What's new

your favorite car-care products (1 Viewer)

Scott_lb

Supporting Actor
Regarding Clay Bars: can you still use them if you have a few coats of wax already on your car?

I'm interested in doing it, however, if the answer is "no", then I won't waste my time or money.

Jim_F

Screenwriter
Rain-X is the best thing since even before sliced bread.

I mean it. Sliced bread doesn't do a damn thing for my windshield.

Howie D

Stunt Coordinator
I've used the Z-18 clay bar as well on my Infiniti G35 and my gf's celica. The difference is amazing. My gf's celica had never been waxed since she bought it in 2000 but when I was finished claying and waxing the car, it looked brand new.

i really don't feel up (at least not yet) to doing the multi-step thing. i'd like to do just the wash 'n' wax thing - so which product would work best?
Yes, it's a multistep process but it goes on much easier than having to wax and then buff with your typical carnuba waxes. If you really want a deep shine and great protection Zaino is the way to go. I've tried many others and this is by far the best product I have used.

DonnyD

Screenwriter
Being a car cleaning buff all my life, I've been through a lot of products for a lot of years. Several years ago I ending up with Mequiers 3 step process. Although it was a lot of work, it certainly was worth the time and effort until...........I tried ZAINO.... Sure the first time is a little time consuming but after that, it is simply the easiest on/off I have ever seen and the results are spectacular.
The Zainobros website gives a lot of info and tips and they do all work together to give a very long lasting and deep shine to your pride and joy. My yearly process is:
1)Wash with DAWN dishwashing liquid
2)Clay bar
3)Dawn again
4)chamios
5)Apply Z2 or Z5 (with ZFX for quick dry)
6)30 minutes later, remove
7) It is so easy, you'll usually do another coast immediately
CAUTION.... An ounce of Zaino should do 2 cars.... A VERY THIN COAT IS THE TRICK.
After that, its just a wash with Zaino car wash, dry and a coat of Z2 or Z5 (with ZFX). All in about an hour. It is so easy, you'll do this a lot and get those results you have always been seeking.
There simply is nothing that rivals that silky, velvety feel after a clay bar/ Zaino process.

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
Okay, thanks for the claybar answers. Now, any tips on how to convince the wife to let me drop $64.70 on car care products? :)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i think donny is saying it's okay to use the first time cuz it'll strip off all the stuff.

but yes, you're not supposed to use soap aftewards - it'll remove all the wax you worked so hard to put on in the first place. :)

at least i think that's how it goes...

Mike__D

Supporting Actor
I've had great results with 3M Imprial Hand Glaze, followed by One Grand Blitz wax. Both recommened by Car Care Online mentioned above. I apply the Blitz wax with my bare hand. Takes longer, but your skin doesn't have embedded dirt in it and you don't waste the wax. I am interested in Zaino bros though...

I heard too much clay bar is a bad thing. Wasn't it originally used for paint overspray? I do, however, agree it works wonders.

Mike D.

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
Wow! This thread really grew fast. Yes, you get 2 clay bars with the Z-18. Many people cut the bar in half before using it. If you cut it in half and then spread it out like a pancake, it'll work great. You can definitely use it again but it all depends on how dirty the clay gets. You don't want to grind the contaminants back into your paint. The two things to remember when claying is to keep the surface well lubricated and don't apply too much pressure.

You should only wash your car with Dawn if you want to strip the surface of all the wax/polish.

If you're going to use Zaino, definitely buy the ZFX instead of Z1. It'll save you a lot of time.

I recommend also buying the Z6 shine enhancer. Put a coat of this on in between your coats of Z2 or Z5 and it will give you an even better shine.

The whole Zaino process seems like a lot of work at first but as someone else stated, it's not really. The Zaino polish is applied in a thin coat and is very easy to remove. The most difficult thing is trying to keep from applying too much, as most first time users do. You should also use only 100% cotton white made in USA towels for removing the polish. I use Fieldcrest Charisma towels for this and they work great.

If you're just getting started with Zaino, here's what I recommend ordering:

Z18, Z2, Z5 (not necessarily needed), ZFX, Z6 and Z7. I spent $100 on my first Zaino order but it's definitely worth it and the Zaino will last a long time. Great products from a great company. :emoji_thumbsup:

I heard too much clay bar is a bad thing. Wasn't it originally used for paint overspray? I do, however, agree it works wonders.
I'm not sure how you could have too much clay bar. If there's nothing in your paint, it won't do anything. One of the things it does a great job of removing is paint overspray. Another thing is tar. I had spots of tar all over my Corvette when I got it. After the clay bar, it was all gone. The only way that a clay bar could damage the finish would be if the clay was contaminated. At that point you should be using a new bar.

DonnyD

Screenwriter
Yes, DAWN is for use prior to putting on Zaino or any other wax actually as it does strip old wax off. BUT it does not remove Zaino...... Claybar is used to remove embedded contaminants from your paint and will also remove remnants of old wax that DAWN missed.

Caution.... do not put Zaino on your windshield.... you'll never get it off... has to wear off... and that is when you'll find how long that stuff actually lasts!!!

Shawn Sefranek

Second Unit
I’ve been using ZAINO for the last three years and it’s the GREATEST car polish product I have ever used.
Here are the fruits of my labor on my Acura CL-S.

I took this one in my garage last weekend.

More pictures HERE if you're interested in the car.

Shawn S

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Many of you have stated how long the Zaino lasts. . .could you give me an idea how long you go between waxings?

At the moment, I'm using Zymol. It takes quite a bit of elbow grease, and I don't like all the residue that gets stuck in the cracks.

Dillon Poole

Agent
Everybody here has mentioned some good stuff. For the car itself, I recommend you drive down to a local Harley shop and pick up S100 Paint Cleanser and S100 Carnauba Paste Wax. This stuff is the EASIEST wax I've ever used and gives cars tremendous depth in color. Go to http://www.autopia.org/ for tons of information (too much actually) about detailing.

A few pictures of my beat up old offroading beast of a truck...

DonnyD

Screenwriter
Elizabeth S....
I've been using Zaino for a little over a year on three of my vehicles. On my work truck, I went over 6 months and it was still beading....and it sits outside 100% of the time and puts up wth work site dust and pretty bad overall conditions. I also use it on my car and it was still beading after 6 months too. Now on my ride-around-truck, I put a coat of Zaino on about once a month. In an above post I mentioned NOT putting it on your windshield since it seems to mess up wipers and rain-x won't stick to it. I say this from experience as I put it on my windshield and although I abraded it, scrubbed it, etc, it took months to get that stuff off to a point that rain-x would stay on!

Zaino does last longer than anything I have ever used.... and I've used a lot of different new-on-the-block-highly-advertised products.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Thank you, DonnyD! That would be great if I could go 6 months between waxings! My Civic is outside most of the time as well. I took a fast look at the Zaino site the other day. I'll have to read more thoroughly, but I really need a one-step process, though, as I always drive over to my parents' house to do the wash/wax and want to do it all in one day. (My apartment has no washing area.)

I used to use Rain-X on the windows but had a lot of trouble with streaking. Any hints on avoiding that?

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
You can do the Zaino in one day, no problem. Just buy the ZFX instead of the Z1 and you only need to let the polish dry for about 30 minutes before removing it. Makes it much easier.

Andrew W

Supporting Actor
I live in TX and our company doesn't have covered parking. Wax will evaporate off your car at about 180 F and most cars will get hotter than that sitting in the sun.

Zaino doesn't melt or evaporate and my car still looks great after two years. I apply a fresh coat every six months and use the spray every few washes.

Andy

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
Another product I found works well is Simple Green, for the tar that accumulates on the lower side panels.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks