Your experience as you viewed your first movie on your new toy

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DaleI, Feb 5, 2003.

1. DaleI

DaleI Stunt Coordinator

You have just purchased a widescreen RPTV, have calibrated it using either Avia or Video essentials and
    are about to watch your first dvd movie on it--akin to
    christening a ship with a champaign bottle.

1) What movie did you use for your christening--I mean for your first viewing and why?
    2) Describe your thoughts and first impressions about the RPTV as the movie was playing on your new toy and of course, what RPTV model was it. As the movie played, Did you "know" immediately that you made the right decision regarding the set?

I'll be able to answer my own question(s) in a month or two when I get my first widescreen RPTV.

2. Brent Hutto

Brent Hutto Supporting Actor

We don't have an RPTV (I think they are a pain to set up and use and we sit close enough to our 36" direct-view that the picture it pretty big) but here's my answers anyway.

3. SteveK

SteveK Supporting Actor

Dale- Like Brent, I don't have an RPTV. I do have a 32" Sony Wega direct view TV (4:3), which was an upgrade from a 27" Zenith. I don't remember the first movie I watched on it, but I do remember NOT being satisfied at first, even after calibrating with Avia. The greyscale on my Sony was extremely inaccurate, resulting in a heavy red emphasis and all colors being off. But once I had it professionally calibrated by Greg Loewe (sp?), I was absolutely delighted with my purchase, and I remain so to this day. Sometimes I just can't believe how good it looks, particularly with some of the newest reference DVDs. Combine a great picture with my 5.1 audio setup (including Paradigm speakers and an SVS sub), and I am 100% satisfied with my system. No, I don't have HDTV, I don't have widescreen (but the Wega does have a 16:9 mode), I don't have Paradigm's top of the line speakers, but I am perfectly content with my system. It's not home theater in a box and it's not a "money is no object" system, but it certainly provides a lot of viewing and listening pleasure. It was worth every penny of what I spent for it.

Steve K.

4. Masood Ali

Masood Ali Supporting Actor

1)Gone in 60 Seconds, because I had coincendentally rented it right before ours was delivered.
    2)Toshiba 50HX70, and given the fact that our old set was near death when we replaced it (loss of contrast and color), I had no regrets about the purchase. The old set was a 25" tube, so watching the movie on the new set was night & day; even before calibrating it, I was ecstatic.

5. mark alan

mark alan Supporting Actor

If I had put in a RPTV, I would have put in Lord of the Rings. Then I would have thought.

Why is the picture so small?
    Why is the picture quality so bad?
    Why is there a big heavy box cluttering up my room?

That is why I got a projector[​IMG] If your room is at all right for it, go front projection!!!

6. Alan M

Alan M Second Unit

Having just bought an rptv 1 month ago(tosh 65h82),its still fresh in my mind.Previous tv was a 10 yr old rca 52 rptv.
    Reign of fire was purchased just days before my tv arrived,so that was the movie of choice.
    1st thought,NOW this is what home threatre is supposed to be.I was extremely happy with my choice,and still am.

Good luck and happy hunting on your new tv.

7. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Well my toy was a FPTV and not a RPTV. I used Attack Of The Clones as my first demo, simply because I had heard just how amazing it looked and I was floored. The scene that particularly got me was the chase in the asteroid field and the explosions when the two mines were released by Jango Fett. Note that this was before AVIA calibration and before ISF calibration as well.

8. Carlos Picart

I used an assortment of firsties, I was lucky to have friends over at the time.. watching only certain scenes.. my list:

Any Given Sunday - the opening sequence, the detail of the grass on the field, the close up's of the ball, all of it looked amazing. Screen was bright. Made me feel great about the set.

Gladiator - was a bit dark. I watched the initial battle scene.

Spiderman - wanted some material the fit the screen perfectly, I wasn't disappointed. scenes were bright and looked amazing. Watched the Time Square sequence with the Green Goblin

Black Hawk Down - watched the initial mission sequence where things went wrong.

Lord of the Rings - The panoramic sequences during the fellowships journey.

Toy Story - this is where all our jobs dropped. Detail was amazing.

Overall I found myself just tossing in discs to see what the image looked like. I have the Sony 46 inch, 16:9 HDTV set. I have not been disappointed at all. Now watching movies isn't just something to pass the time, it's an event. Everyone that has walked into my house and watched the TV have said the image is amazing.. it's not like other big screens (it's much clearer), and that they are surprised the viewing angles are so broad. Needless to say I'm a very happy customer!

9. Michael Silla

Michael Silla Second Unit

Gladiator was my first,

Lately - I'd say in the last month or so I have been watching less and less movies as I have had a hard time prying the HDTV remote from my hands.

Now I am back in the movie saddle [​IMG]

Other favorites include "Behind enemy lines" and amazingly enough "Shallow Hal" which has some of the most vibrant color I have ever viewed on my set (a Hit 53UWX10BA)

Michael

10. ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool Producer

ManW
    1. Lilo & Stitch -- because the kids took over (as usual!) and L&S was newly bought. Despite all the raves about PQ, I must recommend AGAINST this choice as your first DVD, especially if you're making the jump from a smallish TV. I'll explain later. My choice would've been LotR:FotR:EE since THAT was the movie that pushed us over the edge...

2. First impressions w/ L&S on the new Panny 53wx42 at 8ft away? What the heck is wrong w/ my new TV?!?! [​IMG] Yes, the colors were awesome and the picture vibrant even before proper setup (and some further tweaking)--contrast was turned down of course and sharpness also w/ SVM off. But what the heck is all the ghosting I see, especially around the white opening credits?!?! [​IMG]

LOL! It took me a few days, some experimenting w/ various other DVDs and the TV settings and some discussions here and elsewhere before I figured out THIS is what EXCESSIVE EDGE ENHANCEMENT looks like, especially the bad cases that Disney is notorious for. Before this, we used a 5-year-old 32" Toshiba direct-view, and was never bothered by EE. But boy, the Panny 53" sure made the EE apparent, and some of the EE is downright unbearable like the white credits on non-black backgrounds. Even the opening credits on MIB 2 looked downright awful despite having mostly near-black backgrounds.

So take my advice and approach your Disney animation DVDs w/ much caution. And if you see ghosting along sharp and/or thick outlines of images, it's probably excessive EE.

It's funny though that I've seen extremely few new owners of RPTVs (or other big displays) comment on excessive EE. Maybe they just haven't gotten around to watching any Disney animation DVDs?? It's hard to believe anybody who'd read and post to HTF can miss them.

Anyway, my general impressions of the RPTV's PQ early on was that it looks softer and grainer than the direct-view and not completely satisfying. But after the initial adjusting period of a few weeks and break-in plus Avia setup and some further tweaking, I'm finding that the PQ is actually very good and much more film-like and cinematic than any direct-view I've ever seen. [​IMG] And so far, everyone else agrees, including a co-worker who's now tempted to upgrade as well. [​IMG] Yeah, direct-views may look better in some ways, but they are not necessarily more faithful to the presentation of movies. And certainly, the size, especially for wide movies like LotR, really makes a tremendous difference as far as I'm concerned.

And don't forget the quality of true HD content. That's where the new TV really shines [​IMG] although not all the HD content I've seen so far are way better than the best DVDs. Also, I see particularly distracting compression artifacts and interlaced artifacts from time to time w/ the 1080i stuff coming from my cable provider. For example, compression artifacts are very noticeable w/ high action scenes like in last night's episode of Kingpin during the explosive destruction of a drug dealer's production site from the attack of an army tank.

BTW, I also watched Shallow Hal 2x now on HBO HD. Never got it on DVD nor saw it in the theaters. Looked great in HD. [​IMG] I missed Pulp Fiction the other night. [​IMG] Only movie in HD I got to compare w/ DVD on the new TV so far is A Beautiful Mind. The HBO HD version generally looked more detailed, sharper and more life-like, but did not exactly blow the DVD away.

FWIW, I'm still just using an interlaced Toshiba player, so DVDs should presumably look a better w/ a good progressive scan player, whenever I finally settle on one that is. [​IMG]

YMMV of course, except maybe for the excessive EE thing. [​IMG]

_Man_