What's new

Your gaming gripes? (1 Viewer)

Dave E H

Supporting Actor
Similar to what Andre F said. I hate dark games.
Make that three votes for this. I hate when you have to squint to see something.

I also hate useless items in games. For instance, in Counter-Strike, nightvision goggles are a waste. Could be cool, but I've never even seen a need for them. Latest patch makes this a bit more useful though.

Yoshi Sugawara

Stunt Coordinator
Interesting replies!

How about RPGs that repeatedly insist on you being the UPS delivery guy. "Oh, bring me this relic that's thousands of miles away and I'll give you this special potion."

Or, "Oh, you need that special item? The only one left happens to be in a cave not far from here where all these terrible monsters lie, and it happens to be at the waaayy end of the cave..."

James_A

Stunt Coordinator
Current peeve is games that have one or two interesting or innovative features, and then proceed to be the same thing over, and over, and over, and over, and over, and etc....
Oh yeah, and what about fighting games? I set the difficulty to normal in DOA3, and win the very first time I play the game? WTF? I havn't got a clue about the combo's and moves, I don't know what buttons do what, and I still beat the boss on one continue? Huh? It's not like I have magic fingers to win this, but Easy should be easier than the normal mode, and super difficult should be damn near impossible.
Finally, what's pissing me off the most, is my inability to adapt to certain controller configerations. Now this isn't a fault of game designers per say, but I can't get used to certain games that require controller use in a certain way. I have problems with both Halo, and Jet Set Radio in this reguard (plus other games, but I wanted to play these ones, so I keep trying). I've decied to never get Gunvalkerie because of this :).
Jim

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I don't really have any gripes really, you guys have mentioned them all already. :)
This is some advice to those that have said they hate dark games, and trust me guy's THIS MAKES ALL THE DIFFERENCE IN THE WORLD!
If you have more than one VIDEO channel on you monitor, and have the AVIA calibration dvd, calibrate one of your VIDEO channels using your PS2's dvd drive. The PS2 is designed in such a way that if you calibrate using it's dvd drive, the adjustments to your monitor will also apply to your games as well as your dvd's.
I have done this, and every one of my games is dead on perfect! Then, after i'm done playing, I simply switch my monitor back to it's other VIDEO channel that I have designated, and calibrated, for nomal dvd veiwing. It helps to label your channels too. Like this...
VIDEO 1 DVD
VIDEO 2 GAME
etc...
I highly recommend you do this, it works great.

Paul Richardson

Second Unit
I find it funny that some people are complaining that RPGs are too linear, and others are saying they aren't linear enough!
Personally, I prefer non-linear RPGS (generally found on the PC). However, I like the main path to be clear so you are aware when you are just on a side quest as opposed to something that will push the story forward. Baldur's Gate does a good job of this.
I hate it when RPGs are missing a quest list/journal and automap. I'm also getting tired of all the "you are the chosen one with the mysterious past" storylines.

Aaron Copeland

Second Unit
Real Name
Aaron
Interesting thread! You guys have listed most of my gripes already, but I have another relating to RPGs.
I hate when you have to start out and gain experience by killing crows, spiders, rabbits, squirrels and the like because that is all you can kill. MUDS used to be very, very, bad about this. I've seen it less so in actual video games, but you still see it every now and then. I've heard that Morrowind starts out in a similar fashion. Anyway, it's just dumb. It's especially dumb when you are actually killed by one of these creatures :angry:
Aaron

Jason Borchers

Second Unit
I hate random battles. Found in RPGs. They suck suck suck!
I second that. I never finished Skies of Arcadia or Golden Sun because of them. I will never play another game with random battles.

Another thing I hate: limited lives or continues. I can have infinite continues in the arcade (as long as I don't run out of quarters), but when I pay $50 to own a game, I can only continue three times? Lame. I know some people like the "challenge" of this, but it's merely frustrating to me.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
When you have an old game and the internal battery dies, losing all saved info.

When a really long RPG has multiple endings.

Jake Gove

Second Unit
This is more of an XBOX only gripe. The XBOX has a hard drive. Why don't XBOX games let you "save anywhere" like PC games do instead of stupid save points?

Wayne Murphy

Stunt Coordinator
Xbox gripe?

I just finished Munches O, last night and you can save at any point along the way. I made one mistake in not saving early in the game and when my character got stuck in a wall, (don't you just hate when that happens?), I saved thinking I'd come back at an earlier spot...nope still caught in the wall!!!

I really hate glitches where you get yourself stuck and can't move out of there. Did it on the old Nintendo on a lot of games and now on Munches O.

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
I like the random battles in RPG's. The first Final Fantasy game for the original NES was the best game EVER. It was hard has hell, and I actually felt like I accomplished something when it was over.

The best games to me are the ones where I actually care about what happens. This hasn't happened for many years. Games that make me feel like I'm a part of whats happening are my favorites.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Here's a GTA3 specific one that I just ran into. I can have all the cops in the city after me, and be running around on foot killing them as I please, and just taking damage when I get shot. The second I get into a car though, all they have to do is walk up and point a gun at me and I'm busted? What's up with that? (I found this out by grabbing an FBI car that wasn't as empty as I thought).

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
I hate the fact that most all Sports games always seem to suck up the entire space of a $15-$20 memory card. This has always given me the red-ass, and now I have "Allstar Baseball 2003" for GameCube and Nintendo has not yet even released the card that's big enough for it. :angry:

Duane Robinson

Second Unit
General gripes:
having to spend $50 on a game. DVDs of movies cost roughly $20 and movies cost millions more to make than a game.

The fact that a lot of games nowadays are comprised of the same old crap, just with prettier textures.

"True" gamers who whine about what people who spent their own hard earned money do with the game they bought.

PS2 Gripes:
Crap textures
A lot of the good games are short as hell
Deceiving commercials that show mostly cutscenes instead of actual gameplay footage.

Xbox Gripes:
Not enough support for the soundtrack feature in most games
Lack of a save anywhere feature in most games
Not enough fighting games

Gamecube Gripes:
No Donkey Kong Country (Snes incarnation not the N64 version)
No Killer Instinct
Not enough fighting games
Not enough racing games

Ryan Peter

Screenwriter
I hate the fact that most all Sports games always seem to suck up the entire space of a $15-$20 memory card. This has always given me the red-ass, and now I have "Allstar Baseball 2003" for GameCube and Nintendo has not yet even released the card that's big enough for it.
Sounds like a guy who's ready for the Xbox, eh? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks