs/Rockies game on the HDTV side of the telecast.

2. Marque D

Marque D Stunt Coordinator

Tryt and go to your local Sears. They should be showing it. Most Sears show the Dish Network Demo Loop on their HDTV's and that is the channel that will be showing the game.

3. Frank

Frank Stunt Coordinator

I'm enjoying the game in HDTV but I think the cameras are zoomed in way too much considering it's in HDTV.
    I would rather see more players and more of the action then acne on the players face. [​IMG]
    Frank

4. Bill McKee

Bill McKee Auditioning

I think the picture is awesome. Just makes me think how great it would be to have more sports in HD format - World Series, Allstar, NFL, ... I could go on and on. Gee, if Mitsubishi, Toshiba, RCA, Hitachi, etc., want to sell millions more HDTV sets - they should zoom in more on the sports market and sponser more events. Once the fans see their teams in HD, they'll buy - it's a given. And DirecTV -they're so big on sports, an HD sports channel is bound to be a success.
    But back to the game - maybe I'm just thrilled to see baseball in HD, but I think the picture is great.

5. William Ward

William Ward Supporting Actor

It definately is an improvement over the regular WGN broadcast. I flipped back and forth, WOW!! I didn't get to check the dolby surround but I'd figure it to be about as good as regular stereo. Can't wait for CBS College Football in HDTV.
    ------------------
    William
    Go Bucs!!
    MyDVDs

6. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    It's looking good.
    - Steve
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    Got Remo?

7. Alan Wood

Alan Wood Auditioning

The difference is like night and day. Being a braves fan, I had to check out the WTBS game (channel 230) on Dish. The Braves won, but TBS lost!!! Hats off to WGN and their exellent HD broadcast, and thanks Dish Network. Please, give us more.
    Regards,
    Chip
    ------------------

8. Dan P

Dan P Auditioning

Very enthusiastic thumbs up on the telecast. What was icing on the cake was the ump throwing out the "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" singer and the wild ending at the end. I was hoping the game would go extra innings so I could see more....there was definitely that 'being there' feeling about the telecast quality. Minor gripes....camera shaking. I suppose the cameras were used normally but the high def quality of the picture revealed bluring caused by the camera movement that wouldn't be noticed on a SD telecast. Also the Cubs uniforms appeared a bit contrasty....the white seeming to be too white at times. I suppose this simply reveals the limits of a mechanical lens relative to the human eye. In any case, very minor gripes. I'd like to see alot more of this but haven't heard of any plans.

9. Refugio Morales

Refugio Morales Auditioning

WOW! What a picture! In answer to the original post questions, the ivy looked great (every leaf was clearly visible), there were a lot of great looking girls in the stands and when the camera was on the pitcher, you could make out the blades of grass. I even thought I saw a bumble bee during the game but I could be wrong. I have an FPTV with an 8' wide screen and the picture looked awesome. I can't wait for our local stations to start the HD feeds!
    Oh, I forgot to mention that I also noticed the high contrast on the Cubs' uniforms and the camera shake was a bit of a distraction. I think the guys behind the camera were set out to broadcast as many blemishes on the players faces as possible.
    [Edited last by Refugio Morales on August 07, 2001 at 11:36 PM]

10. Mike I

Mike I Supporting Actor

What an outstanding presentation of HDTV..Thank you WGN, Dishnetwork and Direct tv.....I sent an email to dish network and WGN this morning letting them know how much I appreciate their foward thinking in providing HD content....
    ------------------
    [Edited last by Mike I on August 08, 2001 at 06:36 AM]

11. Frank

Frank Stunt Coordinator

Three major advantages of sports in HDTV vs low resolution TV are:
    1. Significently higher resolution
    2. Wider aspect ratio
    3. The ability to see much more of the action because of 1 and 2.
    The director seemed to be operating under the impression that the HDTV viewers are sitting far away from their display. Otherwise, why is the picture zoomed in so much?
    Frank

12. PerryD

PerryD Supporting Actor

I had a bunch of friends over the watch the broadcast at my place. What a game it turned out to be! I thought the focus was a bit soft, but it could have been the fact that the cameras are shooting from 400 feet away in the 90 degree heat, picking up some haze. It seemed to get sharper later into the night.
    What was the email address they showed to tell how we enjoyed the game? It would be great if they could get a overwhelming response from us.

13. Michael Ballack

Michael Ballack Second Unit

I was going to over to a bar last night that had the game on a 110' screen via a Runcco Projector. But I didn't want to torture myself since I can't afford an HDTV now. I am a huge basketball fan and the day that Basketball is on HDTV is the day that I'll HAVE to get an HDTV. I can't believe that WGN had an actual HDTV baseball game on. Chicago has been way slower with HDTV or any other new technology for that matter than NY and LA has been. I'm going to go leave now and dream about having an HDTV with 16X9 to watch the new Phantom Menace DVD with. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Michael's DVD's

14. Refugio Morales

Refugio Morales Auditioning

I got the email from a friend here at work. I'll be sending them my thanks as well.
    mailto:[email protected] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Reef Morales

15. Dick Doll

Dick Doll Auditioning

Reading all these responses has left me really depressed and angry. Dish broadcast this game only from the 61.5 satellite which left most of us West Coasters in the dark.
    Being a Cubs/Wrigley Field fan I was really looking forward to watching the game.
    I have no idea of what prevented them from "mirroring" the broadcast on 148.
    At any rate I have knocked off a letter to Dish venting my feelings. I'm really happy for those who could watch the game in HDTV. From what I've read: "What a game."
    Dick
    ------------------

16. Scott Stieglitz

Scott Stieglitz Auditioning

I would also like to thank and congratulate WGN for this superb first effort into the realm of HD broadcating. Although I had some of the same issues that others had (low audio levels, occasional video drop-outs, white spot in bottom center of picture, camera wobbling, etc.), I was still amazed by my first live HD sports event. HD is the only way to watch sports. Way to go WGN. I hope we get to see more sports coverage in HD.

17. James FT

James FT Stunt Coordinator

Bell expressvu carried the show in Canada.They shoot themselves in the foot because it was not listed on the program guide or their web site.It was only through this group and members that I was aware of the telecast. I decided to check the time on the HDTV channel on expressvu and it was there.
    Shame on you expressvu.
    The broadcast was great fantastic no drop outs the way HD should be. Hats off to wgn I did e mail them. The only questionable item was that the sound was in Dolby digital not Dolby digital 5.1. I have noticed this on American broadcast before especially WBZ CBS Boston.
    Bell expressvu claims that the lack of the 5.1 sound originates with the transmitting station.