What's new

Your Favorite Studio Logo...? (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Mine: The Geffen Company. I am a graphic artist and have always been in awe of the brilliance of this logo. On screen, you first see only a grey sphere with a groove, but as the ball spins 180 degrees, it reveals itself to be a 3-D letter "G." It's not only my favorite movie logo, it's my favorite logo, period.

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter
I always liked the spinning stars that form the "O" for Orion pictures.

Also the Tiger in the jungle for Mandalay is pretty neat.

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
You mean the current one with the ripple effect, the shine and a few bars of "As Time Goes By"? I actually like that one.

All-time faves...Geffen Pictures, Carolco Pictures, Amblin Entertainment with John Williams music, Touchstone Pictures and blue-background Disney with a few bars of "When You Wish Upon A Star".

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

Makes no difference who you are.

Iain Jackson

Second Unit
I too liked the Orion logo. Also, I always liked the old Tri-Star logo, where Pegasus runs in from the side of the picture, turns round and jumps towards the screen. The Cannon Films and Geffen Films logos were also good.
Wait a minute... all these studios are gone now, aren't they? Strange... :)
Of the studios that are still around, I like most of their logos. About the only ones I don't like are Hollywood Pictures and Dreamworks.

Michael*K

Screenwriter
I was also a fan of the Orion logo. The two I currently like the most are Mandalay and Dreamworks.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Not sure if this qualifies as a logo, but I like the Archers target, with the arrows hitting (or missing) the bulls eye.

Otherwise, I’m pick MGM

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
The Archers is a great one Lew.
Another of my favorites is the old Universal logo with the plane flying around Earth.
I also like Sony Pictures Classics. It's minimalist ;)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I like the "U" United Artists logo used between 1976 and 1986 (before they went to the "swoosh" UA logo) and the "\'" Warner Bros. logo from 1970 to 1984. I also like the cool green & B&W MGM logo for North By Northwest.
A cool fact, the stylized WB logo from that era was designed by genius graphic artist...Saul Bass! (and also did the MGM logo for NxNW)
I based my own video productions logo after the 1970's WB logo (you can see a gif of the original AVI file @ http://cztoondb.tripod.com/videoproduction.htm )

Andy Olivera

Screenwriter
I've always liked the simplicity of New Line. What really cemented that as my favorite was at the beginning of In The Mouth Of Madness, when the intro music starts playing over it...

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter
I always love it when studious theme their intros based on the movie. This can be as simple as starting the music/score as the logo appears (LOTR, In the Mouth of Madness as stated above), changing the color of the logo (Matrix's green WB or the last 2 Batman sequels red WB logo) or actually getting really creative (I loved how the Universal Earth intro led right into Waterworld's intro and showed the polar ice caps melting, brilliant!)

what're some good ones?

Nicholas Vargo

Second Unit
Real Name
Nicholas Vargo
I like film logos that lead the way into the films. Columbia Pictures created a dancing Columbia lady for its main logo in "Thank God It's Friday", still one of my favorite logos to look at. I also like Univeral's logo that leads into the film "The 'Burbs". A zoom in shot of planet Earth that keeps zooming until we reach a suburb neighborhood. Great opening logo.

My favorite logos used for most films include

Geffen Pictures (How dare David Geffen close that studio)
Orion Pictures
The Original Tri-Star Pictures Logo

I alos have another interesting logo for a film. There was a silent B&W MGM logo that seems more powerful silent. When I saw the original 1925 silent version of "Ben-Hur" recently on TCM, I saw this logo and noticed something else different about it. Once Leo the Lion looks away from the camera, a few seconds later, he stares back at the screen. Interesting, isn't it?

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

I think about the only one that ever really impressed me was the Universal for, I believe, their 75th anniversary. It started in mono and B&W with the globe and airplane and then progressed through several successive logos and ended with a new one and nice wraparound sound. I believe it is only on stuff released that year. 1990, I think.

Anchor Bay is probably favorite current one.

KyleK

Second Unit
I always liked the Jim Henson logo. Laser Kermit, and the little point of light writing Jim Henson

What are some films with the Geffen logo? I haven't seen that one before.

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
My favorite was the 20thCentury Fox logo, along with Alfred Newmans fanfare, with the "Cinemascope extension"......

Nicholas Vargo

Second Unit
Real Name
Nicholas Vargo
KyleK, there have been many films that have contained the Geffen films logo. They include:

Beetlejuice
Risky Business
Defending Your Life
Lost in America
Joe's Apartment
Beavis & Butt-Head Do America
Little Shop of Horrors

and more!

Does that answer your question?

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
"After Hours" and "Personal Best", also.

Is it just me, or was the laser Kermit Henson logo a play on the Carolco logo? Look at the two, and see if you think there might be a similarity.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

Another good logo: The drunken Leo from "Strange Brew". "Poke a pin in his bum, eh?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks