1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Your Favorite Groups "Other" Albums

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Carl Miller, May 15, 2002.

1. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

Stylistically TFC is more a Roger Waters solo album, though it does have a similar dark feel to The Wall, another Rogers solo effort with a couple of Gilmour pieces thrown in. It all depends on how you classify "Pink Floyd". Many consider The Wall as the defining album, while I would point to those much earlier, and consider The Wall and TFC as transitional pieces to Rogers' solo career. It does say Pink Floyd on the cover, so technically it is a Floyd album.

2. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

My favorite group is the Moody Blues. All people mainly talk about for their albums is Days of Future Passed. Well any of their '67 to '72 albums are great. I'll list all the great ones:

Days of Future Passed

In Search of the Lost Chord

On a Threshold of a Dream

To Our Children's Children's Children

A Question of Balance

Every Good Boy Deserves Favour

Seventh Sojurn

Prelude is a good album to get if you can find it. It's an import for the US. it contains alot of B sides from '66 to like '69. It shows their progression from the R&B/British Invasion of the Go Now and Magnificient Moodies albums to the art/progressive rock and psychedelia of the seven I mentioned above. You can really only find Magnificient Moodies now, which is also an import for the US. I only reccomend this if you like the British Invasion and R&B soun and/or you're a completist.

Octave is an ok album too. It's not great, because it's the last album Mike Pinder made with the group, and he lost his fire by this time. He even left before finishing the album.

The last album I'd reccomend is Long Distance Voyager. This is their progression from their '60s/'70s style to their '80s electronic/pop fase, which they have yet to recover from. Patrick Moraz, who replaced Mike Pinder, definitely can't compare to his predocessor.

All their other albums only have a couple good songs at most on each. These albums are The Present, The Other Side of Life, Sur La Mer, Keys of the Kingdom, and Strange Times. I don't really reccomend them because they can't compare to the earlier work.

3. Jeff Pryor

Jeff Pryor Supporting Actor

In regards to Pink Floyd, I agree that The Final Cut is a good album. In fact, it was the first album I ever bought from the group back in '83, I was 15. Rick Wright did play keyboards on it, but strife within the band caused him to remove his name from the credits. I love all their psychedelic, pre-Dark Side stuff like Atom Heart Mother, Obscured By Clouds, and the soundtrack of More. Piper At the Gates of Dawn, the debut, is a little out there; I just could never get into Syd Barrett, either, and, although saddened by his tragic demise from the spotlight, am grateful for his influence. Of course the collection Relics is also good. Back to The Final Cut, some of those tracks (don't remember which ones exactly) were supposed to be included on The Wall, though I'm sure they were changed exclusively for TFC. As for A Momentary Lapse of Reason and The Division Bell, most fans I know just don't like those. I like both, but Division Bell felt like a bunch of old fogies who desperately need some medicinal pot to cure their arthritis and take them back to their roots. Maybe that's a little harsh, but very few tracks on that album are catchy: I like Wearing the Inside Out, which was sung by Rick Wright, best track on the whole thing if you ask me. Interesting sidenote: no one has mentioned Roger Waters' The Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking. Though certainly not Floyd, this album was the best Waters ever did, IMO. Radio Kaos just blew, and everything after.

Thumbs up to the Moody Blues. I have every single album mentioned above and a few more.

4. Ron Etaylor

Ron Etaylor Second Unit

Cool thread! Now I can only think of the artists mentioned though.

Yes- Close to the Edge

Jethro Tull A Passion Play

McCartney- London Town

Moodies- Seventh Sojurn

and a couple more

Beach Boys- Smiley Smile

Rolling Stones- Between the Buttons

5. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

How can anyone think of "Close to the Edge" as an "Other" album from Yes?
    I love "Drama" by Yes, that definitely qualifies. [​IMG]

6. ScottH

ScottH Producer

Scott Hanson

7. Jeff Keene

Jeff Keene Supporting Actor

8. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

I'm a classic era Floyd fan, and while I don't hate the post Waters stuff, it doesn't really do anything for me either. I'll take Gilmour's first solo album over any of the new Floyd anyday.

A few more "other" albums:

Styx - Equinox

Anne Murray - What About Me

Mike Oldfield - Hergest Ridge

9. Jeff Pryor

Jeff Pryor Supporting Actor

Agreed. I have both of Gilmour's solo albums and wish he'd give us fans another.

10. Jeff Keene

Jeff Keene Supporting Actor

11. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

I like the post Waters Floyd stuff better than the post Floyd Waters stuff.

I think Pink Floyd's best work came when they worked together, and to me they reached the peak with "Dark Side of the Moon", "Wish You Were Here", and "Animals".

12. Carl Miller

Carl Miller Screenwriter

After reading this whole thread, I gotta say I've got a nice long list of CD's to buy! I think I'm going to have to start with Relayer, and maybe break out the vinyl collection as I haven't listened to Yes in a real long time.

Also adding Van Morrison's Hymns to the Silence, Lives Secret Sumadhi and REM's Eponymous to the list.

13. Marvin

Marvin Screenwriter

Marvin
    The Beatles - With the Beatles, Help, Rubber Soul (Revolver seems to be the critical favorite nowadays, with Sgt Pepper, the White Album and Abbey Road usually being the recommended ones)

Brian Eno - Taking Tiger Mountain by Strategy (Another Green World seems to be the critical favorite)

Bowie - Scary Monsters

King Crimson - Lizard

Kinks - Arthur

Jethro Tull - Benefit (not sure of its "otherness")

Procol Harum - Shine on Brightly (ditto)

14. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

15. Marvin

Marvin Screenwriter

Marvin

16. Jeff Ulmer

Jeff Ulmer Producer

Ah yes, a couple more:

David Bowie: Low, The Man Who Sold The World

Genesis: Wind and Wuthering

Deep Purple: The Book of Talysin, Who Do We Think We Are,Come Taste the Band

Depeche Mode: Music for the Masses, Black Celebration

Kraftwerk: Electric Cafe

Max Webster: ST, High Class in Borrowed Shoes, Mutiny Up My Sleeve, A Million Vacations

Robin Trower: Twice Removed from Yesterday

17. Marvin

Marvin Screenwriter

Marvin

18. Peter Mazur

Peter Mazur Second Unit

A few of my favorites are:

AC/DC - Fly On The Wall

Def Leppard - Slang

Aerosmith - Done With Mirrors

George Harrison - Gone Troppo

Iron Maiden - X Factor

Kiss - Music From The Elder

Pink Floyd - Atom Heart Mother

Prince - Emancipation

Queen - Innuendo

Queensryche - Promised Land

Smashing Pumpkins - Machina/The Machines Of God

U2 - October

The Who - The Who By Numbers

Yes - Talk

R.E.M. - New Adventures In Hi-Fi

19. Mark Lee

Mark Lee Second Unit

20. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Fear Of Music is anything but an "other" album from Talking Heads. It is generally considered one of their top three right up there with "Remain In Light".

I will add the following, one based on an above post:

U2: Zooropa / Pop. I love both of these albums though they are not critically acclaimed.

Dave Matthews Band: Everyday. "Hardcore" fans hate it, I love it. I think some people just have a hard time accepting that their favorite artist wants to change and grow musically. This album is much more melodically solid and the songwriting is more cohesive than earlier efforts.