What's new

Your favorite composer that the DVD disc wouldn't be the same without (1 Viewer)

Mike Click

Stunt Coordinator
My favorite composer on the DVD I own would be Bernard Herrman, The upcoming DVD release "The Day the Earth Stood Still" and "Journey to the Center of the Earth" are but two of his masterpieces you will hear when you rent of buy either of the above DVD releases. I also have Bernard in the stirring "7th Voyage of Sinbad", "Valley of the Gwangi", "Farenheit 451" and "Gullivers Travels".

Only when they release "The Day The Earth Stood Still" I won't be listening to the Monaural soundtrack. Silva Screen Records of NYC, NY reissued the TDTESS in remastered Dolby Surround Disc #112660 "Great Film Music of Bernard Herrman" who lead The National Philharmonic Orchestra of London, England total running time 72M04S. Also in a different Disc are "Pshycho", "Marnie", "North by Northwest",
Vertigo, and The Trouble with Harry" Under The Great Hitchcock Thrillers running time 36M14S.

I have over 487 Remastered in Dolby Surround Classics of the 1930 through 2000
for the compact disc software I own that I play when I know that the DVD disc's music is about to be heard. For proof or your own listening pleasure the name is Silva Screen Records of monaural DVD discs that you own and would like to hear in Dolby Surround this is your ticket a audiophiles dream come true. I have 2 Pioneeer F-1007 300 discs one dedicated to soundtracks, plus 187 discs of the same in the other F-10007 player ready to go when I insert my DVD I insert my CD of beautiful Dolby Surround. I feel privaleged over the people of 1951 who 'had' to listen to a monaural soundtrack and those of you who have not bought and owned the pleasure of a audiophile while viewing the DVD of your choice.

DVD Widescreen and CD Re-mastered with the same instruments, only in Dolby Surround from philharmonic orchesrtra like the City of Prague by conducters like Nic Raines and Paul Bateman. The two when played are like a seemless view with music the Director would want you to hear.

You have yet to learn what all the things I have bought with the pleasure of hearing the music whenever the disc is played. The main reason I have purchased over 1291 movies one is in the mail, is to hear the mastered sound tracks that make the movie. Laura 1944 is one of the classics, I also have both movie and the music of David Raksin on CD of this 'chic' movie of 1944.

Do any of you share my passion of watching the DVD movie, but listening to the music of the great masters on Compact Disc, such a treat for the ear of one who apreciates the finest music money can buy, along with a $28,402 plus DVD disc collection. I won't even mention the amount spent over the years, dreams do not always come cheap but we audiophiles and videophiles to have the software to get the most beautiful picture and music for our dedicated minds. :)

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
A couple of corrections and info to Mike's post.

The Score for "The Valley of the Gwangi" was composed by Jerome Moross.

The producer hired Jerome Moross even though he had previously used Bernard Herrmann successfully on other projects.
After first hearing the score, he was a little critical of the Western Style that Jerome Moross (the Big Country)used on the picture.
Jerome Moross replied "if you wanted a Herrmann score, then you should have hired him"

In the end I think that Jerome Moross wrote an exciting and highly effective score for Gwangi.

"Gulliver's Travels"- was scored by Victor Young (1939) and Trevor Jones( 1996)

The picture that Mike refers to is "The 3 Worlds of Gulliver" in which Bernard Herrmann received a little assistance from George Duning.

Sean Campbell

Second Unit
The music in 'Valley of Gwangi' was actually by Jerome Moross. I have to wonder why it wasn't Herrmann as he'd been scoring most of the Harryhausen movies up until that point. Possibly the change of studio.

EDIT: Heh - by the time I had this typed some more info on the same subject had already been posted :)

Sean Campbell

Second Unit
The music in 'Valley of Gwangi' was actually by Jerome Moross. I have to wonder why it wasn't Herrmann as he'd been scoring most of the Harryhausen movies up until that point. Possibly the change of studio.

Sean Campbell

Second Unit
Re: Music only tracks.
I remember reading somewhere that the region 1 releases of 'The Dark Crystal' and 'Excalibur' both had the Trevor Jones soundtracks ( great in both cases ) on a seperate audio track. Was this so? Thanks to the multiple languagues required in the R2 zone, there was no such track on the European releases :frowning:

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
The "Mars Attacks!" DVD has Danny Elfman's complete fun score isolated.

The original HBO DVD release of "The Best Years of our Lives" has Hugo Freidhofer's beautiful score isolated.
This score is actually one of the finest ever written.
(by coincidence it was Orchestrated by Gwangi's Composer, Jerome Moross)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Mike, in addition to not bumping your posts, please post in the correct sections (this, for example, is a poll). Thank you.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Danny Elfman :emoji_thumbsup: and Tom Grooms hit the nail on the head with Hans Zimmer!

Although I can't believe no one has mentioned John Williams yet. Who doesn't get a chill down their spine when someone plays those 2 notes (back and forth) on the piano from the Jaws theme. Or who can forget Star Wars, when I saw Ep. 1 in the theaters, it gave me goose bumps when the crowd roared during that first orchestral note!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks