1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Your first Blu-ray Purchase?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Mr. Jingles, Jun 29, 2014.

1. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    It was probably The Matrix. But I'm not sure. I need to check my collection :)

2. Billy Batson

Billy Batson Producer

Alan
    How The West Was Won, to get the Smilebox version. I didn't have a Blu-ray player at that time.

ahollis likes this.
  3. Cine_Capsulas

Cine_Capsulas Second Unit

Patrick
    It was The Happening, back in 2008.

4. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    I sold wholesale then in '06...My first 20 HD titles were given to me, before I ever bought one. not exactly 10. and 10...don't remember which movies.First player bought was the lowest wholesale cost Pioneer. LG, Sharp etc all had higher wholesale.Sold it when profile 2 emerged and bought a LG BD390(lowest wholesale of the "app enabled").Don't remember the first BD title I actually bought.Our office had promo copies galore of Warner, Disney, Sony and Universal. We gave them out like candy.(When HD-DVD lost, we set up a table and put every movie on it we had with, "please, take one...or two....". When I left in 2010, we still had unopened boxes of Riddick and Transformers. Each box contained 150)

5. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Halloween (which was also my first purchase on laserdisc and DVD) and Lost: Season Three. I don't remember when but it was immediately after the format war ended (early 2008?).

6. Cinescott

Cinescott Supporting Actor

Scott
    Couldn't agree more. CE3K's Blu-ray is the crown jewel in my collection, due to the quality of the transfer, extras, and seamless branching, as well as the fact that I have a Vilmos Zsigmond signed edition.

7. Dr Griffin

Dr Griffin Cinematographer

Zxpndk
    The Terminator and Training Day, I bought both right before Christmas 2006. I, too, actually bought them before I got my first Blu-ray player (Sony BDP-S1) the following month. I gambled on Blu-ray, while a friend gambled on HD-DVD. I kept telling him, Blu-ray had higher capacity and would win the format war. I eventually gave that first Terminator disc to my nephew when I upgraded to the remaster. I still have Training Day. I also bought the LG BD-390, and thought it had a better picture than my Sony. The Sony retired to its box when I got an Oppo in 2012. They were still releasing firmware for the Sony BDP-S1 when I retired it in 2012.

8. Kyrsten Brad

Kyrsten Brad Cinematographer

Brad
    First Blu-Ray ever for me: "Grease".Bought it I believe right before my first Blu-Ray player. Christmas 2009, Sony BDP-S360. It's still in action.I do confess to first pulling the trigger for HD-DVD on Christmas. 2007. This was because Paramount was on the Soon-2B abandoned HD-DVD bandwagon and I was looking to get Star Trek TOS on hi-def. That died a quick death.

9. Osato

Osato Producer

My first blu ray purchase was during the Amazon sale (in November of 2008) on the Bond films on blu ray just as Quantum of Solace was hitting theaters..

For Your Eyes Only, Die Another Day, Thunderball, Dr. No, From Russia With Love and Live and Let Die.

I ordered a blu ray player a few days after that and also received 4 non Bond titles with that purchase.

Crazy.

10. DowneastBuffAlum

DowneastBuffAlum Auditioning

Scott
    I think it was Bullitt.

11. David Norman

David Norman Producer

June 16 2007 -- I bought a Panasonic player which included 5 movies in the bundleCrash, Fantastic 4, Pirates of the Caribbean 1 and 2, The Transporter.The first discs I purchased a week later would have been The Terminator and Bridge to Terabithia.

12. Rodney

Rodney Screenwriter
    Supporter

My first Blu-ray purchases were pre-orders on April 26, 2007 for two John Wayne films:

[*]Rio Bravo
    [*]The Cowboys
    [/list]

I 100% agree with Ron's statement on How the West Was Won and Close Encounters of the Third Kind. I wish the studios would release more Blu-rays that would take advantage of the capabilities of the format.

13. ScottHM

ScottHM Supporting Actor

Scott
    The Adventures of Robin Hood, on 4/20/2010.

---------------

14. larryKR

larryKR Stunt Coordinator

I can't remember my first BD title as I bought about 20 to 30 titles before I had a player. This would have been late 2007. I also bought about 12 to 15 HD DVD titles, again no player. I then ordered a Samsung dual format player which I later cancelled before taking delivery after reading about numerous problems with this player on the internet. I eventually purchased a Panasonic DMP-BD30 player in January 2008, and a very cheap Toshiba player for HD DVD.

15. Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Producer

Same answer here: Sleeping Beauty. Got it the day of release but didn't pick up a bluray player for several more months, I think, on Black Friday of that year.For the record, my first DVD purchase was the original Austin Powers along with two Disney cartoons, I think, The Jungle Book and Hercules??Going way, WAY back my first VHS purchase EVER was yet another Disney. It was one of those Gold Treasures releases with Silly Symphonies included. I was highly impressed. All of my earliest vhs purchases were Disneys and MGM titles.

16. Jari K

Jari K Producer

First BD was probably "Ultraviolet" in 2006 since I had to get something to watch. I was testing the first BD player from (I believe) Panasonic at that time, wrote some article.

17. AnthonyClarke

AnthonyClarke Cinematographer

Anthony
    So hard to remember!
    But I know that Gigi and The Fifth Element were right up at the front of the queue.
    And of course I was champing at the bit for releases of The Wizard of Oz and Adventures of Robin Hood!

18. JustinFow

JustinFow Auditioning

Justin Fowler
    My first purchase was Superbad, followed by AvP:Requiem. First player, the fat boy 80 gb ps3, which still works. I made sure to buy one after I heard they were getting rid of the sacd capability.

19. Travis87

Travis87 Stunt Coordinator

Travis
    I think my first blu-ray purchase was the Ray Harryahusen Collection. Pretty good pick looking back.

20 MIllion Miles to Earth
    Earth vs. the Flying Saucer
    It Came From Beneath the Sea
    7th Voyage of Sinbad

20. John Maher_289910

John Maher_289910 Supporting Actor

John Maher
    THE SOUND OF MUSIC the first. It was purchased on Blu-ray disc, before I had my player. So was HOW THE WEST WAS WON. I did the same thing with 3D. I had a half decent library of films, before I owned a 3D player and television.