Directors Your Favorite Historical Movie On DVD

Discussion in 'Movies' started by BryanV, Jan 16, 2005.

1. BryanV

BryanV Stunt Coordinator

Please recommend your favorite Historical Movies or Period Piece.

I am particularly interested in movies set in the time of the American founding fathers (Note to Disney, Please put out Johnny Tremain (1957) on DVD).

Just to let you know some of my favorites:

The Bounty: Visually stunning, it seemed very true to the actual events even if it was not.

The Last of the Mohicans: Another great scenic movie, the running got to be a bit much (I loved Ben Stiller's skit that he did on this movie for his TV show).

Tucker: One of the reasons why I love my country, the inventive and entrepreneurial spirit. Great soundtrack and nostalgic through and through.

How the West Was Won My family never wants me to pick movies because I am like the guy that wants to play Monopoly over boggle. I always want to watch an epic and this HTWWW is and epic to rule them all. I love movies with an Intermission and if it does not follow the hero over several continents than I like it to follow several generations like this one does. The other neat thing about this movie are the visible segments that cut the print up into thirds for it's original use in the Cineramadome.

Please recommend some of your favorites that you think no one should miss. Please limit your picks to movies available on DVD.

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Bryan, you posted this in the Movies section, where DVD is not discussed (except in the most passing of references). So, I moved it here to Polls (which is what it is).

3. SteveGon

SteveGon Executive Producer

I also like Tucker.

Others:

Gettysburg
    Black Robe
    Aguirre: The Wrath of God
    (though it strays wildly from real events; the book Aguirre by Stephen Minta is a great read)

There are others that don't spring to mind right away...

4. BryanV

BryanV Stunt Coordinator

If I get Gettysburg should I bother with Gods and Generals as well or just the first one? Were these the only two made in this series?

I have seen Aguirre in the foreign section since I was in High School but I have no idea what it is about.

5. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

Amadeus
    JFK
    Nixon
    Malcolm X
    Gettysburg
    Glory
    Schindlers List
    Platoon
    Born On The Fourth Of July
    Patton
    Ran

I could go on and on...

6. Ken Koc

Ken Koc Screenwriter

Spartacus
    The Egyptian
    How the West Was Won
    Patton
    El Cid
    Mutiny on the Bounty (1962)
    Cleopatra (OK... a very guilty pleasure)
    Fall of the Roman Empire
    Barry Lyndon

7. Mary M S

Mary M S Screenwriter

1776 made in 1972 Musical. Fairly historically correct, but fantastic as regards being reminded that our founding fathers, ate, drank, had sex, slept, much as men today. Taking them out of the musty attic of ‘icon’s wearing powdered wigs.
    Best Songs, which should give you a throat clutch:
    Momma Look Sharp: a courier who brings repeated requests for supplies to the Congress from General Washington; describes the death of a very young solider.
    Molasses to Rum (?) During the heated debates between Jefferson (anti) and South Carolinian Edward Rutledge (pro) slavery. About the trafficking in humans called the Golden Triangle.

Franklin: Treason is a charge used by winners as an excuse for hanging the losers.
    Adams: I have better things to do than stand here listening to you quote yourself.
    Franklin: Aw, that was a new one

Laurence Of Arabia: 1962. Better to read “Seven Pillars of Wisdom” for yourself, but this film on widescreen is something to behold. I always love Peter O’Toole.

The Wind and the Lion A search on this forum under the “Studio Feedback” will tell you how many (like myself) are stuck on lines from this movie. One I live by: “Is there not one thing in your life, worth losing everything for”
    Very loosely based on an incident during Teddy Roosevelt's run for re-election after he completed the President's term when McKinley died after an assasiation attempt. Candice Bergen’s role was in history a businessman kidnapped by Berber Pirates from the Barbary Coast. Best accurate “capture” of the dynamic personality of one of my favorite top 3 presidents. Teddy R

I second the motion on
    Cleopatra and surprisingly this movie is very accurate as regards what is known about the Greatest and Last Queen of Egypt. Cost a fortune to make and the sets (for its time) show this.

Camelot Musical 1967 Peter O’Toole, Vanessa Redgrave Accurate to some ‘legends’ regarding the ‘myth’ of King Arthur, Guenevere and Lancelot. Over the top but surpassingly poignant as regards a love triangle.

The Lion in Winter 1968 Again fairly accurate on the history of the Plangent family dynamics of Richard II.
    Big plus for this film, The King realistically kicking chickens out of the way in the big hall. Dialogue, Dialogue, and Dialogue. Rapier wit by the ScreenWriter for his charaters. + Katherine Hepburn

White Squall 1996 Directed by Ridley Scott. Tragic coming of age story, based on the real-life sinking of the “Albatross” I love the passionate pleas in court by one of the boys paraphrased: “why does an accident have to always be someone’s fault, why can’t it just be an accident”.
    A movie for sailors, and about how boys become men.

Period Piece: Restoration 1995 I don’t like Robert Downy but he was excellent in this role, as a man caught up into the intrigues of King Charles II lust for his mistress.

The War Lord Period piece.
    Charlton Heston. 1965. Little known period piece about a Norman Knight. Some would hate this, - but great realistic flavor on both the castle, - tiny as it should be, and the authentic Norman haircuts. Story centers on feudal barbarism and Droit de cuissage which was a French custom concerning the rights of a feudal lord to sleep with the bride of a vassal on her wedding night. (Hint: he keeps her).