I'll follow Matt's example.

Color: Giant

Black and White: Notorious or Strangers on a Train

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Well, if we're talking Holy Grail (code for "unobtainable"), I'll go with the 1966 Batman TV series. Would look great on Blu-Ray. (I know the '66 movie is out; that looks good too!)

Oliver_A

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Oliver Achten
- Original Star Wars, non-horrific special editions

- Barry Lyndon

- Lawrence of Arabia

- Looney Tunes

- E.T. original version

- Indiana Jones TRILOGY

Martin Teller

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Teller
If I was forced to pick just one, I'd have to cheat a little: The Complete Works of Satyajit Ray, with heaps of bonus features.

Okay, it doesn't have to be complete, but at the very least I require:

Pather Panchali

Aparajito

The World of Apu

Charulata

Mahanagar

Devi

Jana Aranya

Seemabaddha

Pratidwandi

To be honest, I treat every movie I would want to own as a "holy grail", so there are hundreds.

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by FoxyMulder

Suspiria ( Argento again - UK soundtrack mixed with a proper restored image that doesn't suffer contrast issues would be nice )

Ditto on this one. The U.K. Blu-ray has an almost perfect soundtrack (oddly ONE line of dialogue has been dropped) but like the Italian Blu-ray suffers from a frequently horribly blown-out picture, which I suspect to be the result of an incorrect color gamut conversion somewhere along the line.

I'll add Michael Cimino's HEAVEN'S GATE as my Blu-ray Holy Grail release, preferably a full-blown special edition with both cuts remastered in HD and the terrific FINAL CUT documentary (currently only viewable on youtube) included as well.

Vincent

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
"I'd like in no particular order.

Raiders Of The Lost Ark. ( Sequels too )

Lawrence Of Arabia.

The Big Country.

Night Of The Demon.

Singin' In The Rain.

From Beyond.

Meet Me In St. Louis.

The Great Escape.

Jaws.

E.T. ( Original with guns edition please )

Munich.

Jurassic Park and Jurassic Park 3 ( you can keep number 2 The Lost World as i think it's crap )

On Her Majesty's Secret Service

You Only Live Twice

Goldeneye

Tomorrow Never Dies

The Living Daylights

Star Trek: The Motion Picture ( Robert Wise restored edition )

The Tall Men

Star Wars Episode 1 -6 ( Beef up the sound on episode 2 and 3 - Knowing Lucas and the sound mixers he has working for him they willl do the opposite and tame the great bassy sound of episode 1 )

The Howling

Ryans Daughter

Vera Cruz

The Blob ( 80's version )

Hard Boiled ( If they do a better job than they did for Woo's "upconverted looking" The Killer )

High Plains Drifter

Firefox ( uncut please )

Apocalypse Now ( original and hey 2.35:1 - it won't happen while Storaro is alive but i can dream )

Legend ( European cut )

Phenomena ( Argento )

Suspiria ( Argento again - UK soundtrack mixed with a proper restored image that doesn't suffer contrast issues would be nice )

Deep Red ( Argento yet again )

Opera ( Yes Argento agaaaaaaain )

Conan The Barbarian ( hopefully with fixed sound or a mono option )

True Lies

Pearl Harbor - Directors Cut

Titanic

Dances With Wolves ( 4 hour cut )

Zombi 2 aka Zombie Flesh Eaters

Once Upon A Time In America

Once Upon A Time In The West

Marathon Man

I probably forgot about a few that i really like but this list will do for now."

As Willy Wonka says[COLOR= #8b4513] - "Everyone has one, and one is enough for everyone"[/COLOR]

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Excalibur

Outland

Marx Brothers Paramount Pictures (Cocoanuts, Horse Feathers, Animal Crackers Duck Soup)

Spartacus (Criterion Version)

Indiana Jones Trilogy

Original Star Wars Trilogy in original form

Universal Monster Collections restored from new masters

White Zombie (1932)

Nosferatu (Original)

Once Upon A Time In The West

Lawrence Of Arabia

Bridge On The River Kawi

Bogart & Bacall Collection all 4 films

My Fair Lady

Remaining Bond Titles

The Great Escape

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
A James Dean set with East of Eden, Giant, Rebel without a Cause

In The Mood for Love, 2046

previously mentioned: Out of Sight

Any Hitchcock

Any Almodovar

The Swimmer

Sunset Boulevard

Lady & the Tramp

Hud

Purple Noon

Network: 35th Aniversary Special Edition

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Bryan^H

Similar threads may exist, I didn't feel like searching.

The one film you want most on Blu-Ray. Your 'Holy Grail' so to speak.

Love With The Proper Stranger

although it would also be a great day when there is finally a watchable, high quality version of The Rocketeer and Outland to spin in my HT.

LCD22

Screenwriter
The Freshman (1990) - I had this on my DVR when it was broadcast on Universal HD and I couldn't get over how good it looked. Why has this not been scheduled for a BD release? Hopefully Sony will surprise me and include the theatrical trailer and some extras while there at it; since this never got the special edition treatment on DVD.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
Given the amazing number of catalog BD'S released over the past few years, I wanted to bump this old thread.

As of today, if pressed to name my remaining Grail titles on Blu-ray I'd say:

Errol Flynn (Captain Blood, The Sea Hawk, Desperate Journey, et al)
Around the World in 80 Days
The Greatest Show on Earth
The Alamo
Ryan's Daughter

And a better transfer re-release of Where Eagles Dare.

SAhmed

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Shakeel
Good list Alex!

Of the top of my head, I would add the likes of "Hud", "Night Of The Iguana", "Charlie Chan movies", "Mean Guns".

Two others I wanted got crossed of my list yesterday ( "Hell In The Pacific" and "1492 Conquest Of Paradise" )

Regards,

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
Slightly Scarlet

High Society

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty

Three Little Words

Soldier of Fortune

The Narrow Margin

Michael Shayne (Nolan)

Has Anybody Seen My Gal

The Princess and the Pirate

In Harm's Way

Lisbon

My Favorite Blonde

Artists and Models

The Court Jester

The Belle of New York

Touchez pas au grisbi

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
I can't believe I started this thread. I'm not the guy hung up on my favorites anymore(or grails)-if they get released, fine. If not who cares?- I don't know how many times I put in requests to Twilight Time, or Kino for certain titles. It got embarrassing(pathetic may be the right word:D)so I quit.

I find "discovering" films I have never seen(especially from the 50's, and 60's) is far more enjoyable. I have found many new favorites this way.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Looking over this thread, I'm amazed at how many things on the wish lists from seven years ago have since been released - it seems like the majority of requested titles are now available on BD, which is fantastic. I suspect that for the titles not released, at least some of those will now have digital HD copies available to rent or purchase digitally, so even if discs don't exist for all titles, they're still viewable in HD in one way or the other.

Though I didn't chime in the first time around, I probably would have picked Stanley Kubrick's "Fear and Desire" as my pick - that was his one film which had never received a commercial home video release in any format. Well, thanks to Kino, it's out now. So I guess my biggest remaining holy grail would probably be to get a new master of "2001: A Space Odyssey", with the scenes deleted after the premiere present as a bonus feature. I tend to think that will never happen - but then again. I never expected "Fear and Desire" to come out, so you never know when you might be surprised. It's my all-time favorite movie so any chance to see even a moment of footage that's new to me would be amazing.

"Holy Grail" also has become a little less holy to me, similar to what Bryan was saying above. If it's just a matter of wanting a better quality presentation of a movie I already have, particularly when the movie already has a decent or good quality DVD, I'm not as passionate about that as I once was. ("2001" above is an exception.) If it's something that's never had a DVD at all, or never been released in its original format (like OAR or 3D) then I'm more interested. And since Paramount did such a poor job with the Star Trek movie discs, I'd love to see them try again. But I'm not expecting them to, and I'm not gonna lose sleep over it.

My second favorite movie is "Wonder Boys" - a fantastic comedy-drama from director Curtis Hanson and starring Michael Douglas, Robert Downey Jr, Tobey Maguire, Katie Holmes, and Frances McDormand - all people who have gone in to star or appear in major superhero/summer blockbuster franchises, and the screenplay was by Steve Kloves, who wrote all but one of the Harry Potter movies. You'd think that someone could manage to sell a movie starring Iron Man, Ant-Man, Spider-Man and Batman's girlfriend written by Harry Potter. But the movie was a flop when it first came out (Paramount tried releasing it twice in the same year and still didn't get any traction, though their advertising campaign was terrible both times). It's an amazing movie with brilliant performances, a witty script, great direction, and a wonderful selection of contemporary music. But clearly, this far into the game, no one has any interest in putting it out on BD. I'd buy it in a heartbeat. I'll also find a way to keep on living with my DVD version, or with the HD version available digitally. A few years ago, I'd probably be all up in arms over that, but to what end? No amount of me asking for it will make the studio release it, so why waste the energy only to be disappointed? I've tried to stir up group interest before, it never really goes anywhere, so I'll just accept that I'm in a minority for that film and that the bean counters were probably right not to take on the expense of doing a release that will probably lose money.

So for me, at this point, "Holy Grail" has gone from being all all caps thing to a lowercase "holy grail" - and these days, I'm just happy for the chance to see any movie that previously had never been on DVD, or never had an OAR release. That gets me more excited than any one particular title.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
As of today, if pressed to name my remaining Grail titles on Blu-ray I'd say:

Errol Flynn (Captain Blood, The Sea Hawk, Desperate Journey, et al)
The Greatest Show on Earth
The Alamo
Ryan's Daughter
And a better transfer re-release of Where Eagles Dare.

Yup, I'd be happy with that lot, & Where Eagles Dare really does need a re-do. Looking at the lists, it's good to so that most of them have been released. I think if you really love films it's nigh impossible to pick just one, I couldn't - maybe narrow down the search: b/w forties, The Sea Hawk (1940, just made it), epic, Helen Of Troy, swashbuckler, Scaramouche, British fifties b/w WW2 POW film, Danger Within. It is fun to see what great stuff is being released month on month (maybe I should get out more).

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Wow, has it really been 7 years since this thread? Yikes.

My current "holy grails" would be the same as many of you: The theatrical versions of the original Star Wars trilogy, and the Director's Cut of Star Trek: The Motion Picture (along with BDs of the other films in the ST series, except Wrath of Khan, which has a nice director's cut on BD last year).

My other main holy grail remains Deep Space Nine on blu-ray.

I'm also still waiting on two films that were never even released on DVD: No Nukes and Let It Be.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks