What's new

Your experience moving from a receiver to seperates? (1 Viewer)

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
I will try that.

Do you own this receiver, or have done this?

I *tired*, but don't know if it worked. Need to leave for work now.

Andy_A

Second Unit
I have the avr-325, which has many of the same features and setup type options. I have also read the owner's manual for the 635.

Andy_A

Second Unit
hmm, from what I understand this should not be the case. Hopefully HK will be able to shed some light on the issue. Let us know what you find out

I used to have an HK 630 which I assume works in the same way. Speaker sizes are universal, meaning if I set my fronts to small in CD mode, it's the same for DVD, TV, etc. However, crossover settings can be unique for each input. You must tell the receiver not to use global x-over settings (I forgot the actual setting name) and then the receiver will remember your x-over settings per source.

Setting your fronts to small and putting a low x-over point will give you fronts+sub in stereo mode.

I don't believe the HK has a direct mode like some onkyos which bypass the bass management all together.

Andy_A

Second Unit
ah, that makes sense. I was having trouble with it myself. You're right--I think the only direct mode is on the multi-ins, and even those can be manipulated on this HK..

It seems like they could make it so that there are differenct speaker configs (size and crossover) for different inputs. Say if I wanted VID 3 for only stereo w/ fronts set as large and no sub, but DVD for 5 small + a subwoofer. It sounds like one could almost achieve these results, but would be forced to use the subwoofer no matter what.

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
BINGO!

Don't know what I did wrong before, but it works.

I can have it set to:

-L/R + LFE (bass signal goes to the sub AND mains, full range)
-Large speakers and the sub (same as above, but if there is a dedicated LFE channel, it does not go to the mains, but the mains run their full signal)
Small speakers and the sub - I can set a 40, 60, 80, etc. Hz. X-over and still have the sub running.

This is all in the context of (surround off) mode, which is stereo with no EQ, DSP, etc.

Wew, I was getting REALLY worried there.

amatala

Stunt Coordinator
You can configure your AVR 63x or 43x (I own a 430) in such way that all signal below the crossover point goes to both the subwoofer and the fronts - basically this is what you did. In this case the sub will play even in Stereo DSP Off mode.
But you can also configure the .1 channel to go to both the subwoofer and the fronts (or even subwoofer + surrounds !) if you want to. This is what I'm currently using when listening to music DVDs, the sub stays off and the mains (full range floorstanders) also play the .1 channel.
These receivers are extremely versatile, you just need to take your time and read the manual properly and you'll be able to tweak them up in countless ways.

MarkWC

Stunt Coordinator
I will let everyone know what my take is once I actually get my new pre/pro and amp of the dock - living on an island definitely has its downsides taking into consdieration 33.33% duty on invoiced amount, shipping and about an extra $50 for customs clearance.

But................when everything is said and done I am anticipating a very apparent upgrade from an Onkyo 700 to and Athem AVM30 and PVA7 Amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks