What's new

Your favorite bands' worst albums (1 Viewer)

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Queen: Hot Space, The Miracle. Not AWFUL, but nowhere near great. The boys deserve an ass kicking for "Cool Cat" and "Rain Must Fall."
Genesis: Calling All Stations. With Phil gone, I thought they'd return to prog. Not the case. Not a bad album, but it has nothing of what made Genesis (either the prog or pop versions) what they were.
Oasis: Standing on the Shoulder of Giants. Save for a couple of tunes, bland stuff. Here's hoping the new one gets them back on track.
Roxette: Have a Nice Day! Pseudo-techno drivel from one of the finest pop songwriters ever. Why, Per, WHY? But he redeemed himself to an extent with "Room Service" :D

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
But it's got a killer instrumental. Ytse something.
You're thinking of Ytsejam. The title, btw, is "majesty" spelled backwards, which was what they wanted to call themselves originally before they found out that another band was using that name. It also why their logo has a big M in it. The logo is take-off of the symbol representing Mary, Queen of Scots, I believe.

That song can be found on live CDs, so the original album isn't worth it for that. Of course I have it since I'm a hardcore DT freak. In fact, they recently put out a remastered version, but you can't remaster-away that singer.

Jeff Keene

Supporting Actor
The copy I have is an import from Germany, as I recall. I hadn't thought of the live albums, but that's a good point. The best songs from this first album are probably covered much better on those.
I had Ytse Jam copied to a tape of instrumentals (which I wish I still had) and it was one of the highlights. It had some Joe Satriani, something from Fates Warning, Rush's La Villa Strangiato (sp?), etc. I miss that tape.
You know for someone who claims to not like Rock as much you have pretty good taste. :laugh:

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
Let It Be was an attempt to make the best of a bad situation. After three weeks of rehearsals being filmed and two more weeks in the studio proper under the same conditions, with no real sense of direction, once the filming stopped (and a concert ending was realised) , with the exception of filming and recording Let It Be and The Long And Winding Road, there was no point in continuing. Glyn Johns tried twice and failed, and Phil Spector took half-hearted rehearsals and tried to make an album with the help of his own legendary (albeit controversial) touch.

Truly the biggest indication of the boredom and the breakup.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
You know for someone who claims to not like Rock as much you have pretty good taste.
Yeah, well, I guess that claim was just the music snob in me. I probably still have more rock CDs than jazz simply because I've been listening to rock longer. Plus, lately, I've been obsessing more over anything Crimson/Fripp related, and I guess that counts as "rock"- sorta.

Btw, another Dreamtheater song from the first album that was covered much better later with LaBrie was Fortune In Lies. Live At the Marquee has a great version of that.

ScottH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Hanson
Rush - Roll The Bones (Aside from Dreamline, Bravado, and Where's My Thing, this album offers nothing IMHO.)

Of course, unless this whole mastering issue is resolved, 'Vapor Trails' will be earning this distinction.

Samuel Des

Supporting Actor
I am a big Stones fan. This makes me emotionally incapable of assigning a bad grade to any of their albums, even if I intellectually know it to be true. :laugh:
The same can be said for the Clash. Oh, wait... I forgot Cut the Crap, which could have been good if....
I have and love every Lou Reed album, including the velvet underground stuff. I even have the scam called Metal Machine Music. But I don't love love that album in the way that I love love his other stuff. I keep it around as a reminder of the disdain artists cultivate for the fans who adore them. Believe it or not, MMM is available on CD. I wonder what Lester Bangs would have to say.
Those are my big three, I guess.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler
Black Sabbath: the last couple albums w/ Ozzy.
Can I mention the kick-ass album that "Never Say Die" was?
I'd add,
Sonic Youth- A Thousand Leaves
Rush-Presto
Van Halen- OU812, terrible recording also.
Orbital- Middle of Nowhere (blech)
Snoop Dogg-Tha Doggfatha
WuTang Clan- Forever(2 discs of hardly any ODB, and stock raps)
Bjork-"She does NO wrong"

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
Lush - Lovelife was pretty dismal. Even worse let down:

Ride - "Going Blank Again"

It was even more of a let down as the leading EP ("Leave Them All Behind") was so great.

And now my pick:

My Life with the Thrill Kill Kult - Sexplosion.

Martin.

John Geelan

Screenwriter
How bout:

U2- Pop...boy that one sucked!

Rush- Test For Echo...test for a pulse.

REM- Monster...has 2 decent songs on it.

Pink Floyd- The Final Cut...has one good song "Not Now John".

ELP- Love Beach....ouch!

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Supporting Actor
ELP - Love Beach. "I'll make love to you on love beach." I should have added that one to the "stupidest lyrics eyer" thread.
Yes - Tormato and Open Your Eyes.
Asia - Aria
Def Leppard - Euphoria. Not a bad Lep album, per se, but a major disappointment to go back to treading water after the brilliant and totally unique Slang.
Kansas - Monolith
NP: Carl Reiner and Mel Brooks - The 2000 Year Old Man in the Year 2000

StephenA

Screenwriter
Moody Blues: Pretty much anything after Long Distance Voyager. Though there are some good songs, the albums pretty much suck.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Prince: Graffiti Bridge
I have to ask: have you heard

-Come

-Old Friends 4 Sale

-Prince

-For You

-Rainbow Children

-Emancipation

-Rave Un2 the Joy Fantastic

-Batman

-Chaos and Disorder

-New Power Generation

?

I'd take "GB" over each and every one of those, though at least "Prince" has a few good songs...

Salvador

Second Unit
Live - Five

What the hell happened to live?

Rage Against the Machine - Battle of Los Angeles

This album doesn't live up to the earlier stuff. Not even close.

Shakira - Laundry Service

It's not particularly horrible but her 'North Americanization' ruined the elements that made her previous albums great.

Blur - 13

Sheesh, what the hell is this crap? I loved all of their previous albums but when this came out....

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
U2- Pop...boy that one sucked!
Now THERE'S an insightful comment!:rolleyes
Far too many people quickly dismiss "Pop". The album actually has quite a few top-notch songs and worked EXTREMELY well live. Not only did it provide some excellent music, but the lyrics are some of Bono's best. On my charts, "Pop" is much closer to the top of the U2 list than the bottom - I'd definitely take it over any of their first four albums, and it's also easily better than "Rattle and Hum" and "Zooropa". Hell, if I felt like arguing, I might make a case that it's better than ANY of their other albums, but I'm not in the mood!:)

Zack Scott

Stunt Coordinator
Queen - Hot Space and A kind of Magic

(really a kind of magic sounds more euro-pop than queen. And Yes I liked highlander and the songs from it. but the rest of the filler is utterly pointless.)

Rolling Stones - Bridges to babylon. I listened to it once and sold it back to the warehouse. Horrid.

Brian Lawrence

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
U2 - All that You Can't Leave Behind

Pearl Jam - 10 (There later stuff is much better)

Metallica - Black Album (Load & ReLoad may not have been very good, but those albums where Metallica at least trying to be creative. The Black Album was when they soldout. that one should of been titled 'Metallica's ode to Def Leppard'

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks