What's new

Your favorite Laserdisc side break? (1 Viewer)

Christopher_J_F

Stunt Coordinator
Peter, those are awsome! (The Natural Born Killers one mentioned above was a good one too!)
Great work guys! This is turning into a fun thread!

I think the best ones are when you've never watched the disc before and it goes to black so smoothly that you sit there for a second wondering what's going to happen next... oh, I guess the disc is over/flipping!

The Criterion box set of Se7en had some really smooth ones for a CAV release.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
I always liked the side break for RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK. It was right after he scopes out the well of the souls with the surveyor's glass (?) and says, "That's it."

I remember seeing the STAR WARS SEs in the theater and getting antsy about the time the side break would occur on the LD. I was like Pavlov's dog getting ready to get up to change the side.

AMADEUS had horrible cuts to avoid cutting in the middle of music, so they'd cut in the middle of dialogue sequences. The lesser of two evils to be sure, but annoying none the less.

John Lloyd

Second Unit
How about "Lethal Weapon 2"? The scene with Murtaugh stuck on the toilet bomb reaches its climax and the explosion occurs just at the side break. After the side break you see the toilet flying out of the house to hit the parked police car.

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter
My Lethal Weapon 2 disc broke in a much different location. On mine, you heard Murtaugh ask Riggs to "keep this quiet", followed immediately by wailing sirens and a media circus on the lawn, then the side break, and side two started inside the house with the bomb squad doing their thing and Leo monopolizing the Police shrink.

-Lyle J.P.

Neil S. Bulk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil S. Bulk

The full screen edition had the break in a different, much better spot. It was after Mr. Blonde's line, "I'd feel great about that". Wonderful place. The widescreen disc blew it!

Neil

Marius W

Agent
Real Name
Marius Willms
The Reservoir Dogs side break actually stopped me from buying the movie when it was released. I picked up the UK disc a few years later which had a good one.

Ace Ventura Pet Detective had a good side break. Ace is knocked cold, and the screen goes black. And then you get the side break.

Most of you can be glad you didn't buy Hong Kong laserdiscs during the mid/late 90's. A 90 minute movie would be spread across 4 sides (2 discs) in CLV. Just so they could charge twice as much for the set.

-Marius

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Forgive me for mentioning a DVD title rather than an LD title, but I think the layer change in the "Eyes Wide Shut" DVD is horrendous - smack dab in the middle of dialogue in the middle of a shot in the middle of a key scene, incredibly noticible. For a film that has many scenes that end by fading completely to black, this seems unexcusable.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch

What's worse is I got a copy of "Bullet in the Head" which was crammed onto one disc and had a good portion of the movie chopped out to do so. AND they charged me $60 for it.

Aaron Garman

Second Unit
Wasn't it "Would you please shut down the system"? Either way, great spot for a break. The other break was after Muldoon says, "They're approaching the Tyrannasaur paddock".
For the CLV versions only.

AJG

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks