Your favorite "adventure" style game for PC?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ted Lee, Mar 20, 2003.

1. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

hi all -

not sure if adventure is exactly the right category. basically any game where you have to explore places, solve puzzles, a mystery, etc.

not necessarily an action, rpg, shooter type game.

maybe something with cool visuals, solid gameplay, nice atmosphere?

also, i don't care if it's an old or new title. i actually like picking up old titles cuz i can pay a lot less. (i just picked up max payne for 10 bucks).

thx!

ted

[edit] no fps's please - they make me dizzy! [​IMG]

2. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Deus Ex!

3. Mark Evans

Mark Evans Supporting Actor

Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers.

Devilish puzzles, an amazing New Orleans atmosphere, a great mystery to solve, and compelling characters! Super voice-acting to boot!

That's a literal adventure game too, I should point out. You can probably find it bargain bin slumming for $5 or so, which is a travesty beyond words [​IMG].

4. GlenHaag

GlenHaag Supporting Actor

The Monkey Island games.

Grim Fandango.

Full Throttle.

Basically most of the Lucasarts adventures titles.

Only Grim Fandango and the last Monkey Island title (who's name escapes me) have come out in the last few years. Those are my favs though.

Glen

5. Romier S

Romier S Producer

6. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Only ones I've played that would fit at all would be Myst 1 and 3. Shadowgate came out for PC, though, and that kicked ass.

7. millercv

millercv Second Unit

Recently I picked up the PC version Darkened Skye for $5 because I saw a review of the GC version and it looked fun (it is based on the magical power of skittles . . . Yes those skittles. Taste the rainbow.) and it was well worth it.

If you can find it (and make it work w/ windows) a nice adventure and the funniest game ever is Sam and Max hit the Road

8. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

cool. thx for the rec's.

i actually have deus ex (came with some software bundle). i like the execution of the game. unfortunately, i can't play fps's - they make me dizzy! sorry, i forgot to mention that...i'll edit my first post.

i'll check out some of these games. looks like grim fandango may be a possibility. i think i've seen syberia on the shelfs, so maybe i'll check into that too. i know i've also seen the lucasarts ones, but they look more fighting oriented?

i'm probably looking for more slow paced, use your brain type stuff.

9. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

Myst is not an adventure game

Gabriel Knight, Monkey Island (series), Space Quest (series), Day of the Tentacle, Sam and Max Hit the Road are the best ones out there

10. Mark Evans

LucasArts games are great, though I'm always gonna plug Gabriel Knight first and them second [​IMG]. You can get some LucasArts classic adventure packs out there. The one with Full Throttle, The Dig, and the first two Monkey Islands is a great pack. The other with Indiana Jones & The Fate of Atlantis, Day of the Tentacle, and Sam & Max Hit The Road is another treat.

Curse of Monkey Island is an awesome game, but if you play the first two MI's in advance it really enhances the experience.

11. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

looks like amazon has most of these titles for about 10 bucks.

most of these appear to be for win98. any issues playing on xp?

jeff - why wouldn't myst qualify? i would describe it as an adventure game...albeit with no interaction. [​IMG]

12. Mark Evans

Grim Fandango and both Curse Of & Escape From Monkey Island have no issues running under XP. Ditto The Longest Journey.

There's a link for running old DOS-based titles on XP here.

For old LucasArts titles, such as Day of the Tentacle or Indiana Jones, there's a special program called ScummVM that will run the titles properly under XP. That program can be found here.

Also, if you want some old school Sierra adventure titles to play for free, you can find VGA updates of the classics at www.tierraentertainment.com The King's Quest 1 update is decent and has some fun puzzles, but the King's Quest 2 update is a thing of beauty with more mind-benders and a really great plot.

Phew, there you go! Hope it helps! Oh, I note Amazon also has The Gabriel Knight Mysteries set for sale (though I wager you can get it cheaper on EBay) which has both GK1 and 2 in a package. Gabriel Knight 2 is ALSO an excellent game, and to my mind the only well-done FMV game ever made, great mystery too!

13. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

mark - simply put...you rock! [​IMG]

14. Chris Flynn

Chris Flynn Second Unit

Oh, I'll go with Grim Fandango, Full Throttle, and the Monkey Island series as well.

15. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

Westwood's Lands of Lore: Guardian of Destiny & Blade Runner(both 1996) were fun, The Dig is interesting, I liked the Krondor series.

16. Mark Evans

I'll jump in yet again to point out that the Lands of Lore and Krondor titles are both RPGs though, and don't have very much by the way of puzzles (although the riddle-trapped treasure chests in Krondor are a ton of fun).

Betrayal at Krondor used to be free off the Sierra website, though I'm not sure if that's still the case. I didn't like Lands of Lore very much, really limited as far as playability went.

The Dig's a good game, but I don't recommend it as a beginning adventure game (which may or not be the case for Ted, just saying) because it has some of the most bloody ridiculous hard puzzles ever and you never get any feedback unless you get things exactly right which can lead to a LOT of trial and error trying to divine a solution which you may or may not have had a single clue to.

Side-note is that Full Throttle doesn't work under ScummVM because in addition to the Scumm system it uses the iNsane engine for its action sequences and the system currently does not handle it. The link for running DOS games in XP would probably help though.

17. Kevin M

Kevin M Producer

The Original poster defined his topic as...

18. Joel Mack

Joel Mack Cinematographer

I recently finished "Syberia" and loved it.

19. felix_suwarno

felix_suwarno Screenwriter

how many of you played through those games without consulting a guide at gamefaqs?

20. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

I usually need a little help on most of these games. Usually it's just that I missed a pixel somewhere or something.

I love every single LucasArts Adventure game I've ever played (which is a good chunk of them). They have a great style, humor (most of them anyway), pacing and some very original ideas.

My favorite is Cure of Monkey Island though. This has amazing design and animation, near perfect voice acting, great jokes, and devilishly clever puzzles. But I do agree that playing the first 2 will give you a greater appreciation of the game and some of it's inside jokes.

Grim Fandango is so close behind it though, it isn't funny. It shares many of the same qualities, and is even better in some areas. It's main attraction though is it's completely original idea behind the game.

All the rest are great also. The only one I was slightly dissatisfied with though was Full Throttle, and only because it's extremely short.