What's new

your favorite car-care products (1 Viewer)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
hi all -

i have a relatively new 4runner that i wanna give a good wash 'n' wax to. i thought i'd see what people like to use.

wash
i just use this generic stuff from costco. it has detergent in it so i don't use it right after i wax, but after a while (when i figure the wax has worn off) i go back to it.

wax
i use a glaze polish from the wax shoppe. i love it cuz it doesn't leave any caked residue in the nooks and crannies.

windows
i use this stuff from armor all. it's the only one i've found that doesn't streak - works great!

wheels
right now i'm using some silicone spray (eagle 1??) that seems to work pretty well. it leaves a nice semi-shiny finish on the tires. for the wheels themselves i use the spray stuff (to loosen/remove brake dust) and one of those funky wheel brushes. even though they say no scrubbing i do it anyway.

interior
armor-all. yeah, i know some people don't like it, but i've been using it for years with great success.

btw - i think there's some product here that people like (zainol???) but when i searched it didn't come up.

and finally...yes, i'm trying to kill time. :D

thx!

ted

Don Black

Screenwriter
I would recommend that you upgrade your interior care products to Lexol.

The external polish that you are talking about is Zaino and can be found at http://www.zainobros.com. Some people swear by it. Others are happy with their Meguiar's wax.

For brake dust, you might consider P21S gel.

Dan Joy

Supporting Actor
btw - i think there's some product here that people like (zainol???) but when i searched it didn't come up.
I think you mean ZYMOL

It is awesome stuff but very labor insensive and expensive. It has protected my 1993 Volvo 850 flawlessly. I gone since gone to Meguiars Gold for ease of use and cost savings. It works well.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I've been using Lexol on my leather for three years and it's fine as far as I know. It's my first (and hopefully last) leather seated car.

I like Meguier's waxes. Not the three step one but just the paste wax. Looks good and lasts a long time.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
In addition to Lexol for the leather, I recommend using Vinylex for the other interior surfaces (it's made by the same company).

If you have a problem with brake dust on your wheels, try applying a thin coat of wax after cleaning them. I find the dust comes off easier that way.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
thx for the tips guys! i'll check out some of these products.

my girlfriend's newphews also told me about some gel they put on the tires ... must be that stuff you're talking about don. i kind of like the idea of rubbing the tires instead of spraying some gunk on them...seems like you'd get a better coat that way.

Scott_lb

Supporting Actor
Two things:

1. Regarding cleaning my aluminum rims, I use Meguire's (sp?) Hot Rims Wheel Cleaner. It's formulated to remove brake dust very easily.

2. I find that tire gel works better than tire spray. It goes on thicker and seems to last longer than spray. I've tried many kinds, and have found that Meguire's tends to work out best and last the longest.

David Preston

Supporting Actor
No he was right when he said Zaino. It is one of the best. I belong to a dedicated car forum and that is all that touches most peoples cars. It is a little exspensive but well woth it especially if your car is black. It has a lot of different steps if you want to do it that way. I alsoi recommend Zaino.

Howie D

Stunt Coordinator
I use Zaino as well. As David said, it's a little expensive for the complete package, but well worth the $$$. It provides great protection and a nice shine as well. I also use it on my rims which makes all the brake dust come off with ease. It isn't for sale in any Autoparts stores but can be ordered online from distrubotors.

Here's a link to their website.

Zaino Bros.

For the interior, Lexol is the way to go.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
I *also* recommend Zaino. I've used lots of diffent polishes and waxes over the years, but I've NEVER gotten a shine as deep and rich as Zaino. Their stuff is worth every penny. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Tim Markley

Screenwriter
I also only use Zaino on my Corvette. The shine and protection is amazing. Definitely worth the money. It's also a polish so you don't have to deal with the white powdery residue that you get from a wax.

For those of you that have never used a clay bar on your car, I highly recommend it. It will take all of the contaminants out of your paint and leave it silky smooth. You can actually feel it working as you use it.

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Hey.. is Lexol's 'Vinylex' available in Canada? I'm not familiar with it... I usually use Armor-All Low Gloss stuff for my interior... but I wouldn't mind trying something new!

Lary Larson

Stunt Coordinator
Zaino here too. I'll second Tim's recommendation for the clay bar. I just did my spring routine on my SC400 and my girlfriend's Sebring. She had never hand-waxed her 5-year-old car before - even after a wash the finish would feel gritty. After a once-over with the clay bar it's glassy smooth. She was amazed.

BTW, I just started using their new ZFX product. I can't say I notice a difference in appearance (tough to tell with my white car), but it eliminates the Z1 Polish Lok step, which makes it worthwhile to me.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
well i just checked out the zaino website. man, there's a lot of products.

i really don't feel up (at least not yet) to doing the multi-step thing. i'd like to do just the wash 'n' wax thing - so which product would work best?

i'm thinking the Z2 (for clear coated finishes) or the Z3 (for regular paint). but how do i know if my car is clear coated or not?

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Erk.. I forget how to tell between clear-coat and non-clear coat finishes. Sorry. You could always drop Zaino an email... I've found them to be very helpful. :)

I would start with Z1 Polish Lok and either Z2 or Z3. That'll get you started, and your car will look great. You can always get Z5 and other stuff later on. :) I haven't tried the new ZFX yet... sounds like you could probably get that rather than the Z1.

I also suggest the Z18 claybar. It's better than the claybars I've bought off-the-shelf. In a pinch, you could use the off-the-shelf ones (I believe Macguires makes one).

Wash 'n clay your car, and then do Z1 and Z2/3. You'll love it. :)

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
Question on the claybar thing--the zaino website lists the Z-18 at $17...is that for one bar? Because it goes on to explain that if you happen to drop the bar, you might as well toss it in the trash because you'll pick up all kinds of contaminants from the ground. Considering you are using the claybar over a lubricated section of sheet metal, I'm sure that dropping it is not outside of the realm of possibility. So, those of you who have used it, does that $17 buy just one bar? Should I order a few just to be safe? How long does one bar last? I see that you keep stretching folding it over until there are no more clean parts left...does that happen during the first time you use it? The second?

This is a great thread, by the way. I just bought a Mazda 6s a few months ago and I want to give it a really good wash-and-wax now that winter is over. This Zaino stuff seems like the way to go. :emoji_thumbsup:

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
Clay bars can last through a couple of cleanings, if memory serves. (Haven't clayed my car for a while. Heh) But yeah... don't ever drop 'em.

I believe that the Zaino Z-18 product has TWO bars in a container for that price. 'least that's the way it was last time I ordered one. :)

I know 17 bucks sounds like a lot... but every Zaino product I've used is worth every penny I've spent on it. No BS. :)

Again, Dave... I suggest you drop the Zaino folks an email with your questions about claybars. If memory serves, Sal is "the guy" there, and he's more than happy to answer questions.

Ted... the Zaino site has some great tips on how to apply their products and such. Worth a read-through.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks