Directors Your favorite audio commentaries?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Scott Weinberg, Jan 30, 2004.

1. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

You get five each. FIVE! [​IMG] And please feel free to mention ones that have already been brought up. I'm trying to get a feel for which yak-tracks are the most admired overall.

My faves:

Roger Ebert on Dark City
    Terry Gilliam on Brazil
    Jackson, Walsh & Boyens on The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
    Carpenter & Russell on The Thing
    --A Cheat: Any of the commentary tracks from The Simpsons or Futurama! They're entertaining and periodically quite fascinating; they're a great balance between casual, technical...and silly.

There are several others I love, but I've limited myself to five. Damn stingy me!

2. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    I can't say I've listened to a lot of them and it seems I'm in the minority to do so among my circle of friends. A couple of times I got a surprised "You do that?" when I say I watched a movie with the audio commentary turned on.
    [*]Joss Whedon on Becoming 1 and 2 of Buffy Season 2 - Whedon is a funny, funny man
    [*]Martha Coolidge on Rambling Rose - I have not listened to this in a while and it was one of the first commmentaries I ever heard, so it might not be as great as I remember
    [*]Roger Ebert on Citizen Kane - helped me understand why it gets so many accolades
    [*]Mel Gibson on Braveheart - he doesn't say a lot but I found his information about film speed manipulation and frame removal very interesting
    [*]Guillermo del Toro on Blade 2 - del Toro has the same sense of humor as Whedon and takes every opportunity to make fun of his own film. Very fun to listen to.

3. ErikG

ErikG Cinematographer

Crowe and Heckerling - Fast Times At Ridgemont High
    Carpenter and Russell - The Thing
    Carpenter and Hill - Halloween
    Weitz Bros. and Cast - American Pie

4. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

The director commentary on the Momento LE. For those unaware, it branches at random to 3 different tracks, in which the director tells you three different things. Nothing like a commentary that purposely messes with your head just like the movie does.

5. Bill J

Bill J Producer

Black Hawk Down - Task force veterans
    JFK - Oliver Stone
    The Godfather - Francis Ford Coppola
    Dark City - Roger Ebert
    Citizen Kane - Roger Ebert

6. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

You're going to make this difficult, huh?

The Usual Suspects - Quite fun and informative, plus it has the absolutely impressive impersonation of Gabriel Byrne by director Bryan Singer.

Tromeo and Juliet - You may laugh, but Lloyd Kauffman is a hell of a schlock filmaker and he turned in a wonderful commentary, filled with great annecdotes, a truly amazing and hilarious amount of subtext and preparation on this magnum opus, and some seriously twisted humor. When he rails against Hollywood heroes that don't have...ahem...bodily functions, I was just about dying from lack of oxygen.

Contact - All of the tracks were quite good, but the Jodie Foster track is mesmerizing. She's just amazingly well spoken and thoughtful.

Monster's Inc. - Practically any Pixar release is pure gold, and this commentary is especially good (as is the movie)

The Thing - John Carpenter and Kurt Russell just roll through this one having a great time, and I did as well.

7. Casey Trowbridg

Casey Trowbridg Lead Actor

There seems to be a lot of audio commentary discussion lately, but that's just fine by me cause I love them.

5. Roger Ebert - Citizen Kane
    4. Various - Futurama
    3. "Weird Al" Yankovic - UHF
    2. Various - Monsters Inc.
    1. Various - Ghostbusters

8. Mark Shannon

Mark Shannon Screenwriter

I can't seem to get into the whole Audio Commentary thing. I always watch a movie once normally for the first time. But on second and third times around, I don't think I could jsut sit and watch the same movie, listening to a couple people talking about what it means to them or how they did this part. Seems kinda boring, if you ask me.

9. Jack Ferry

Jack Ferry Stunt Coordinator

Jack Ferry
    "Weird Al" Yankovic - UHF

Garry Marshall - Runaway Bride and Princess Diaries. Runaway Bride was a bit of a stinker, but I liked the commentary. (And it's pretty hard to come up with a DVD where the commentary was better than the film.)

10. Cameron Yee

Reviewer

Cameron Yee

There's no doubt some commentaries leave a lot to be desired, but if I really like a movie then it is just another feature that feeds the love. Do you get into the behind the scenes documentaries at all?

11. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

I haven't listened to very many commentaries, so I only have two notables so far:

- Chris Rock on Head of State
    - Keira Knightley and Jack Davenport on Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl

12. Mark Shannon

Cameron, yes I do. I especially enjoy the behind the scenes, and the like. At least it's something new to watch. The audio commentaries just seem to be kinda boring to me.

13. Cameron Yee

Reviewer

Cameron Yee
    Actually I can understand that. I don't always sit and watch the movie as the commentary is going. Sometimes I treat it like a radio program and do other things around the house. So, yeah, just sitting there and listening can be a challenge sometimes. And audio commmentaries are not my first choice when I get a DVD, unless I've seen the movie several times and want some new info.

14. Mark Shannon

That would be really great to do if I hada set of wireless headphones. That way I could walk around the house listening to how Peter Jackson was able to build the set of Helm's Deep. Unfortunately, I don't, and my HT is in my basement. So, I'll just have to make do with what i got. It's still doubtful I'd ever fully commit myself to an commentary tho.

15. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

Michael Jeck, Seven Samurai

16. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Too hard Scott as there are many:

·Notorious (just one of many great Marian Keane commentaries—Rudy Behlmer is fine also)
    ·Red Shoes (great comments on P&P and Jack Cardiff and the difficulties of early Technicolor)
    ·Brazil (the commentaries go a long way to help understanding how choosing different takes of the same scene and editing help craft the movie—plus getting the scoop on one of the great artist/studio battles of all time is just fascinating).
    ·Seven Samurai (if you don’t know why Kurosawa is considered one of the masters, Michael Jeck’s commentary will explain all)
    ·Spartacus (if you are tired of the love-ins that are a main part of many commentaries, listen to these: the moviemaking process as seen from the novelist, Howard Fast, screenwriter Dalton Trumbo, Kirk Douglas, Peter Ustinov and many, many more—a fasicaniting take on how a movie is made from multiple viewpoints and the compromises that get made)

17. Elizabeth S

Elizabeth S Producer

Elizabeth S
    I very rarely listen to commentary tracks (not enough time for watching actual movies as it is! )

However, I thoroughly enjoyed the one for Das Boot.

18. Stevan Lay

Stevan Lay Second Unit

My favourite audio commentary track is also Roger Ebert's on Dark City.

19. Kristian

Kristian Supporting Actor

I don't know about anyone else, but I prefer to listen to commentaries with the TV off. Anyways, here are my favorites:

1. Peter Jackson, Fran Walsh and Philippa Boyens - The Fellowship of the Ring - Extended Edition
    2. Peter Jackson, Fran Walsh and Philippa Boyens - The Two Towers - Extended Edition
    3. George Lucas, et al - Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones
    4. Joss Whedon - Innocence (Buffy the Vampire Slayer - Season 2)
    5. Roger Ebert - Dark City

20. Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises Lead Actor

Jackson and Company - The Two Towers Extended Edition
    Cast and Crew - Silence of the Lambs
    Carpenter and Russell - Big Trouble in Little China
    The Godfather - Francis Ford Coppola
    Cast and Crew - Ghostbusters