What's new

Your favourite DVD reviewers? (1 Viewer)

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
My top three:
Glenn Erickson over at DVD Savant - his reviews have a eagerness and warmth about the films that never spills in Harry Knowles-type fanboy gushing.
Alexandra DuPont at DVD Journal always entertains with wit and panache, with extended but fascinating reviews.
Finally, Michael Brooke at UK sites DVD Times and Link Removed (though with plenty of R1 reviews at both sites) often seems to hit the nail on the head, with reasoned, eloquent and humourous reviews.
There are others that almost got in, like Patrick Naugle at DVD Verdict and Jeff Ulmer and Debi Lee Mandel at Digitally Obsessed, but the three above, for me, are always required reading every time.

Brad Vautrinot

Stunt Coordinator
For reviewing DVD's (not the film itself), I'll read anyone, and very few of them, ONLY to find out if there are any problems (poor transfer, wrong AR, etc.) with the disc. The ultimate reviewer is myself, looking for:

the quality of the transfer

the aspect ratio

the audio component(s)

supplemental material

etc.

and how this all looks and sounds on my monitor. It's immaterial to me whether someone else likes a particular film or not. I buy it because I like it and not what someone else thinks of it which is why I usually shun reviewers.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
24fps Reviews
http://cztoondb.tripod.com/DVD/
Sorry...shameless plug.
Actually, my favorite reviewers are The Big Picture Reviews, DVD Angle, and DVD Savant/Talk.
I have trouble sometimes because I can't find a good review for a mono soundtrack DVD because they're usually rated very poorly. Reviews should rate soundtracks with the age and recording technology in mind. Even the best mono track that I've ever heard...from Young Frankenstein always gets a poor rating. There is such a thing as a great mono track and many films don't need DTS-ES 6.1 remixing to enhance the sound. Just some restoration (as in the erasing of pops, clicks, etc and equalizing the sound) can make a 2.0 track just as good as a 5.1 track.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks