Your family tree

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by ChadM, Apr 7, 2005.

1. ChadM

ChadM Stunt Coordinator

My great-grandmother's sister just passed, she was 100. At the funeral, I noticed some of my relatives huddled around a grave not too far away. It turns out this was the grave of her parents. It struck me that this information is well on the way to being lost and that I should research and document some of this information.

Just wondering how to get started? Anyone ever tried this website (www.ancestry.com)? Want to share your experiences (tools, techniques, etc) with researching your family history?

2. Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson Cinematographer

I recently just started working on mine. Luckily my mother did a significant amount of work 20 years ago, and it's all documented in binders, so the large majority of the work is already done, and just needs to be typed in. I also want to add pictures, burial locations, etc...

I picked up Family Tree Legends (http://www.familytreelegends.com/)
    and it seems to be working quite well for us. It automatically backs up your data to the Internet, and you can publish it to the Internet automatically also. It's fairly cheap and supposedly can be integrated in to more expensive packages if so desired.

3. Todd K

Todd K Second Unit

I'm actually looking around for something similar -- a lot of my family tree data is already stored online, but I'm looking for a (preferrably free) way to simply print it out in tree format. These records I have go back to many of my 9th and 10th great grandparents (from as early as 1545!!) and I'd just like to see the generations printed up on something where I can see them all at once.

4. Leila Dougan

Leila Dougan Screenwriter

If you're crafty enough, you can create your own tree using Visio, or even Word. It just takes more time and effort than using geneology software.

I think it's great you know your history that far back! On my dad's side, another relative pretty much took care of all the research and we can trace it back to the early 1800's. His family is from Scotland so I suppose if we went there and did more research it's possible we could go back further. My mom, on the other hand, doesn't know anything beyond her grandparents. She's Palestinian and all the records were lost during the numerous wars and such. She doesn't even have a birth certificate or school records because they were all destroyed in a fire at their "city hall". The only information we have is what we found in my grandmother's family bible. If your family has such a thing, check it out because ours has all sorts of lineage info in it, even if it's not complete. Better than nothing!

5. John Spencer

John Spencer Supporting Actor

Yeah, keeping a family tree is important, I think. And it's very neat to see a working one. When my mother started putting ours together, we found out that our family is related to the Spencer family of Princess Di fame, if you go back 10 generations. Also, according to my mother's father, his geneaology (Moore), crosses with Thomas More the English poet. I'll never be able to prove it, but our family is definitely whitebread enough to have come from Britain long ago.

6. Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson Cinematographer

Definitely don't use the software that I mentioned above then. I think it's a great program, but the one restriction is that none of the reports go back more than 3 generations. You could print multiple reports and then tape them together, I suppose, but there is no built in support. (It's one of the few things that frustrate me, but for $30 it's working great)

7. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

My brother uses Reunion to manage his data. Last time I checked, it contained tens of thousands of records,, stretching back 1500 years or so. (The trick, or so I'm told, is to find a well documented royal descent.)

8. Yee-Ming

Yee-Ming Producer

Yee Ming Lim

The other day I came across this, which tracks just about every legitimate descendent of Sophia, Electress of Hanover, i.e. every person in line to the British throne.
    http://members.aol.com/eurostamm/succession_2001.html
    Although as the disclaimer says, not every person is actually eligible and the site makes no determination on this.

9. andrew markworthy

Any of you folks with British ancestry might find the following site of interest:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/familyhistory/

It not only gives general guidance on finding your Brit ancestors, but it also gives links to the key on-line databases (and a surprising amount is available on-line).

By strange coincidence, I'm just starting on my family's ancestral tree. We once had my mother's side well worked out, until a (literally) insane colleague stole and burnt some of my papers, including all the ancestral records and photos of various ancestors going back well into the 19th century. I can't blame my colleague (she was after all, seriously ill and didn't know what she was doing) but after that point I never found her all that endearing either. So now it's back to square one.

On my father's side we do know that a key branch of the family is the Blaylock family of modern-day Cumbria (in north-west England - used to be called Cumberland and Westmorland), an offshoot of which is, I believe, responsible for Blaylock County, Tennessee. Please can anyone tell me what Blaylock County is like?

10. John Spencer

Andrew, I haven't heard of Blaylock County. And I can't find anything in my history books about a county that used to be called Blaylock. At least not in Tennessee.
    There does seem to be a large population of Blaylocks in middle Tennessee, however. A Google search brought up a slew of links involving them.

11. andrew markworthy

John, thanks for the info. Thanks for the info re: the non-existence of Blaylock County - I got it from some notes written by one of my ancestors. Given that they were just plain wrong in other respects, why I should have accepted his statement about there being a county named after that branch of the family is beyond me.

12. ZacharyTait

ZacharyTait Cinematographer

My family had a family tree book done about 30 years ago just after my sister was born, so most of the work has been done. I think sometime in the next 5 years I'm going to work on updating it and correcting it if nescessary.

13. John Spencer

Well, Andrew, to be fair, it may depend upon how long ago your ancestors were in the state. The area where there is a heavy concentration of Blaylocks may have been referred to by such a name 150 to 200 years ago. There was a time when my family lived in Denmark, TN and it was the largest town in the county. Then Jackson took that title around the time of the US Civil War and Denmark isn't even on most maps besides a county one.

14. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

It's easier for me to figure out my dad's side of my family tree. The most I know is that my grandfather moved over here from England when he was 5 or 6, being the only one of him and his siblings born there. My grandmother grew up in Newburyport Mass and her family has lived there for a long time due to all the cemetary plots in a particular cemetary there. I really gotta find out more. My grandmother told me there's Lords and Ladies somewhere along the line in grandfather's family. I'm pretty sure Herbert Henry Asquith, one of the British Prime Ministers is somewhere in there as well. Because of that it would make his son Anthony who directed the 1950s version of The Importance of Being Earnest(as well as some other stuff), and his great-granddaughter who is Helena Bonham Carter(I'm sure we all or most know her here) part of my family tree. I might be wrong about the connection though.

My mom's side is is a lot harder to research. My mom was adopted and when we met her family we found out that most are low life drug and alcohol using, pathological lying dead beats that even the worst crimals in prison would touch with a 20 foot pole. It makes it very hard to trust or believe anything they say. Because of all this I consider my grandmother(the one who adopted my mom) and her family my biological family, even though technically it isn't true. She'll always be my real grandmother though.